Is it normal to feel like this in your early 20's?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm

As if you're perpetually 17 and shouldn't be trusted to be an adult. Is it normal to have this - existential crisis you could say - about the fact you're somehow an adult and you're supposed to be making adult decisions like what you want to do with your life, but you feel like you haven't even experienced life properly yet, so deciding what to do with it seems like a daunting task.

I assume so. At the start of lockdown, I was 20. Now I'm almost 22. I don't feel comfortable with myself and I feel like I'm reverting back to my teenage self. Hopefully this insecurity isn't a built in feature, I'd like to like myself someday. To feel comfortable in my own skin. Rather than a fraud. I think the lockdown is getting to me. These days I don't even feel like myself anymore. I'm not sure who she is.

You've been hit by, you've been struck by, an identity crisis. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 5:22 pm

Once you get a job after getting your degree, I'm sure your feelings will change.

I don't get why you think you're a "fraud."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 5:22 pm

I'm three times your age, and I've never felt older than about 14. Honestly.

I developed the skills of an adult in some regards, but on the inside I'm still an insecure adolescent.

Embrace who you are. Everything else will take care of itself. Congrats on finishing school, by the way!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 5:24 pm

I'm 36 and rarely feel older than my early teens.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 5:33 pm

I'm 20 and stopped "feeling older" when I was around 12-14. Being an adult is terrifying when you don't feel like one at all. lmao

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 6:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I developed the skills of an adult in some regards, but on the inside I'm still an insecure adolescent.

Embrace who you are. Everything else will take care of itself. Congrats on finishing school, by the way!

Unfortunately, it's not over just yet. I still have my final three assignments to finish and hand in. The final hurdle. My last deadline is 6th May, once that's handed in...all that's left to do is wait for my results and keep working on my portfolio. My student pass runs out in August, so that's when I'm officially no longer a student.

I'm still not entirely sure what's next...I've been looking into the process of working up to be a UI designer, which is a strong possibility I'm considering at the moment.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not over just yet. I still have my final three assignments to finish and hand in. The final hurdle. My last deadline is 6th May, once that's handed in...all that's left to do is wait for my results and keep working on my portfolio. My student pass runs out in August, so that's when I'm officially no longer a student.

I'm still not entirely sure what's next...I've been looking into the process of working up to be a UI designer, which is a strong possibility I'm considering at the moment.

I'll tell you a secret: No one your age, graduating or not, knows what they're doing. It's totally normal to have no idea "what's next". Life isn't planned out for young adults the way it used to be. My daughter is 24 and doesn't have a clue what she's doing tomorrow let alone in the future. It's OK. One day at a time.

May 6th will come and go. August will come and go. Life keeps changing even with the best laid plans.

We've got your back though, if you have a rough day.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 8:36 pm

I feel older than a teenager but younger than an adult, like I haven't aged since 20 or 21.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 8:56 pm

I feel like I'm 21. I don't feel that I've aged at all.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:14 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
As if you're perpetually 17 and shouldn't be trusted to be an adult. Is it normal to have this - existential crisis you could say - about the fact you're somehow an adult and you're supposed to be making adult decisions like what you want to do with your life, but you feel like you haven't even experienced life properly yet, so deciding what to do with it seems like a daunting task.

I assume so. At the start of lockdown, I was 20. Now I'm almost 22. I don't feel comfortable with myself and I feel like I'm reverting back to my teenage self. Hopefully this insecurity isn't a built in feature, I'd like to like myself someday. To feel comfortable in my own skin. Rather than a fraud. I think the lockdown is getting to me. These days I don't even feel like myself anymore. I'm not sure who she is.

I am surprised you feel that way.
You are the most mature 21 year old I have ever met, as I mentioned a year or so ago.

But you are feeling what you are feeling, and I have no desire to invalidate your feelings.
I hope you resolve the situation soon.

Are you having anxiety problems as a result of being close to finishing your studies? :scratch:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Once you get a job after getting your degree, I'm sure your feelings will change.

I don't get why you think you're a "fraud."

Agreed. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

LostDragon has finishes skool?
Well, I guess that is the cause of what is happening.
That was my best bet, initially.
8)

Ignore what I said. 8)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:20 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

I still get treated and feel like that at more then double that age!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I'll tell you a secret: No one your age, graduating or not, knows what they're doing. It's totally normal to have no idea "what's next". Life isn't planned out for young adults the way it used to be. My daughter is 24 and doesn't have a clue what she's doing tomorrow let alone in the future. It's OK. One day at a time.

May 6th will come and go. August will come and go. Life keeps changing even with the best laid plans.

We've got your back though, if you have a rough day.

Agreed.
I didn't have a clue who the hell and what the hell I was, at 21.

Lost Dragon is a smart kookie, and will adapt. 8)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 10:11 pm

Pepe wrote:

Lost Dragon is a smart kookie, and will adapt. 8)

+1

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 7:05 pm