Page 10 of 14 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:42 pm

ironpony wrote:
This is what I thought as well but I was told that even if the non criminals are also diverse that people will still see it being racist if I make any one of the criminals non-white, because that's just how people are nowadays, or so I was advised.

but maybe it's because the actor I had in mind for the main character who gets revenge on them is a white actor so maybe that's why. I didn't have him in mind because he was white I just thought he was a good actor on previous projects to work with.

Maybe he can be your villain this time around? 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:20 pm

Cancel Culture Doesn't Excite 10 pages now. : :P

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Cancel Culture Doesn't Excite 10 pages now. : :P

I guess cancel culture does excite after all. :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:
This is what I thought as well but I was told that even if the non criminals are also diverse that people will still see it being racist if I make any one of the criminals non-white, because that's just how people are nowadays, or so I was advised.

but maybe it's because the actor I had in mind for the main character who gets revenge on them is a white actor so maybe that's why. I didn't have him in mind because he was white I just thought he was a good actor on previous projects to work with.

Maybe he can be your villain this time around? 8)

He's just not fit for that part I don't think though. I guess I just feel it's best to have the actors fit the parts, rather than be cast based on race, related to the parts.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Well it's with people of color you can usually tell without having to ask personal questions, where as I think with someone's sexual orientation for example, it's not appropriate to ask and you should just go with the actor who gives the best acting in the audition I find.

I'm curious how many heterosexual male actors would be willing to do a love-scene with another man? even if they did it (for the money or role) would it be authentic?

Oh well Heath Ledger did such a love scene for Brokeback Mountain even though he married one of his female co-starts from the movie at the time so I assume he was straight, and so many people praised his performance for example. So I didn't think it would be a problem but I still thought it was best to hire based on performance rather than personal beliefs.

Heath Ledger was an exception actor and willing to take risks. I am not sure most other actors would. Can you imagine Jason Statham and the Dwayne the rock Johnson doing a love scene?

If you want authentic performance then a gay or bisexual actor would be preferable.

Well, actors don't take any job. I doubt the Rock would be interested in a role. Colin firth has very successfully played a number of gay roles.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 6:58 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Well, actors don't take any job. I doubt the Rock would be interested in a role. Colin firth has very successfully played a number of gay roles.

There's also budget considerations. If you have a major move producer with a large budget for a blockbuster then you are going to hire a Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp or Colin Firth or similar A-list actor to bring in crowds to the box-office but who are also versatile enough to play a gay role. Secondly the role may/may not have love scenes or may not require the actor to do anything sexual. Holywood actors are also secretive about their sexuality (e.g. Kevin Spacey, Sylvester Stallone or John Travolta) and it would not surprise me if the late Heath Ledger was bisexual.

In Star Trek Discovery there were female lesbian characters (one is Blu Del Barrio) who identify as non-binary in real life. Another actor Anthony Rapp identifies as queer but plays a fully gay character in star trek. Both actors do full on mouth kisses and while neither identify as "gay" they are suitable candidates due to their lifestyle to play that type of role.

The rock, Jason Statham, Schwatzneggar or Vin Diesel are type cast so are unlikely to accept gay roles.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:23 pm

Well I feel that for some people to have this idealogy that only gay people should play characters or vice versa is just not fair for actors wanting certain roles. Imagine if Neil Patrick Harris didn't get the role on How I Met Your Mother for example, because he wasn't straight. Would that have been fair if only straight actors could have had a straight character part?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:31 pm

ironpony wrote:
Imagine if Neil Patrick Harris didn't get the role on How I Met Your Mother for example, because he wasn't straight. Would that have been fair if only straight actors could have had a straight character part?

My understanding is that you can't hold a person's gender identity against playing a straight role? Neil Patrick Harris perfectly suited the role he played in "How I met your mother" in as much as David Hyde Pierce perfectly (virtually without blemish) played the role of Dr Niles Crane in Frasier despite being gay.

British actor Stephen Fry has played plenty of straight roles he was perfectly suited for despite being gay. Kristen Stewart was the role model for every teenage girl in Twighlight despite being bisexual.

Gay or non-binary actors can fit into roles if they are good, It has nothing to do with their sexuality if they know how to play a straight character (most gay people do this easily), However playing a gay character takes some nuance and if the actor isn't gay then it requires considerable investment in research/method acting to pull it off.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:35 pm

Oh okay, so you are saying it's more okay for a gay actor to play a straight role than the other way around then?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:56 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, so you are saying it's more okay for a gay actor to play a straight role than the other way around then?

Actually that's a good point. The gay actors I've referred to are also A-listers (with the exception of De Barrio). I think its going to be based on merit at the end of the day, For example I never knew that two of my favourite female actresses, Anna Pacquin and Jodie Foster were bisexual and gay respectively. They play their roles so well.

I think for a straight person to play a gay role is harder, but I was impressed by Zendaya in "Euphoria" who in addition to playing a gay role also pulled off being a drug addict despite her clean Disney princess upbringing.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 9:41 pm

Well I guess at the end of the day, I feel like if I am asking actors questions on their sexual orientation, politics, etc, and hiring based off that, that I would be discriminating or 'token-izing', and I don't want to do that in my hiring.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 1:39 am

ironpony wrote:
Well I guess at the end of the day, I feel like if I am asking actors questions on their sexual orientation, politics, etc, and hiring based off that, that I would be discriminating or 'token-izing', and I don't want to do that in my hiring.

I think if the role is advertised as playing a gay person then it would filter out innapropriate actors so it shouldn't be necessary to ask the actor their sexual orientation. If they are comfortable playing love scenes then you will be able to tell when they do their audition.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:08 am

That's true, and how I wanted to do it, but I other filmmakers advise me to not hire an actor that does not match the sexual orientation of the character to avoid offending anyone or creating any backlash. I could do that if that's the best way to go, I just feel uncomfortable and unprofessional asking actors what their sexual orientations are for a job though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 3:34 pm

ironpony wrote:
That's true, and how I wanted to do it, but I other filmmakers advise me to not hire an actor that does not match the sexual orientation of the character to avoid offending anyone or creating any backlash. I could do that if that's the best way to go, I just feel uncomfortable and unprofessional asking actors what their sexual orientations are for a job though.

there is some commercial appeal [more $$$$$$$ box office potential] to hiring a dreamboat straight actor to play the gay role. remember your gay audience.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
there is some commercial appeal [more $$$$$$$ box office potential] to hiring a dreamboat straight actor to play the gay role. remember your gay audience.

Brilliant point...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:01 pm

Gays have always been paid top dollar to play straight roles. Lawrence Olivier, Rock Hudson, Tallulah Bankhead, Kelly Macgillis, Jody Foster, The guy who plays Sheldon Leonard, etc.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 17 Jun 2021, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.