Page 11 of 14 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:04 pm

what a world, where straights play gay and gays play straight. a crazy, mixed-up shook up world.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 10:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what a world, where straights play gay and gays play straight. a crazy, mixed-up shook up world.

La-la-la-la Lola

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 10:36 pm

:dj:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 10:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Gays have always been paid top dollar to play straight roles. Lawrence Olivier, Rock Hudson, Tallulah Bankhead, Kelly Macgillis, Jody Foster, The guy who plays Sheldon Leonard, etc.

My mother absolutely loved Rock Hudson

Kelly MacGillis!! well there goes another boyhood fantasy 8O

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 11:28 pm

Well one of the points I was thinking about how is back in the old days (not too long ago), you were not allowed to fire someone from a job or career, on the basis of their religion, sex lives, politics, etc. And this is what cancel culture is, is going against that old fashion decency we had a few years ago, in the professional world.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 7:42 am

ironpony wrote:
Well one of the points I was thinking about how is back in the old days (not too long ago), you were not allowed to fire someone from a job or career, on the basis of their religion, sex lives, politics, etc. And this is what cancel culture is, is going against that old fashion decency we had a few years ago, in the professional world.

Cancel Culture is not about canceling people over how they were born. It is about canceling people perceived to have said or done something bigoted.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:01 am

But the problem with cancel culture is anyone can be cancelled for anything, and not just saying something bigotted. That's the problem, is there are no rules, and it seems it could be over anything.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:35 am

ironpony wrote:

There is nothing "old fashioned" about the 'decency' of which you speak. And it took the state to enforce that "decency".

In the old days you could very well be fired for your race, creed, religion, or sexual orientation. That was outlawed in 1964 in the civil rights act which outlawed descrimination in housing and employment based on race. It was later expanded to include the rest-including sexual orientation.

But apparently you are saying that there is now an appearance of a newer kind of descrimination - and that its descrimination against folks of a certain creed- the creed of racism/bigotry. That we are now starting to descriminate against folks for...believing in descrimination?

That maybe true of public figures in the media ( like movie stars getting into career trouble for letting racist sentiments escape their lips). But I dont see that is happening to regular folks in the regular workplace or regular life. And even if it is happening - is descriminating against folks for...being in favor of descrimination a bad thing?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:21 pm

Well it just feels hypocritical because people who do the cancelling, do not have perfect pasts, and I'm sure if you dig deep enough, you will find dirt on them too. So I don't feel that people have the right to cancel, when they themselves have dirt in their pasts and skeletons in their own closests so to speak. That's why it feels hypocritical.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:22 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well it just feels hypocritical because people who do the cancelling, do not have perfect pasts, and I'm sure if you dig deep enough, you will find dirt on them too. So I don't feel that people have the right to cancel, when they themselves have dirt in their pasts and skeletons in their own closests so to speak. That's why it feels hypocritical.

People are judged on their actions. If they don't have perfect pasts then they are subject to social judgement/appraisal as well.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:28 pm

Well it seems that cancel culture is mostly on twitter, but how come no one ever tries to dig up dirt on the cancellers themselves though? Or maybe they do and it happens more often than I think.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:30 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well it seems that cancel culture is mostly on twitter, but how come no one ever tries to dig up dirt on the cancellers themselves though? Or maybe they do and it happens more often than I think.

They do, have you heard about what happened to Chrissy Tiegan?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 9:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

They do, have you heard about what happened to Chrissy Tiegan?

Oh I just read about it now. Interesting. Well I feel that cancel culture does get out of hand sometimes. I remember there was a story in the news around the election where someone was fired from their job because their employer found out that they voted republican. But people are allowed to vote for the government they want in an election and felt things like that do not count as doing anything wrong, if the law says you can vote for who you want for example. Things like that is where I feel it can get out of hand, because there are no rules.

They use to have rules that you could not be fired for your political beliefs, or what you do in your love life, etc, but not anymore it seems.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 10:02 pm

ironpony wrote:
They use to have rules that you could not be fired for your political beliefs, or what you do in your love life, etc, but not anymore it seems.

Is this a thing? When my mother was working she hired an assistant back in the early 1980s who was openly a conservative who disliked poor people (she thought they bought their poverty on themselves), The clients they both worked with (social work) fitted this category but despite this the lady was actually really good at her job and she looked after her clients. They liked her. In theory her personality/beliefs didn't suit this type of employment (and she and my mum never got on with each other) but my mother always said she was the best social worker she ever worked with,

Your political beliefs don't matter so long as you can do your job, I also work with plenty of selfish bastards on both the left and right wing politically, Your politics doesn't change your personality or your capacity to do a job.

I guess you didn't expect me to say that did you :lol:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 2:19 am

Oh I wasn't expecting any particular answer really?

It just seems that way nowadays though with cancel culture or the way people seem to be, that your political beliefs, seem more important than how you do the job...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 2:36 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh I wasn't expecting any particular answer really?

It just seems that way nowadays though with cancel culture or the way people seem to be, that your political beliefs, seem more important than how you do the job...

Probably depends on the job :D