Page 4 of 14 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 3:25 am

It excites right wingers who watch Tucker Carlson...or should I say Tucker KKKarlson.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 3:26 am

that bastard can go straight to the devil who owns the soul of that piece of work.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 3:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
that bastard can go straight to the devil who owns the soul of that piece of work.

Even the devil doesn't want it anymore...He is trying to figure out where on the internet he can sell it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 3:38 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Even the devil doesn't want it anymore...He is trying to figure out where on the internet he can sell it.

i think he could claim his property anytime now...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 3:50 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
It excites right wingers who watch Tucker Carlson...or should I say Tucker KKKarlson.

Apparently saying this draws the ire of even moderate WP members :lol:

It's not rocket science....conservatives are getting their veritable jollies from frothing at the mouth over "cancel culture"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 4:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

It's not rocket science....conservatives are getting their veritable jollies from frothing at the mouth over "cancel culture"

Well it's true, that man uses every trick in the nazi book...things like pretending to not even know what white supremacism is...I mean it is either denial or such a severe lack of awareness of the world that he should be in a supported living home not on t.v.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 4:22 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well it's true, that man uses every trick in the nazi book...things like pretending to not even know what white supremacism is...I mean it is either denial or such a severe lack of awareness of the world that he should be in a supported living home not on t.v.

I'm just curious whether they copy others before them? did he get mentored by Rush Limbaugh for example. Our conservative deplorables who come the radio airwaves tend to nurture each other's toxic views.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 8:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Cancel culture definitely excites conservatives because they are the only ones who talk about it

You are going to trigger MAGA's by calling Barack Obama, Bernie Sanders, Noam Chomsky, and Gloria Steinem "conservative".

cyberdad wrote:
The Library of Congress puts books on "cancel culture" in the fiction section along with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Link, please.

Really AS? the people you linked to were responding to questions not constructing white papers.

No need for a link....it was a joke. I should rephrase - "If" the library of congress.....

They answered the question in a way that says they are against cancel culture.

Oh please read the articles. Take Obama for example - firstly it says he made a "rare foray into cultural conversation". That means the topic "Does not excite him"

Secondly Obama said “The world is messy; there are ambiguities,” he continued. “People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you.”

He is telling the kids to keep some perspective. He is not speaking against activism or trying to be anti-woke.

He is not speaking out against activism or being progressive, he is speaking out against the against calling out or canceling people for not being perfect.

Just because it is his second time speaking about a topic does not mean he does not fell passionate about it. In social media post Trump era it is easy to forget if one remembers at all that it was an expectation that ex presidents were expected and did not weigh in on topics much and when they did do it in a non divisive and general manner. That he did speak out is actually an indication that he is passionate about the subject.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 2:35 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Just because it is his second time speaking about a topic does not mean he does not fell passionate about it. In social media post Trump era it is easy to forget if one remembers at all that it was an expectation that ex presidents were expected and did not weigh in on topics much and when they did do it in a non divisive and general manner. That he did speak out is actually an indication that he is passionate about the subject.

I think it comes across as soft cautioning a group of young impressionable kids with good intentions....hardly a rebuke

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 8:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think it comes across as soft cautioning a group of young impressionable kids with good intentions....hardly a rebuke

Call it soft cautioning, harsh rebuke, or a paternalistic lecture there is nothing in his words that indicate he approves of their canceling.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 8:34 am

A much shorter thought:

I'm increasingly glad that there's more nuance coming behind a lot of it. Some of the posts I'm seeing on Facebook, for example, is women talking about the realities of being female and the societal challenges that come along with it - of a variety that I don't think they often shared much even with male friends in the past (and I'm seeing some degree of conversation on race like this but not quite as much - looking forward to more of it). That's the kind of change I'd actually get behind.

My hopes for this, if it gets primarily held or recaptured as a tool of reconciliation, it ideally should end up taking us to a more societally functional state. My concerns and criticisms of it in general is that it was so crowd-directed and mood intense in the mass-mind sense that it was ripe to be hijacked by con-artists, to some degree in various places that has happened but I'm at least feeling better to see that the chicanery isn't drowning out the conversations that are actually worth having - I just want to see cooler (liberal) heads set the rules and objectives, swing it from destruction to construction mode, and I think that's where more buy-in will actually happen anyway.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 2:02 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Call it soft cautioning, harsh rebuke, or a paternalistic lecture there is nothing in his words that indicate he approves of their canceling.

Which conversely not a ringing endorsement of right wingers incessantly whinging about cancel culture

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 12:15 pm

How ‘Cancel Culture’ Became An Issue For Young Republicans - FiveThirtyEight

Quote:
Many Americans don’t have an opinion about “cancel culture” — or even know what it is. Younger Americans tend to be more familiar with the term at this point, though this could change given how much the GOP is making it a part of its political playbook.

And it’s Republicans under the age of 45 who are really concerned about “cancel culture.”

One in 4 Republicans between the ages of 18 and 44 listed it as a top concern, compared to just 1 percent of Democrats in this same age group, according to a recent YouGov Blue poll.1 In fact, among younger Republicans, “cancel culture” ranked sixth in terms of overall importance, but for younger Democrats it ranked dead last.

That younger Republicans are more concerned than younger Democrats about “cancel culture” isn’t that surprising, given the amount of attention it’s getting from Republicans compared to Democrats. But the gap is important because it hints at what’s motivating younger Republicans in a party that is increasingly out of step with its youngest members — and it can tell us a lot about why Republicans are betting hard on a political strategy that relies on “cancel culture.”

For starters, the Republican Party doesn’t align itself with its youngest members on many policy matters. Poll after poll reveals wide, 20 point-plus gaps on a number of bread-and-butter conservative issues, with younger Republicans much more likely than older Republicans to favor same sex marriage and support expanding renewable energy, and much less likely to view illegal immigration as a big problem for the country.

Younger Republicans are also likely to say that they fear they will be ostracized for their political views. According to Vladimir Medenica, a political science professor at the University of Delaware and research consultant for the GenFoward Survey, (a national bimonthly survey of young adults age 18 to 36), younger Republicans are often far more liberal than older Republicans on many social issues. But, he said, “When we zoom out and think about a more macro-level or structural understanding of society, a lot of young whites look a lot like older whites in their fears of losing status or access in society.”

In fact, the largest bloc of young Republicans (ages 18 to 29) are white men, according to a 2018 survey from Tuft University’s Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, which found that among young voters, white men were the only racial or gender group to align with the GOP in the midterms. This is important because polling by the Public Religion Research Institute, also from 2018, found that 43 percent of young white men (ages 15 to 24) think that discrimination against white people has become as big a problem as discrimination against Black people and other minority groups. In fact, almost half said in that poll that diversity efforts will harm white people.

As Medenica told me, young people are facing real economic challenges as the country also undergoes demographic changes and shifts in political and social power, and that can result in a worldview that “society is changing and it is changing in ways that are threatening,” particularly to white people who feel like they are on the losing end.

Those threats are even more pronounced for young Republicans, given the political power and influence their young Democratic counterparts wield, said Melissa Deckman, a political science professor at Washington College who is working on a book about political mobilization in Generation Z. Deckman, who has been conducting surveys as well as in-depth interviews as part of her research, says that she has found a rise in the number of young women activists (both white women and women of color) who are forming nonprofit organizations to promote their causes and then using social media to organize politically. But this uptick in activism has largely been concentrated on the political left. “There’s not as much happening in terms of organizing among Gen Z on the political right, at least that I’ve been able to discern,” said Deckman.

The problem is, when it comes to this question of who is wielding political power and influence, those on the young left are often leading the conversation while those on the young right are largely defining their movement in opposition to views on the political left. However, one reason the right’s reactionary movement wields political power is that many of the tones underlying the debates over free speech on campuses are also playing out in conservative media outlets. Young Republicans are already more likely to be plugged into these outlets, like “The Ben Shapiro Show” and PragerU, making them the prime candidates to carry the“cancel culture” mantle.

According to Jessica Feezell, a political scientist at the University of New Mexico who studies youth political engagement, young people are discussing politics with friends more than they are volunteering for campaigns or donating money, which is how people have traditionally engaged with politics. Young people have grown up in a time when politics is more “expressive and conversational when compared to previous generations,” says Feezell.

And because much of that conservation is now happening online, there is also a debate raging on what is acceptable as part of that conversation, which Feezell told me also feeds into this perception that political discourse is being curbed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 12:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I'm just curious whether they copy others before them? did he get mentored by Rush Limbaugh for example. Our conservative deplorables who come the radio airwaves tend to nurture each other's toxic views.

Pat Buchanan invented a lot of Tucker's playbook.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 3:41 pm

One in 4 Republicans between the ages of 18 and 44 listed it as a top concern, compared to just 1 percent of Democrats in this same age group, according to a recent YouGov Blue poll.1 In fact, among younger Republicans, “cancel culture” ranked sixth in terms of overall importance, but for younger Democrats it ranked dead last.

I guess here's the data that buries conservative fantasies that lefties invented this. In my experience conservative youth have a really tough time debating issues with their left counterparts because they can't intellectually defend their position. So in recent times they have increasingly turned to their "free speech" being impinged as code for not being able to support outdated and divisive ideas so cherished by the right.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 7:16 am

With the current political agenda going on worldwide, there is a lot of cancel culture. Cancelling Trump. Cancelling any independent doctors or medical institutes, anything that questions the decisions taken by the elite, currently ruling the general population.

I like to listen to independent journalists, as they get us to think for ourselves and analyse what is going on, as opposed to the mainstream media who pushes their orders by telling us what to do.