Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 1:13 pm

I seem to think this pandemic makes you think about your own mortality and everyone else but it does worry me when their have been cases of younger people in hospital and so on even though they are the minority when most victims have been 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 year olds. I seem to have this absurd fixation that if you are over 30, you are more at risk of being hospitalised than someone under 30 as though the virus would go ''I can't make that person very sick because he is 29 and under the age of 30'' and then it finds someone who has just turned 31 and goes ''He's over 30 now so I'll make him really sick.'' I know it sounds ridiculous but that what it seems to be and it scares me a little when I hear of more 30 year olds in hospital than 20 year olds.

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2021, 8:19 am

It is strange and frightening. I don't think they know yet all the variables that come into how the virus affects each person. I don't read about it anymore, but I think they did find there are different strains of the virus, which can change the risk factors for long term damage or death.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 10:21 am

Well, some of them might have had other health problems beforehand that make the virus more dangerous to them. Even overweight is one of those problems, so an obese 20 year old is probably in more danger if they get covid than a healthy 50 year old. It could also be (note that this is just me guessing) that when some people get the virus, they think "nah, I'm young, it's no big deal" and don't take it easy, so it takes more of a toll on their body and eventually lands them in the hospital. And in some cases some young people might just have weaker immune systems even though they have nothing officially diagnosed.