Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:15 pm

I want to get a DNA test done like 23 & me or Ancestry DNA, I don't know my dad's side at all, but my mom's side claimed they were significantly Native American...

Two of my first cousins on my mom's side had a DNA ancestory test, one 23 and Me, one Ancestery

Both of them were 90% British Isles and ZERO Native American, lol! The Ancestry DNA test said the ethnic group were white settlers from the British Isles to the Appalachian Mountains... Okay Grandma came to Michigan from Kentucky, that wasn't a lie, lol!

BTW very little Neanderthal lol, 1%...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:28 pm

I'd like to get to know my Neanderthal ancestors.....

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:30 pm

My dad did mine.

Way less WASP than we thought.

Mostly Irish and a bit Asian.

My stepdad got racist at me over the Asian bit. He said 'oh don't worry it's not that much'.

But I'm happy to have it cos it means my growth isn't stunted. I'm 4"11 and have always hated being short.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:32 pm

I'd love to do a DNA test but I don't want companies storing my DNA either. They might sell it.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:37 pm

A person's ancestry is interesting stuff.

And while ancestry is a topic, https://phys.org/news/2013-08-dna-earth.html

August 8, 2013
Researcher uses DNA to demonstrate just how closely everyone on Earth is related to everyone else
by Susan Bell, University of Southern California

Quote:
... "The fact that everyone has two parents means that the number of ancestors for each individual doubles every generation," Ralph said. "By using basic mathematics, we can calculate that ten generations ago each individual had a thousand ancestors, and 20 generations ago they had a million and so on.

"But when we get to 40 generations ago, in the time of Charlemagne, we arrive at a trillion ancestors and that is a problem because we now have more ancestors than there were people. Thus one can deduce that a lot of those ancestors must be the same person." ...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:46 pm

23 and me connected my cousin to a DNA match, that person in turn is closely related to two of my great grandparents, who were married lol...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:46 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
I'd love to do a DNA test but I don't want companies storing my DNA either. They might sell it.
My main concern is that because my brothers tom-catted around a lot, I might have some nephews and nieces who would come around looking for a "settlement" of some kind from me just for being related.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:50 pm

All I know about my dad's side is a name, his last name turns out to be a British surname... Umm it looks like my mom's side is very significantly from that area... Hmmm.... I guess I'm really British, lol!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 4:56 pm

Angnix wrote:
All I know about my dad's side is a name, his last name turns out to be a British surname... Umm it looks like my mom's side is very significantly from that area... Hmmm.... I guess I'm really British, lol!

Ya mean...your ancestors did some swimming in their own gene pool... so to speak? :lol:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 6:16 pm

Ancestry DNA tests are bogus scams. There has been investigations by both Inside Edition, and Marketplace(CBC) where they took identical twins, took the same test at the same company and got two different results, not to mention different results across different companies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 12:34 am

I'd like to get one of those tests done, just to see what surprises might be puked up. I could be adopted for all I know.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 12:57 am

I wouldn't call them scams per se.
But there are some serious problems, ie they look at what? 1% of the dna?
What they find is probably true, but it's not the whole truth.

/Mats

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 11:13 am

Fnord wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:
My main concern is that because my brothers tom-catted around a lot, I might have some nephews and nieces who would come around looking for a "settlement" of some kind from me just for being related.

It is amazing how relatives pop out of the woodwork when money is involved. If you were poor, those types would not bother to talk to you. I have two nephews that are this way. They have plans on what they will do with my estate when I die, yet they have not been promised anything by me. They say you cannot take it with you, but what you can do is hide it in places that it cannot be easily found.

I have a saying for relatives like that: You can’t live with them and you can’t legally bury them until they are dead. Good thing I have a Dr. Frankenstein side that tends to scare them away.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 9:19 pm

Awhile ago I played with some family tree numbers to see how many ancestors I would need at the end of the black plague population bottleneck (1353) to have no interbreeding amongst my later ancestors. It would roughly require every parent in Europe, at the time, to have been my ancestor :roll:. Hopefully the interbreeding didn't include too many close relatives.