Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vito
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2021, 9:26 pm

SpottedMushroom wrote:
I have always tried making a family for myself in different ways. I don't know how, and at this point, I'm really losing hope. I try not to, because that's what leads me to suicidal thoughts. I literally am not interested in living without connecting with other people. I wish I was content to, but I am not. I think it would be very nice to belong with a group of people who all help and support one another. I think it would be the best. My closest friend left in January, and in the same week, I split with my boyfriend.

I held him when he cried. I had hoped he would sit with me while I cry. People don't like doing that. Like it's too much work or something. I would really like to not have to cry alone anymore.

I really want a cat, a lazy one that will nap and snack with me. And I can give it all the extra love in my heart that people don't appreciate. But I can't.

I just hurt all the time.

I'm so sorry to hear that you hurt. Life is hard sometimes. People come and leave, and sometimes are just not there when you need them the most.

But don't worry, there are plenty of people in the same situation like you are now. People who have all the extra love in their heart and no one to give it to. The only trick is to find them, so you could give them your love and they could give you theirs.

I was in a situation that was a lot like yours a few years ago. Sad, lonely and losing hope of ever finding someone to give a piece of my heart and receive the same in return. But eventually I found such person, or, to be more precise, she found me and helped me to create a deep emotional connection I never knew could be made. We now have a little family that includes us and our dog.

So don't lose hope, there are people worthy of your love somewhere out there. They may be closer than you might think. You might even be meeting them every day already, you never know. So don't stop searching and eventually you're bound to find them. Meanwhile, be a good person and strive to be a better one today, than you were yesterday. Make others know that you're a good person. And you'll be just fine.

And finally, if you ever feel like you can’t bear it anymore, remember: tomorrow will be another day and the woes and worries you feel now will be a thing of the past.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 10:04 pm

Online family , given at first being at arms length until more familiarity is built ??

where ever you go ,there you are

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 11:49 am

This thread is really meaning a lot to me.
Loneliness, loss, inability to reach out or communicate, fear of a lonely, empty old age;
That’s me.
Social skills of a brick.
That’s me.
I have a doctors’ appointment today; going to ask for a med (Prozac again?) prescription, and a counseling referral.
I’ve been having some BAD days/nights.
Covid turning our world upside down helps.
A lot.
:|

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2021, 1:45 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
SpottedMushroom wrote:
I have always tried making a family for myself in different ways. I don't know how, and at this point, I'm really losing hope.

Would you like to brainstorm possible ways to build an alternative extended family? (I ask because, in the Haven, we're not supposed to give advice unless the person specifically asks for advice rather than just emotional support.) This could be a worthwhile discussion for many of us, in my opinion.

If you would like to discuss this, what are some of the ways that you have already tried (unsuccessfully) to make a family for yourself?

I am usually open to advice alongside support. I think it would be a great topic.

I have been told that friends come and go naturally, depending on where life takes them. I think put simply, my idea of family is friends that stay. I think the kind of friendships I want are difficult to find because they are not what maybe the general population is interested in. I feel neutral about seeking out romantic relationships. It is not so important to me. Even if I were to be in a romantic relationship, I don't want marriage or children. It's just not something I want or aim for. I think this confuses people, or leaves them feeling threatened in some way. Or maybe they think I fear commitment and responsibility, when really, it's just not the same as the standard.

Before quarantine, I looked for volunteering opportunities or groups where I could try to feel more part of a community. I still want to, but those things have really decreased. Maybe as more people are vaccinated, things will pop up in the near future.

I understand I have wants and needs that other people cannot meet. They probably feel that way about me too. I don't want friends that just go out on weekends, or call every few weeks. I want people that I can trust, count on, spend time with, share the same values. You know, family. :)

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2021, 1:48 pm

MidnightRose wrote:
TenMinutes wrote:
There is a fundamental difference between what you want and what OP wants. Please do not suggest "accept it" to people who *want* a connection with people.

I have personally found that radical acceptance is a pretty big help in processing feelings of loneliness. To be clear, radical acceptance doesn't mean that you just lay down and rot. But critically looking at the facts and accepting your current situation, without assigning blame or judgement, is the first step to being able to change. First you make peace with your situation and let go of the angst that comes from it. Then with a clearer perspective and cooler head, you start working to change it. At least that is roughly what I was taught in dialectical behavioral therapy.

I also struggle with these feelings, I never get past acquaintances with people, most of my family is overseas, and my parents can't single-handedly make up for me having no real social network. I am on some fundamental level different from most people and so even though I am good at going through the motions I rarely click with others to the point where I regularly feel understood. It sucks, it's a bad situation to be in. I used to try and assign blame for it, usually by self-hatred, or seeing everyone else as shallow or some other nasty adjective. In truth, I just have bad social skills, and this is probably just because my brain/personality has some odd quirks. It's nobody's fault, it's who I am. But hopefully I can start to use my strengths and work on my weaknesses and meet people. Until I get to that point, I have no choice but to try and face the present with a healthy outlook. I still occasionally despair, but I think I have more good days than bad days (at least when it comes to loneliness).

This is very familiar and well said. I am glad you have reached a place where there are less troublesome days. I do agree, it is what it is, and wishing alone will not change that.

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2021, 1:50 pm

sarcasm.king wrote:
Explain how would you define "family." I have never had a serious romantic relationship or kid, and people in my family tree make the most toxic relationships you can imagine. However I have had a few close relationships with various neighbors that I wish I could regain with because I lost contact with them as few times where all hell broke loose for reasons that was by no means their fault but I had to regroup and move so many times and never fully and accurately memorized their contact information.

I'm sorry you lost contact with them. That must be very hard. I think it would be very nice to have relationships with neighbors. Sense of community/belonging.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 3:59 pm

Might think about setting a level about how you decide what person can be a friend . Have wanted friends badly and have been taken advantage quite severely in the past by N T types of people. Just a thought.for a measure of caution .

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 10:50 pm

SpottedMushroom wrote:
I am usually open to advice alongside support. I think it would be a great topic.

I have been told that friends come and go naturally, depending on where life takes them. I think put simply, my idea of family is friends that stay. I think the kind of friendships I want are difficult to find because they are not what maybe the general population is interested in. I feel neutral about seeking out romantic relationships. It is not so important to me. Even if I were to be in a romantic relationship, I don't want marriage or children. It's just not something I want or aim for. I think this confuses people, or leaves them feeling threatened in some way. Or maybe they think I fear commitment and responsibility, when really, it's just not the same as the standard.

How do you feel about the term "aromantic"? (If you are unfamiliar with that term, see the FAQ on the Aromanticism website. Sounds like you're looking for what that website describes as a chosen family.)

SpottedMushroom wrote:
Before quarantine, I looked for volunteering opportunities or groups where I could try to feel more part of a community. I still want to, but those things have really decreased. Maybe as more people are vaccinated, things will pop up in the near future.

Have you attended any local support groups for adults on the autism spectrum? (If not, try Meetup.com, or try contacting the Autism Society of Indiana.)

SpottedMushroom wrote:
I understand I have wants and needs that other people cannot meet. They probably feel that way about me too. I don't want friends that just go out on weekends, or call every few weeks. I want people that I can trust, count on, spend time with, share the same values. You know, family. :)

I too want to build an alternative extended family. I'll post more about this later.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 11:26 pm

Can related to feeling lonely. More so I want a partner. Ideally I would like to be the one spoiled and 'taken care" of for once.
My engagement tanked last summer on 9th year. LDR and Age Gap. I can be unhappy but not surprised (we only seen each other 4 X physically)

I am in better spot than you, OP, since I am not "alone". My 15 yr old lives with me and is likely to live with me all his life until his condition improves. But he is not adult, he is my child so some convos are just.. no. And he is non verbal.

My only friend within 150 miles just passed (he and his wife were a decade older and closer to my moms generation). My friend 150 miles away is very ill. That covers this state. My family here are passed or moved. My older kids are 1500 miles away+. I despise the surviving maternal family in California with a single exception. I am casually close to my paternal family in Texas. If I move there it won't be for getting closer to them.
I have one close friend remaining in MI (soooo far awaaaay!) and a handful of gaming pals.
I am not a social butterfly but I want more interaction than a cicada!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 2:13 am

Than a circadian. , lolz. Well said !

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 10:05 pm

Om Nom hugs

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2021, 7:32 am

Jakki wrote:
Might think about setting a level about how you decide what person can be a friend . Have wanted friends badly and have been taken advantage quite severely in the past by N T types of people. Just a thought.for a measure of caution .

Yes, very true. You can't trust everyone. I struggle to keep people in my life because of this. I don't keep people who treat me poorly, if I can help it. I don't control my current living arrangement. But anyone else who doesn't respect me is gone. Even though it makes me very sad.

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2021, 7:39 am

gingerpickles wrote:
Can related to feeling lonely. More so I want a partner. Ideally I would like to be the one spoiled and 'taken care" of for once.
My engagement tanked last summer on 9th year. LDR and Age Gap. I can be unhappy but not surprised (we only seen each other 4 X physically)

I am in better spot than you, OP, since I am not "alone". My 15 yr old lives with me and is likely to live with me all his life until his condition improves. But he is not adult, he is my child so some convos are just.. no. And he is non verbal.

My only friend within 150 miles just passed (he and his wife were a decade older and closer to my moms generation). My friend 150 miles away is very ill. That covers this state. My family here are passed or moved. My older kids are 1500 miles away+. I despise the surviving maternal family in California with a single exception. I am casually close to my paternal family in Texas. If I move there it won't be for getting closer to them.
I have one close friend remaining in MI (soooo far awaaaay!) and a handful of gaming pals.
I am not a social butterfly but I want more interaction than a cicada!

Yes, I often find myself taking care of other people, because it comes naturally when I...you know, care about them. I too would love to be cared for. I am tired. I'm sorry to hear about your engagement and friends.

I also like your cicada quote :lol:

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2021, 7:42 am

Sylkat wrote:
This thread is really meaning a lot to me.
Loneliness, loss, inability to reach out or communicate, fear of a lonely, empty old age;
That’s me.
Social skills of a brick.
That’s me.
I have a doctors’ appointment today; going to ask for a med (Prozac again?) prescription, and a counseling referral.
I’ve been having some BAD days/nights.
Covid turning our world upside down helps.
A lot.
:|

I feel like it's all I do, going to doctor's appointments and making calls I dont want to, so I get that. I hope you find some relief.

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2021, 7:44 am

Vito wrote:
SpottedMushroom wrote:
I have always tried making a family for myself in different ways. I don't know how, and at this point, I'm really losing hope. I try not to, because that's what leads me to suicidal thoughts. I literally am not interested in living without connecting with other people. I wish I was content to, but I am not. I think it would be very nice to belong with a group of people who all help and support one another. I think it would be the best. My closest friend left in January, and in the same week, I split with my boyfriend.

I held him when he cried. I had hoped he would sit with me while I cry. People don't like doing that. Like it's too much work or something. I would really like to not have to cry alone anymore.

I really want a cat, a lazy one that will nap and snack with me. And I can give it all the extra love in my heart that people don't appreciate. But I can't.

I just hurt all the time.

I'm so sorry to hear that you hurt. Life is hard sometimes. People come and leave, and sometimes are just not there when you need them the most.

But don't worry, there are plenty of people in the same situation like you are now. People who have all the extra love in their heart and no one to give it to. The only trick is to find them, so you could give them your love and they could give you theirs.

I was in a situation that was a lot like yours a few years ago. Sad, lonely and losing hope of ever finding someone to give a piece of my heart and receive the same in return. But eventually I found such person, or, to be more precise, she found me and helped me to create a deep emotional connection I never knew could be made. We now have a little family that includes us and our dog.

So don't lose hope, there are people worthy of your love somewhere out there. They may be closer than you might think. You might even be meeting them every day already, you never know. So don't stop searching and eventually you're bound to find them. Meanwhile, be a good person and strive to be a better one today, than you were yesterday. Make others know that you're a good person. And you'll be just fine.

And finally, if you ever feel like you can’t bear it anymore, remember: tomorrow will be another day and the woes and worries you feel now will be a thing of the past.

That sounds lovely. I will keep trying. Thank you.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 6:01 pm

Dear Spotted Mushroom,
Let us know how you are doing.