My city is a cultural wasteland

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 1:49 am

Houston's only theater showing independent/foreign films is permanently closing.

https://www.chron.com/culture/arts/article/River-Oaks-Theatre-negotiations-showings-16038429.php?IPID=Chron-HP-CP-Spotlight

At one time, we had three. The first was the Landmark Greenway, which was next to where the Summit was (the arena where the Rockets were playing back in the day). It closed when Lakewood Church bought the property.

The second was the Angelika, which was downtown. It closed in 2010.

That left only the Landmark River Oaks, which is closing next week.

What upsets me more than the theater closing, were some of the comments for the article. They were right-wingers rejoicing its closing, hoping it was demolished so it wouldn't become another "liberal hangout". Another commenter called art-house fans "communists", and mostly "drama nerds who got beaten up in high school" and "snobby liberals".

The political and religious right is why Houston can't have nice things, and why everybody wonders why I am trying to move to Seattle.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 2:45 am

Seattle is pretty nice, I've been there, though some groups are actively trying to ruin it. I bet you will find the food there better. Seattle is pretty tasty. Do you like seafood and fish?

What your post didn't mention is what you do with that theater and why you need it. I watch a lot of foreign and independent film but I've never been to any of the ones that show them in my city. My social life is non-existent, so I enjoy it all from the comfort of my chair at home.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Mar 2021, 5:03 am

I was always under the impression that large cities were pretty tolerant. Although here in South Africa, living in Pretoria in the 1980s was pretty different to living in more tolerant places such as Johannesburg, just to the south.

The reason this latest theatre is closing is probably the impact of the Covid regulations on social life, rather than any right wing pressure. Much has been lost through this stupid pandemic...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 2:10 pm

Is any city a cultural wasteland? :?

Really, it just sounds like you don’t like the culture of your city.

Wise decision to make a move to a place that better suits you.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 2:57 pm

That is kind of surprising honestly. For being in the top ten in terms of population you think they would have more of those. My pet peeve is lack of electronics hobby stores, but I think those are going the way of Radio Shack.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 5:06 pm

zacb wrote:
That is kind of surprising honestly. For being in the top ten in terms of population you think they would have more of those. My pet peeve is lack of electronics hobby stores, but I think those are going the way of Radio Shack.

Cities have businesses that the people create demand for. If no one is filling up independent theatres showing foreign films etc, well, they go out of business. If no one is buying electronic stuff from electronic hobby stores, they won't exist, either.

There are very few independent theatres here - but there is one that's been saved by city grants and celebrity donations once or twice. They were going through another restructuring during covid where they said they were rebranding themselves as a sports bar because they were allowed to be open, but theatres weren't... which would mean they lose their $400K grant money or whatever - not sure what ended up happening with it in the end as I haven't followed the news AND I've never been there in my life sooo whatever, doesn't affect me.

Very few electronics repair/supply places - and one where I had a couple keyfobs repaired told me they're Everywhere in India, because when a 2 cent part wears out they repair things vs. throw them out/recycle & replace them as we do here in North America.

All just simple supply & demand.. if there's demand and money to be made, these businesses will exist and flourish, if there isn't, well... you'll have to move to a place where people demand them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 5:12 pm

Houston has never been known as a "bastion of culture."

I believe Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin have better reputations for "culture." Especially Austin.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 5:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Houston has never been known as a "bastion of culture."

I believe Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin have better reputations for "culture." Especially Austin.

Seconded. I don’t see myself going back to Houston anytime soon unless I had a girlfriend to travel with. It had a very unfriendly and unwelcoming vibe the last time I was there. My cousin also was a cop there for a time and he claimed he would arrest me just for being there which would be breaking the Fourth Amendment. I am just glad he moved out of state and he doesn’t attempt to contact me anymore.

The other three cities have more welcoming and fun vibes. I really miss Austin and I hope I won’t have to wait much longer to see bands that were going to play there. I could play at Arcade UFO (A Japanese style arcade and also known as the fighting game capital of Texas) since they opened again but I want to go with friends and I can’t take vacation time for now.

Last edited by Marknis on 22 Mar 2021, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 5:51 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Houston's only theater showing independent/foreign films is permanently closing.

https://www.chron.com/culture/arts/article/River-Oaks-Theatre-negotiations-showings-16038429.php?IPID=Chron-HP-CP-Spotlight

At one time, we had three. The first was the Landmark Greenway, which was next to where the Summit was (the arena where the Rockets were playing back in the day). It closed when Lakewood Church bought the property.

The second was the Angelika, which was downtown. It closed in 2010.

That left only the Landmark River Oaks, which is closing next week.

What upsets me more than the theater closing, were some of the comments for the article. They were right-wingers rejoicing its closing, hoping it was demolished so it wouldn't become another "liberal hangout". Another commenter called art-house fans "communists", and mostly "drama nerds who got beaten up in high school" and "snobby liberals".

The political and religious right is why Houston can't have nice things, and why everybody wonders why I am trying to move to Seattle.

I used to live in right wing Indianapolis and was miserable. I am much happier in liberal Washington, DC.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 6:20 pm

Austin especially shows that Texas has more to offer than country music and churches. There are punk rock and gothic music clubs, a vampire community, a Church of Scientology, a chapter of the Satanic Temple, the Austin Community of Atheists, I’ve seen a Wiccan pentacle in a bookstore, I’ve also seen a female power book store, there’s a gay club called The Iron Bear, bat tours, a nudist grove, anime conventions, the aforementioned Arcade UFO, and so much more I either can’t recall right now or might be there but I don’t know for sure. The saying “Keep Austin Weird” is very true.

My own city, Temple, while nowhere near as “weird” as Austin, does have a Hindu temple on the outskirts. We have a lot of Indian doctors here and it burns my nerves when people mistake Hindus for Muslims. In the last few years, a bonafide comic book store has been in business since the previous one closed in 2013 and a “barcade” might come along even if it’s piggybacking off the one in Killeen called the Bit Bar. The military presence can be felt in Temple but not as much as in Killeen since it’s right in front of Fort Hood.

San Antonio has a heavy metal scene. People from outside the state are also surprised to see Hispanic people at the venues for that kind of music.

Last edited by Marknis on 22 Mar 2021, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 6:37 pm

Marknis wrote:
Austin especially shows that Texas has more to offer than country music and churches. There are punk rock and gothic music clubs, a vampire community, a Church of Scientology, a chapter of the Satanic Temple, the Austin Community of Atheists, I’ve seen a Wiccan pentacle in a bookstore, I’ve also seen a female power book store, there’s a gay club called The Iron Bear, bat tours, a nudist grove, and so much more I either can’t recall right now or might be there but I don’t know for sure. The saying “Keep Austin Weird” is very true.

My own city, Temple, while nowhere near as “weird” as Austin, does have a Hindu temple on the outskirts. We have a lot of Indian doctors here.

San Antonio has a heavy metal scene. People from outside the state are also surprised to see Hispanic people at the venues for that kind of music.

IMO, there are other big cities just as worthy to move to outside of Texas.

For all we know, you could end up in Portland regardless of what's been going on as of recent.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 6:42 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Austin especially shows that Texas has more to offer than country music and churches. There are punk rock and gothic music clubs, a vampire community, a Church of Scientology, a chapter of the Satanic Temple, the Austin Community of Atheists, I’ve seen a Wiccan pentacle in a bookstore, I’ve also seen a female power book store, there’s a gay club called The Iron Bear, bat tours, a nudist grove, and so much more I either can’t recall right now or might be there but I don’t know for sure. The saying “Keep Austin Weird” is very true.

My own city, Temple, while nowhere near as “weird” as Austin, does have a Hindu temple on the outskirts. We have a lot of Indian doctors here.

IMO, there are other big cities just as worthy to move to outside of Texas.

For all we know, you could end up in Portland regardless of what's been going on as of recent.

I made edits to my last post.

Don’t know if your post was for Tim Tex or for me since we are both from Texas but if I can’t make it to Austin, I might consider going to another state. However, I don’t want to move alone since I don’t have much family that I personally know outside of my state. I have cousins I’ve never met and one works for the CIA.

Last edited by Marknis on 22 Mar 2021, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 6:46 pm

^ Watch men in suits barge into the hosting datacenter and pull forum hard drives from the rack servers. There goes the forum.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 10:18 pm

Om Nom hugs

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 1:58 am

envirozentinel wrote:
I was always under the impression that large cities were pretty tolerant. Although here in South Africa, living in Pretoria in the 1980s was pretty different to living in more tolerant places such as Johannesburg, just to the south.

The reason this latest theatre is closing is probably the impact of the Covid regulations on social life, rather than any right wing pressure. Much has been lost through this stupid pandemic...

The right has been crusading against art-house films since the 1970s. When "Last Tango in Paris" was released, theaters showing it were receiving bomb threats. Oklahoma, which has always been fascist, banned the film entirely (they were still enforcing Prohibition at the time).

Italy charged the film's director with indecency, and sentenced him to 5 years in prison. Spaniards wanting to see the film had to travel for hours into France to see the film. No Muslim-majority nation would dare show it.

Not all indie/foreign/art-house films are sexually explicit, in fact maybe only 10-20% are. But to right-wingers, as far as they're concerned, all such films are.

But much of America and the world missed out on such great masterpieces as I am Furious (Yellow), Last Tango, Emmanuelle, the Brown Bunny, 9 Songs, et al.

Animated sitcoms (Simpsons, South Park, et al) are another favored target of the right.

And let us not forget this incident from 2002:

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/article/Resident-complaints-cause-cover-up-of-statue-9950403.php

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 24 Mar 2021, 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 2:10 am

Marknis wrote:
Austin especially shows that Texas has more to offer than country music and churches. There are punk rock and gothic music clubs, a vampire community, a Church of Scientology, a chapter of the Satanic Temple, the Austin Community of Atheists, I’ve seen a Wiccan pentacle in a bookstore...

I lived in Wichita Falls for a year, they didn't even have a synagogue.