Is it weird to like toys as an adult?

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 12:34 pm

You get neurotypicals that enjoy dressing up as adult babies.

It's ok to like things like game consoles or lego, it's adults that like little kids you gotta be worried about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 1:20 pm

There's nothing wrong with adults "liking little kids"----unless it's sexual in nature.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 1:24 pm

I still play video games as an adult, which some people think is childish. Especially the games I play.

I think as long as a hobby makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else that you don't need to stop doing it, even if it's playing with toys.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 1:29 pm

How many 19 year olds do you know play video games? I bet it's all of them!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 1:40 pm

I play with Play-Doh as a stim toy. I also keep it in my handbag and in the car for emergencies, when I think I'm going to have a meltdown. You've gotta love the smell of Play-Doh. :heart:

I have a good luck charm monster named John. He goes with me to scary places.

I don't have many actual toys but I do miss my childhood ones. My friend collects all sorts of toys including Barbie dolls, and he's 14 years older than I am. I think it's cute. My 24 yo daughter plays a few games on Switch but she was never huge into video games.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 1:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How many 19 year olds do you know play video games? I bet it's all of them!

Of course most people my age probably play them, though a lot of adults older than us think video games are "childish". I don't care about them thinking that, but it's still an example that people will find ways to complain about anything that's harmless and brand it as "childish" for one reason or another.

Maybe a better overall example is cartoons, since (sans anime) a lot of people my age don't like cartoons and think they're for little kids.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 2:04 pm

Bugs Bunny was made for an adult, as well as a kid, audience.

Cartoons tailored only for kids, really, didn't start until maybe the 1950s.

Even the "funnies" in newspapers were generally made for adults in the old days.

The only comics that seemed totally made for kids were something like "Superman" and "Batman."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:18 pm

I live with my boyfriend so I will feel a little silly buying and playing with toys. Although playing with toys as an adult is harmless, a lot of NTs do get creeped out by seeing another adult playing with toys.
My boyfriend's 20-year-old son came round once, and on his way over he had brought a drill from a shop and was showing my boyfriend and they were admiring it together. But if he had come round clutching a child's toy or a baby toy that he had bought for himself (if it was for a child that'd be acceptable), my boyfriend would most likely criticise, like saying "you're a bit big for that, why did you buy that for?" And the son would probably feel a bit silly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:30 pm

Tools are, very often, "toys" of an adult male (and sometimes female, too).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Tools are, very often, "toys" of an adult male (and sometimes female, too).

Yes but it was an adult "toy", and he's into doing constructive things.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 10:44 pm

I buy Hot Wheels from time to time.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 11:29 pm

rogueone wrote:
I still love buying those plastic army men toys.

I love setting em up for display, painting em to fit historical soldiers in battle and I've been making short films about battles playing tribute to movies I love like Windtalkers.

Sounds like a grand thing to me! :D :heart:

Up until a health decline about a decade ago I had literally a thousand of the 1/72, 1/76, 20mm, plastic and metal soldiers for WW2 miniatures gaming, plus substantially fewer for American Civil War (ACW) miniatures gaming.
I had many, many, happy and fulfilling hours painting the little guys and gals & building their tanks and trucks.
Also lots of happy hours getting together to play the games.

The larger, maybe 50mm, classic "little green army men" are a thing and a hobby in and of themselves, complete with retailers which were originally built on the concept, for instance, https://www.michtoy.com/ "Michigan Toy Soldier Company. History through hobbies since 1996"

And those fabled "little green army men" even got inducted in to the National Toy Hall of Fame,
https://www.toyhalloffame.org/toys/litt ... n-army-men

And if you are in to the one inch tall 1/72 scale soldiers like I was, this website is a grand source of historical reference and current production news, http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/

And dig this from last year,
Quote:
National & World News
| March 7, 2020
By Kelcie Willis, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
BMC Toys makes plastic green Army women in response to Vivian Lord’s viral letter

A 6-year-old girl in Arkansas is getting her request answered after a letter she wrote asking for little green Army women to be made.

"Why do you not make girl army men," Vivian Lord of Little Rock, Arkansas, wrote in her July 2019 letter, according to "Good Morning America." "My freinends mom is in the Army to!! So why don't you make them to!! !"

She continued, “Some girls done’t like pink so pleaes can you make army girls that look like women. I can play with them evry day and my freiends would to!”
But Vivian's letter put some pressure on the company, and of the three companies Vivian wrote to, BMC Toys was the only one to respond, the Military Times reported.

https://www.ajc.com/news/year-old-lette ... HEBsBbNAP/

This bit of history may be of interest, https://www.plasticstoday.com/consumer- ... ed-history
Quote:
How the little green army men marched into history
The recent announcement that the little green army men would soon welcome women warriors to their ranks got us reminiscing about the history of this iconic toy. Kent Sprecher, a plastic toy figure enthusiast who runs the toysoldierhq.com website, graciously shared his deep knowledge with us.

Quote:
I'm worried about people judging me for playing with toys at my age, what should I do?

:arrow: In my way of seeing life and living, you should toss your worries out the window and carry on being you doing what fulfills you.

Quote:
Anyone else on the spectrum still like toys as an adult?

I will answer that by posting a picture of a book I purchased a couple weeks ago,
:D

Oh, and still have a couple circa 2005 photos of some of my 1/72 and 1/76 scale tanks and trucks,

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 2:29 am

Is playing with toys have anything to do with Aspergers? I still have some of my stuff animals.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 2:48 am

absolutely not

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 1:38 am

Actually, my NT cousin and her NTs friends once took her stuffed toy dragon out to the pub with them (well a few times actually). They placed it on a table and took a picture of it with a straw in its mouth 'sipping' a glass of an alcoholic drink, and posted it on Facebook. This little fella seemed very amusing to a bunch of 28-year-olds. :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 9:44 am

I would prefer to think of this differently. Some words that come to mind are "Hobby" or "Collector". (And a good stop action film with toy soldiers might get a few viewings on the Internet!)

I had some windup toys and some twisty/fiddling toys in my desk before I retired...that's before I knew I was on the Spectrum so I didn't think of it in terms of "stimming", I thought they were just good relief for handling stress and frustration. No one ever challenged me on them.