Is it weird to like toys as an adult?

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 9:43 am

dracblau wrote:
I love toys and hobbies. I build models including model cars, model planes, model ships, model tanks, and model trains. I still buy Hot Wheels and other small car toys. I also started buying gaming figures for Star Wars and other gaming. I also collect toy robots. I guess a part of me doesn’t want to grow up and that’s okay with me.

Sounds like fun to me! :D

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 10:17 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
Sometimes one can wangle things so that one is "Paid" to play with bigger versions of ones toys.

Example : making stuff with Meccano as a youngster,
next week I anticipate getting paid to put together a lighting wiring system in a small factory using a big version of meccano called "Unistrut and Cable Tray"

Nice! Think I've seen that system in some buildings at work. I hope that's in their marketing... "Modular, convenient, utilises transferable skills from Meccano."

I think construction toys and model kits can also help with creative and problem-solving skills in general. When I'm stuck trying to write a piece of music or to repair something, often the best thing to do is leave it and make something out of Lego instead. When I get back to what I was doing, my brain seems to function better and I can make the creative leaps needed to solve the problem.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 6:27 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I think construction toys and model kits can also help with creative and problem-solving skills in general.

I would provide a reference except my defective body isn't playing well with anyone right now, but that is a scientifically known thing. And that is cool. :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 9:50 am

I've just gone and spend £60 on an old childhood toy I used to have but had thrown out years ago. My mum and my boyfriend were more judgemental about it than what they would have been if the toy only cost about £5. I don't know why it was that expensive, as it didn't come in it's box or anything. I thought Amazon things was supposed to be of a reasonable price? In the 90s this toy probably cost about £6.

But I couldn't resist. It's so brightly-coloured and I threw the one I had away about 12 years ago and have regretted it ever since, so that is why I had to buy a new one. I am often mesmerised by bright colours.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 10:28 am

If there are no Legos in Heaven, then I do not want to die.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 2:16 pm

Well, orbit isn't heaven, and the toy wasn't a Lego, but ...

Quote:
NASA astronaut Karen Nyberg is a self proclaimed crafter. A week ago she made a stuffed dinosaur from scraps on the space station. The little T-rex is made form the lining of Russian food containers and the toy is stuffed with scraps from an old T-shirt. While many toys have flown into space, this is the first produced in space.

https://womeninspace.tumblr.com/post/62 ... proclaimed

Quote:
September 27, 2013

— There is a dinosaur on board the International Space Station where there wasn't one before.

NASA astronaut Karen Nyberg, who since May has been working as a flight engineer as a member of the orbiting outpost's resident crew, revealed the toy dinosaur floating on the space station on Thursday (Sept. 26).

"Made in space!" Nyberg, an Expedition 37 crewmember, exclaimed in her caption for a photo of the toy giant lizard she uploaded to the pinboard-style photo-sharing website Pinterest. "I made this dinosaur for my son last Sunday, September 22."

The dinosaur, which resembles a Tyrannosaurus Rex, has an olive green back and a lighter green belly. It is stitched together with white thread.

Nyberg, a self-described crafter whose hobbies including quilting and sewing, packed threads, sewing needles and small fabric samples for her trip to space. But to make the dinosaur, she scavenged materials that she found around her orbital home.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-092713c.html

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 7:22 pm

I think it's irrelevant. I like toys but I wouldn't probably say anything to anyone that I totally didn't trust. I have a T. rex night light I bought from the planetarium that it's cool as. And I like transformers figurines etc but tbh I rather buy online something that I would find I guess socially embarrassing. Not like I have friends or anything.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 7:24 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I think construction toys and model kits can also help with creative and problem-solving skills in general.

I would provide a reference except my defective body isn't playing well with anyone right now, but that is a scientifically known thing. And that is cool. :D

My body is way more defective.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2021, 9:16 pm

If it is, I am hapily weird. Call them toys if.you wish or must; but mine come onto me as serious model constructs. Some times very ad hoc. But sometimes it happens, very specially representative of a piece part of some larger pattern for me. Nothing minimal in it. Toys are fun!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 7:46 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've just gone and spend £60 on an old childhood toy I used to have but had thrown out years ago. My mum and my boyfriend were more judgemental about it than what they would have been if the toy only cost about £5. I don't know why it was that expensive, as it didn't come in it's box or anything. I thought Amazon things was supposed to be of a reasonable price? In the 90s this toy probably cost about £6.

But I couldn't resist. It's so brightly-coloured and I threw the one I had away about 12 years ago and have regretted it ever since, so that is why I had to buy a new one. I am often mesmerised by bright colours.

It's probably a collector's item by now... Recently, I saw the wooden train set I had when I was small being sold for £120!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm

I liked Rubic's Cube when I was a kid - now I can afford V-Cube which is much smoother and doesn't stick or fly apart as often. Apparently Yo-yos are a thing again now too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:40 pm

I sometimes feel like playing with the childhood toy I had bought off Amazon last week. It's a plastic jungle set, and the bright green trees and blue water just mesmorizes me, and it has little animals with it. It's aimed at children over the age of 3, so it's not a baby toy. I used to have it as a child myself but it got broken and thrown away over the years. But I wanted it again so I ordered it. But if I play with it, even if nobody's around to know, I still feel ridiculous. I mean, I'm 31 this month, I'm engaged, I live with my fiancee, I go to work and do household chores and pay bills, so playing with a toy like an 8-year-old feels really weird. :oops:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:51 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I... and the bright green trees and blue water just mesmorizes me, and it has little animals with it.

Does sound like it has great visual appeal! 8)

Quote:
I used to have it as a child myself but it got broken and thrown away over the years. But I wanted it again so I ordered it..

Aw man, sorry it ended up that way. :( Getting a new one sounds fine to me! :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I... and the bright green trees and blue water just mesmorizes me, and it has little animals with it.

Does sound like it has great visual appeal! 8)

Quote:
I used to have it as a child myself but it got broken and thrown away over the years. But I wanted it again so I ordered it..

Aw man, sorry it ended up that way. :( Getting a new one sounds fine to me! :D

Not when it costed £60! My boyfriend isn't the sort to criticise but he did exclaim "you paid £60 for a toy?!"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm 31 this month, I'm engaged,

Happy birthday :!: And congratulations :D

Quote:
I go to work and do household chores and pay bills, so playing with a toy like an 8-year-old feels really weird.

Well, remembering my Mom when I was a kid, she sometimes dove right in with us 2 boys.
And ...
Then there was the time ...
when I was a senior in high school and came home early and there was Mom in the family room playing with one of my brother's replica swords ...
so ...
I got his other one and Mom and I had a fencing match in the family room!
:D :heart:
Hey, who else but maybe a fantasy novel character, a figment of someone's imagination, can say they had a swordfight with their mom!

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 09 Apr 2021, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 6:03 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm 31 this month, I'm engaged,

Happy birthday :!: And congratulations :D

Quote:
I go to work and do household chores and pay bills, so playing with a toy like an 8-year-old feels really weird.

Well, remembering my Mom when I was a kid, she sometimes dove right in with us 2 boys.
And ...
Then there was the time ...
when I was a senior in high school and came home early and there was Mom in the family room playing with one of my brother's replica swords ...
so ...
I got his other one and Mom and I had a fencing match in the family room!
:D :heart:
Hey, who else but a fantasy novel character, a figment of someone's imagination, can say they had a swordfight with their mom!

She sounds like a playful mum that liked spending time with her kids doing kids stuff. :) :heart: :heart:

My mum was like that too. When I was 8 she bought me a lovely doll's house for Christmas, and she asked if she could sometimes play with it. :lol: She might have just been joking but I wonder if she did play with it while I was at school? (She's NT by the way).