Is it weird to like toys as an adult?

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ferrous
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2021, 4:10 pm

While some people find it weird, within the right groups it isn't that weird. As this thread shows, plenty of us enjoy it. And there are... I guess fandoms for certain things. And, of course, it doesn't hurt anyone (except perhaps your wallet), so if you enjoy it then there shouldn't be any shame in it.

People do seem to take it more seriously if you word it differently (as the previous post says "collect", "hobby").

Myself, I'm quite into tokusatsu, and there are lots of toys that come with that. I'm particularly fond of the Super Sentai Minipla, which are model kits of the various mecha.

McGinnity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2021, 9:02 pm

Let's see...In my computer room alone I count thirty-seven things at the moment that can be counted as toys, things like funko-pop figurines, anime stuff, and some clown statues. I also have forty-three posters and similar on the walls of anime, gaming, and other type of posters. I recently moved out of the basement, so both numbers will only grow as I move more stuff out of the basement.
Collect what you want to collect. Play how you want to play. Be you, especially at home. I'm thirty-two, and have learned to be me.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 9:27 pm

It's not weird. Loads of adults either collect toys, or more adult versions of toys (for example musical instruments, computers, 'project' cars, bikes, boats, art or crafting materials, board games). Or they have kids and buy things for them but also have a second childhood of their own at the same time.

Nothing wrong with that.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 11:39 pm

everybody should have something they enjoy in there spare time, it doesn’t matter what it is

redallen32
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2021, 3:53 pm

For my birthday and Christmas, I've always asked for some type of toys. My family thinks it's weird, but it's a comfort to me and if they do get me some type of toy it ends up being my favorite gift. Other people might think it's weird, but for me it's normal.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2021, 11:13 pm

I like toys too. I must admit I don't collect as much as I used too (I ran out of space), but it's an interest of mine. I want to get more into selling my retro toys like action figures and maybe turn it into career one day.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 9:16 pm

I've just gone and got my brother to order a toy for me from Amazon that I used to have when I was a kid. I don't know what my boyfriend is going to say when it arrives. He'll probably say "why do you want that for? You're nearly 31, not 8!" I'm not exactly going to play with it, and it's only a small toy so it doesn't take up much room. It's just so brightly-coloured and nostalgic. I get mesmerized by bright colours.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 9:32 pm

I had a gyroscope as a boy, and was delighted to see the same one for sale when I wanted one for an experiment. The new ones have much worse bearings. Even candy has been cheapened, so that old favourites just make me sad now.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 2:19 pm

I was just reading where Apollo 12 almost crashed when it was hit by lightning and the gyroscopes stopped working. Luckily it was the electrical bus which has failed and when they switched to "auxiliary" everything started working again. It later landed on the moon.

Lots of "kids toys" have adult purposes.

I like to spin the top of a pot upside down on the handle while I am cooking - like a gyroscope. In college I learned some physics about how that worked. There is a relationship between the rate of wobble and the rate of spin. Dick Feynman did some math on this just for fun - it was actually a plate thrown into the air while spinning in the cafeteria - and later us used the same kind of math and some of the incites for his work on electron spin which got him the Nobel Prize.

Toys can help us make order in our life which can calm us down and get us ready for a much less well-ordered world.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 2:32 pm

^^ Gyroscopes, simple building sets, and balls are toys that rely on imagination and develop general skills. Paint-by-number sets, fandom merchandise, and collections provide diversion, not education. A very large percentage of aircraft builders began with flying models. When Burt Rutan's mother bought him a kit, he just laughed, and put it in his "material" collection.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 2:36 pm

hmmm, no I don't think so.

Me and my boyfriend paint warhammer miniatures, and lots of other adults are into that to. I also recently was gifted a Lord of the Rings lego set and that was pretty fun to put together...I may want to build more of those, but LOTR legos are expensive....then again the warhammer stuff can be kind of expensive to.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 2:06 pm

Sometimes one can wangle things so that one is "Paid" to play with bigger versions of ones toys.

Example : making stuff with Meccano as a youngster,
next week I anticipate getting paid to put together a lighting wiring system in a small factory using a big version of meccano called "Unistrut and Cable Tray"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Is It Weird To Like Toys As An Adult?

It's not weird until the toys start telling you how much they like you ...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 6:32 pm

Fenn wrote:
Toys can help us make order in our life which can calm us down and get us ready for a much less well-ordered world.

Now that is a point! :D

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 6:27 pm

As it happens, I bought some space toys today while cruising an antique/secondhand store looking for train stuff.
I'm not sure what the tinplate discs are; I'm guessing components to a game, but what is their function? Did find lots of info on the rocket bank. Could easily see at the store that the thing on top shoots coins in to the slot. Did a test and discovered quarters are too big to go in!

dracblau
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2021, 7:46 am

I love toys and hobbies.

I build models including model cars, model planes, model ships, model tanks, and model trains. I still buy Hot Wheels and other small car toys. I also started buying gaming figures for Star Wars and other gaming. I also collect toy robots. I guess a part of me doesn’t want to grow up and that’s okay with me.