Multiple people killed in another Colorado mass shooting

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 11:28 am

'Very Anti-Social’: Suspect in Boulder Supermarket Massacre Was Paranoid, Brother Says

Quote:
Ali Aliwi Alissa, the suspect’s 34-year-old brother, told The Daily Beast that authorities searched his house all night after the shooting.

Alissa said his brother was “very anti-social” and paranoid, adding that, in high school, he would describe “being chased, someone is behind him, someone is looking for him.”

“When he was having lunch with my sister in a restaurant, he said, ‘People are in the parking lot, they are looking for me.’ She went out, and there was no one. We didn’t know what was going on in his head,” Alissa said, admitting that he believes his brother is mentally ill.

The suspect’s brother said he traveled to another King Sooper’s location after work to look for a third sibling who had run an errand and couldn’t be reached. He found that relative in police custody.

“I went to King Sooper that is close to our house to see if they are there, and then I saw a police car,” he said. “And then as I got closer to the police car, I saw my [other] brother was detained in the police car. That was 9:30 at night.”

Ali Aliwi Alissa went on to say he and more family members were detained by police.

“I learned that [Ahmad] is a suspect after coming from work,” Ali Aliwi Alissa told The Daily Beast, describing how he could not reach his siblings Monday afternoon.

Al Issa’s family house sits on the edge of a quiet cul de sac lined with two-story homes and a mix of Aspens, evergreens, basketball hoops, and bird feeders. Multiple generations of the family call this house, with solar panels on the roof and a flagstaff path leading to the backyard, their home.

On Tuesday morning, a woman who identified herself as an older sister answered the door of the family house. She said she was shocked, and the family never suspected their brother capable of committing this act of violence. “We’re shocked. He is nice, a quiet brother,” the 30-year-old told The Daily Beast, declining to give her name.

On a now-deleted Facebook page, Alissa described himself as a student interested in “computer engineering/ computer science.... kickboxing.” Posts about mixed martial arts, especially jiu jitsu, dominated the page. Alissa sometimes posted about Islam, often about prayer or holidays.

In one post, however, he appeared to express fears that someone was targeting his phone for Islamophobic reasons.

“Yeah if these racist islamophobic people would stop hacking my phone and let me have a normal life I probably could,” he posted in July 2019.

On Facebook, his politics appeared mixed throughout several camps. He shared an article rebuking Donald Trump’s stance on immigration, but also posted about his own opposition to gay marriage and abortion.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 23 Mar 2021, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 11:56 am

Police identified the suspect as Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, a 21-year-old Arvada, Colo., man. Alissa lived "most of his life in the United States."

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 12:49 pm

Didn't we already have an active thread on WP about this mass shooting?

... oh, wait... that was another one...

... it's hard to keep track when they happen less than a week apart ...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 1:03 pm

I am waiting for the inevitable politicizing of this thread by the usual clique of bullies.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 3:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
I am waiting for the inevitable politicizing of this thread by the usual clique of bullies.

Exactly. I'm waiting for the inevitable dividing of people by skin color, religious beliefs and genders and establishment of motive and culpability on that basis alone just like everyone here did in the Atlanta shooting incident. It's coming. Guaranteed.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:14 pm

@Daddy63: Clearly you don't know my home town man.

That's not the full list of what the FBI had to look into yesterday & you know it. We're just bummed that anybody would start some kind of self-righteous debate over random violence.

Criminals get profiled, it's nothing new & we know the process to be very informative.

Choosing to blame some set of definite factors for the actions of a belligerent, delusional psycho is not only arrogantly self-assured, it's nothing but hearsay because trials don't happen overnight.

It's already very much established that to be a violent extremist is to be mentally unwell. Ten people died yesterday as a result of a racial persecution-complex, which amounts to terrorism whatever you want to call it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 8:39 pm

I do not understand if he lived in a house with other people that they did not know he had guns and ammunition.
Even if he hid them once he acquired them, he had to get them into the house.
I cannot imagine how to do that with no suspicions.
Did he not have to have a license in order to purchase the guns?

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 9:35 pm

cberg wrote:
@Daddy63: Clearly you don't know my home town man.

That's not the full list of what the FBI had to look into yesterday & you know it. We're just bummed that anybody would start some kind of self-righteous debate over random violence.

Criminals get profiled, it's nothing new & we know the process to be very informative.

Choosing to blame some set of definite factors for the actions of a belligerent, delusional psycho is not only arrogantly self-assured, it's nothing but hearsay because trials don't happen overnight.

It's already very much established that to be a violent extremist is to be mentally unwell. Ten people died yesterday as a result of a racial persecution-complex, which amounts to terrorism whatever you want to call it.

I don't know Boulder as well as you but I've been there many times. It's great place with great people. I'm not saying at all that's how the people of Boulder will handle it. It is on the other hand how the media is handling it and how it is addressed by the masses on social media. Profiling as you call it has become the standard in the media for establishing motive and guilt. Being Muslim or Evangelical has it's implications as does gender and skin color and sexual orientation. Evidence and facts don't matter.

I do have to say the posters here have handled this one much better than the Atlanta shooting and the Miami Beach chaos. Why do you think that is?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Evidence and facts don't matter.

I don't really see your kind of pessimism as part of the solution.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 9:44 pm

cberg wrote:
Quote:
Evidence and facts don't matter.

I don't really see your kind of pessimism as part of the solution.

It's not meant to be. I'm not optimistic about it whatsoever. It's continuously getting worse. Civil rights for all regardless of skin color, gender, religion and sexual orientation is moving ever further away from us.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 9:47 pm

Let me be clear, nobody next door is upset that some raging as*hole with an AR-15 has hurt feelings about being stereotyped. The FBI came & went. Five days of investigation & this dude fries.

It's not like we're dismissive of the causes here but you're talking about net responsibility.

Being religious at all strikes me as a risk factor for being impressionable enough to pick up radical doctrines. It's ultimately not all that different by definition from being in these new internet cults.

Not all people have been coerced to believe their religion is either drastically superior or imperiled by persecution because not all people are religious.

I'm not here to disrespect anyone's spiritual lives, what I am saying however is that people throw around a whole lot of nasty dogmatic nonsense basically whomever they are.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 10:22 pm

cberg wrote:
Let me be clear, nobody next door is upset that some raging as*hole with an AR-15 has hurt feelings about being stereotyped. The FBI came & went. Five days of investigation & this dude fries.

It's not like we're dismissive of the causes here but you're talking about net responsibility.

Being religious at all strikes me as a risk factor for being impressionable enough to pick up radical doctrines. It's ultimately not all that different by definition from being in these new internet cults.

Not all people have been coerced to believe their religion is either drastically superior or imperiled by persecution because not all people are religious.

I'm not here to disrespect anyone's spiritual lives, what I am saying however is that people throw around a whole lot of nasty dogmatic nonsense basically whomever they are.

My point is not about how this stereotyping and religious bigotry impacts this criminal. I could care less and hope he "fries" as you say tomorrow. The bigger issue to me is how this stereotyping and religious bigotry impacts all people of faith and how it creates more division, mistrust and ultimately more violence.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 10:49 pm

It's a legitimate concern but ultimately this was a guy with freedom of religion anyway. Nobody legally ordered the dude to construct his own nutcase version of the definition of peace.

This is an example of Americans not being treated as such in many ways.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 12:55 am

Whatever anyone in the household believes and practices, SOMEONE had to have a suspicion that he had a gun (s?) and ammunition.
America is about believing and practicing your faith, your philosophy, your politics, that is not the point.
If it were, there are plenty of Voodoo practicioners for people to be upset about in Florida and Louisiana.
This was a man who apparently lived his life with his family, got a weapons license without their knowledge, acquired at least one firearm without their knowledge, acquired ammunition without their knowledge, then used them.
I don’t care what his delusion was.
How do you not know there is a gun in your house?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Mar 2021, 2:09 am

Sylkat wrote:
I do not understand if he lived in a house with other people that they did not know he had guns and ammunition.

It struck my attention as well.
There are guns and there are mentally ill people but are there at least some efforts made to separate them from each other?
Apparently, not successful enough.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 2:22 am

Sylkat wrote:

Apparently, the shooter got the gun only 6 days before the shooting - with no waiting time even though he had been previously convicted of misdemeanour assault in 2018.

So it is not inconceivable that he managed to keep the weapon hidden for just a few days without raising suspicion - and he could have stored it somewhere else than the house.

The city of Boulder apparently tried to ban the type of weapon used (an "AR-15" style Ruger AR-556), but this ordinance was struck down by a local court on 12 March - 4 days before the shooter bought his gun.