Page 3 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

longtimeaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2022, 10:27 pm

I was bullied, judged and made fun of until I was taught a trick by my counselor at the time, which I can only describe as "changing the tapes" in my mind. It is very hard to explain, but I basically changed the subconscious self-talk that was negative and self-hating, and somehow (I have no idea how so don't ask me!), that stopped all the bullying and judging around me. Literally almost overnight. Like I said, I can't explain it and don't know how it works, I only know it did. Would it work for anyone else? I don't know. The only way for a person to know would be to try it.

The most important thing to know about it is that for a while you'll have to stay "on top of it". EVERY time you feel ugly, dumb, different, or someone has judged, insulted, or mistreated you, you simply tell yourself NO, that is not true! I am _____ (fill in the blank with any contradicting positive statements). After you've done that long enough, it will become second nature and you won't even have to consciously do it.

I hope this works for anyone who reads this. The freedom I experienced because it is beyond what I could ever express. I actually have a hope of living a SOMEWHAT normal life as a result.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 11:13 pm

Dill's rule:

If he's in a group of people, the longer he is, the odds of being bullied increases until it's a certainty. It doesn't matter that I'm almost always the most physically intimidating, as if you're a social/emotional pushover that can't respond to it verbally, you're passive and don't interact with others socially, the bullying will be on the way as some hyenas will see something there to boost their own standing, then others joins in.

Combine that with the sensory issues when around groups of people, and it's why I avoid groups. This obviously makes schooling and basic jobs a bother. I never have problems with individuals. This is why long distance learning and self-employment are needed for me.

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2022, 6:48 pm

Good to hear from some more members.
I believe that those of us on this board are much more likely to have experienced bullying than the average person.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 8:20 am

I really like the last few posts about this because I think we get into a habit of worrying about what other people think of us which is not a healthy pattern. I especially love the post where you learn to tell yourself that yourself that you are all these things.

Also, when you think of it, anyone who expects you to to worship their opinion about it is a very selfish person who probably doesn't want anyone else to be happy unless they are.

I have learned that yes, there are people who like to bully just to push your buttons but it's clear that people like that just do those things for the sake of getting attention. It's not always easy to ignore but thanks to things like headphones, you can listen to positive things.

Also, here are some other reasons why people bully people on the spectrum

1. People pick on others because they have personal things that are going on in their own lives, so when they see that an autistic, they most likely are picking on us because they are trying to get the attention off themselves

2. They bully because they don't know how to handle the situation

3. They bully because they autistics are seen at the bottom of a "Social status" because we are disabled. Therefore, they have been taught they are better and superior to us

4. As I talked about before, we have autistics who feel very insecure and do what they want to look and act like a neurotypical. So they act out number 3

5. You also have people who are narcissists and because they think in black and white, they tend to dislike anyone who is other.

6. You have people like socio and psychopaths who will bully autistics out of spite.

7. You have adults who bully because they are followers of a ring leader who taught them "Hey, that person is weird, don't be friends with them."

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2022, 5:55 pm

On point 6 from Summer Twilight; In addition I believe there is more psychopaths then get credit for it.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:30 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I really like the last few posts about this because I think we get into a habit of worrying about what other people think of us which is not a healthy pattern. I especially love the post where you learn to tell yourself that yourself that you are all these things.

Also, when you think of it, anyone who expects you to to worship their opinion about it is a very selfish person who probably doesn't want anyone else to be happy unless they are.

I have learned that yes, there are people who like to bully just to push your buttons but it's clear that people like that just do those things for the sake of getting attention. It's not always easy to ignore but thanks to things like headphones, you can listen to positive things.

1. People pick on others because they have personal things that are going on in their own lives, so when they see that an autistic, they most likely are picking on us because they are trying to get the attention off themselves

3. They bully because they autistics are seen at the bottom of a "Social status" because we are disabled. Therefore, they have been taught they are better and superior to us

4. As I talked about before, we have autistics who feel very insecure and do what they want to look and act like a neurotypical. So they act out number 3

5. You also have people who are narcissists and because they think in black and white, they tend to dislike anyone who is other.

6. You have people like socio and psychopaths who will bully autistics out of spite.

7. You have adults who bully because they are followers of a ring leader who taught them "Hey, that person is weird, don't be friends with them."

This is a great post. To build off this, I'd say many people have difficulty in admitting the disabled are their equals. They adhere to a personal/social definition of what's human, which has little to do with biology.

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2022, 7:29 am

HighLlama wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

This is a great post. To build off this, I'd say many people have difficulty in admitting the disabled are their equals. They adhere to a personal/social definition of what's human, which has little to do with biology.

Hi HighLlama and Summer_Twilight! I concur!

I think that much bullying may be fear based
eg. 'gay bashers' may have repressed homosexual tendencies, people who abuse the homeless may have unconscious fear of being in a similar situation and with respect to the bullying of autistics, perhaps the bullying might be based on fear of being different and 'apart from the crowd' themselves?

I apologise if such has already been mentioned I am exhausted, struggling to navigate here and cope with computer screen brightness also.

Have a great day. Thanks for posting!

Jim

(Jimberry and the Couscous)

Jimberry and the Couscous - Too much information
- Failure to habituate
#ActuallyAutistic #Ableism #RightToThrive #Neglect #AutismAdvancement

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 10:27 am

People often set and have expectations of other adults in particular settings and situations and especially if the rules are unwritten. If you attend a club or some sort of church group, you're automatically expected to follow suit. Along with not appearing to fit in socially, the leaders of these groups tend to find ways to pick on us.

I am also going to talk about roommates since this applies to making friends and unwritten rules too. In a roommate situation, it's not really about making friends. Rather, it's similar to having colleagues and following the guidelines of the roommate agreement. Sometimes those expectations aren't always met and the roommates might not have the patience. Again, they think we are doing things on purpose so bullying takes place.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2022, 12:52 pm

I was bullied all through my childhood and, to a certain degree, through young adulthood.

I live in a small town in a quiet area and I don’t work so I’m not often in contact with people other than my immediate family, so no I don’t get bullied. If I put myself out there, tried to make friends, volunteered etc I definitely think I’d get bullied, hence why I keep to myself.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 8:16 am

A few other things to note:

1. Adults can be bullies to people when they are a part of a clique as you usually have the leader of the pack to sets all kinds of social rules and norms. Meanwhile the others are so eager to fit in that they will follow these rules because they are social creatures who want to be able to fit in and not stand out. That means being mean and rude to anyone on the outside that the leader doesn't approve of.

2. I have had special needs parents of adult children bully me because they are set in their ways about all people with disabilities being less than they are.

3. I also get bullied because I am very outspoken and honest

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 9:45 am

I still get bullied but it's much more snide remarks and passive aggressive stuff. There is also really unhelpful and unthinking stuff in the workplace.

On the former I think people can sense when you are gentle and wont bite back, and some just can't help but attack you to enhance or solidify their perceived social rank. Just seems so pointless.

On the latter something recent that has really got me upset is when the head of our division commented on a mini presentation I did and focused only on my behaviour rather than the content and results. They just said I was clearly very nervous and that I needed to be confident, commanding, and slick to get ahead. Great, thank you, those are the things I can't change and are manifestations of my ASD. I don't even work in an area where those things should matter, it's all technical work.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 6:02 am

munstead wrote:
On the former I think people can sense when you are gentle and wont bite back, and some just can't help but attack you to enhance or solidify their perceived social rank. Just seems so pointless.

Or you do and get locked in some endless battle :lol: Lots of people in this world can't accept the world no. They're still upset over Mommy and Daddy.

Quote:
They just said I was clearly very nervous and that I needed to be confident, commanding, and slick to get ahead.

That's really annoying. Sadly, that is what most people respond to. Hence, the success of a lot of braindead politicians. Most people trust tone of voice and barely listen to the words. That guy should have realized it was unimportant in this situation, like you're getting at.

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2022, 9:32 am

Has this gotten worse or better for anyone lately?
I wonder if it changes with people's attitudes and conditions of the economy?

CrazyEspy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2022, 10:45 am

Sailon wrote:
Has this gotten worse or better for anyone lately?
I wonder if it changes with people's attitudes and conditions of the economy?

Well from being a kid to now in general like someone else said in this thread a long time ago that in adulthood, the same bullies are still doing their things but they're more backstabbing and sneaky about it with more passive aggression. Ever since things started returning to normal from the pandemic situation people definitely seem to be a bit more edgy these days but I suspect it just from things getting harder and more people are just taking out more negativity in the same ways.

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2022, 6:39 pm

CrazyEspy wrote:

Well from being a kid to now in general like someone else said in this thread a long time ago that in adulthood, the same bullies are still doing their things but they're more backstabbing and sneaky about it with more passive aggression.

I think you're right. Is this just a natural predatory inclination on their part or is it something else causing their behavior?

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2022, 3:50 am

I have been “midly” bullied during my school years, never physical beatings but always psychological offences. It took its toll and now I am seeing a psychologist 1 time x month.

As an Adult though, there is nobody who dares to challenge me or offend me as a Man. I am tall, quite big and I make my appearance. If someone dares to offend me I Don’t care honestly now that I am adult.
If someone dares to touch me, he’s in for a lot of troubles cause first I will beat him back and second I will go to the police and explain the whole history along with witnesses if available.