Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 1:57 pm

From the perspectives of an adult with High Functioning Autism (HFA):

NTs seeking to assist adults on the Autism Spectrum might have found and investigated WP; yet may have been discouraged out of confusion in understanding a rather well.......confusing WP environment.

It's natural for newer WP users/members to focus mainly on the 'General Autism Discussion Forum' - the main WP forum is an active, hectic forum on WP - "It is what it is!"

The WP subfourms are well slower paced, and hence might offer clearer insights for NTs seeking to help adults.

Scroll down the list of WP subforums (highlighted in blue), and investigate the following forums as examples:

* In the 'Coping in Life' Forums - 'Social Skills & Making Friends.'

* In the 'Topical Discussion' - 'Art, Writing and Music' Forum is an example - that is the arts have proven to be "icebreakers of sorts" for the Autism Spectrum.

* In the 'Age/Gender' related discussions - the 'In-Depth Adult-Life Discussion' Forum provides important insights from older Wp members.

Many of us here on WP look forward to perspectives from those awesome NTs wanting to better understand the Autism Spectrum.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 5:01 am

As far as I know, I'm the only NT who regularly posts on WP. Teach51 is the only other NT who is a semi-regular poster,

My one direct ftf connection to autism is my daughter who is moderate-high functioning (depending on the day).

I'll let Teach speak for herself (she nearly cut my head off doing it once) but she's in a relationship with an autistic male and has autistic friends.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 7:43 pm

Yep....Looks like I'm the only one... :D

I think I'll do a one man show as I can see there's 150 users reading this :lol:

Ask me anything guys/girls ?

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 9:47 pm

Well, I'm here too, FWIW. I try to stay out of the way, for the most part, because I came here years ago to learn.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 1:16 am

cyberdad wrote:

I think I'll do a one man show as I can see there's 150 users reading this :lol:

You're lucky to be NT. I wish I was. :cry:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 7:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
As far as I know, I'm the only NT who regularly posts on WP. Teach51 is the only other NT who is a semi-regular poster,

My one direct ftf connection to autism is my daughter who is moderate-high functioning (depending on the day).

I'll let Teach speak for herself (she nearly cut my head off doing it once) but she's in a relationship with an autistic male and has autistic friends.

...Am I being included in the NT category? I think I post fairly regularly. Maybe not, I'm often questioning about whether I'm neurotypical or not. The aspie quiz said I was equally neurotypical and neurodiverse so take that how you will (it was also shaped like a cat which I found amusing). Granted, that is not the best of sources.

I don't feel qualified to talk for either side. :lol:

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 5:41 am

cyberdad wrote:

Can you juggle?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 8:30 pm

NT input is encouraged in the following WP discussion thread:
viewtopic.php?t=395948

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:58 pm

aquafelix wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Can you juggle?

:lol: I'm ok up to three balls

But on a serious note multitasking is an essential requirement to live in this world :(

Last edited by cyberdad on 08 Apr 2021, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You're lucky to be NT. I wish I was. :cry:

Nah, we aren't that different, We try to make ends meet, slave to money and then we die.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Any efforts to boost the number of participating NTs here on WP? Two known NTs contributing to WP falls (way too) short!

The purpose of this thread is to boost those collective experiences of those experienced with successful AS/NT friendships- from both the NT, and AS experiences.

How many are aware of http://www.AANE.org in the Boston Region? From what I've read about AANE, they seem to be that rare model in efforts in understanding AS/NT perspectives with adults.

Anybody aware of AANE, please chime-in to this discussion thread - as most of us here on WP are not in close proximity to the Boston Region.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 2:11 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Any efforts to boost the number of participating NTs here on WP? Two known NTs contributing to WP falls (way too) short!

There aren't that many NTs on WP outside of the parent thread (where I started). I know I am the only regular NT here on WP in certain topic threads such as news, friendship, general and a few others.

May I suggest posting this call on the parent thread.

On a similar note I've tried reaching out to my local autism associations here in Melbourne and found the local aspies chicken out from meeting an NT. I also notice most aspies here on WP don't find what I post of sufficient interest to respond (let alone form interactions/friendships). I have been even accused of click bait to draw attention (although 99% of what I post is based on news/publications and not my personal opinion).

But it is what it is...apsieland :lol:
I accept you guys for being who you are....

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 2:38 am

well, you know... NTs are scary
8O

But seriously, I wish we had more NTs here too, to give the place a bit of balance and help us out with our social queries.
There was that lovely lady with the aspie husband who used lots of :heart: s.
Not sure if she's still here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 5:12 am

MrsPeel wrote:
8O

But seriously, I wish we had more NTs here too, to give the place a bit of balance and help us out with our social queries.

I agree. You meet one NT...you've met one NT....we are pretty diverse too

I don't want to be the only rep for NTs, a bit of diversity will help.....

I also agree! the ignorance/arrogance among NTs is damn scary :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 5:21 am

MrsPeel wrote:
8O

You mean Clueless2017? I haven't seen her for a while here either.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 6:04 am

Yes, that was her.
I wonder if we might have scared her off?
She was nice but extremely... NT-ish? I don't have a word for it.
I have a friend who is also very NT in a similar way and we both have to work very hard at not accidentally upsetting each other.