Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2021, 4:17 am

I really like the ancient or traditional music of various cultures. I figured it might be cool to make a thread where we can post folk music or music otherwise based on old folk traditions like neo-pagan music or whatever. I'm thinking Wardruna, Percival, Arany Zoltan, and so on. All those I brought up are European, but please post other music from around the world too!

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 8:05 am

That's my kind of thread! I love Loreena Mckennitt for starters. Her music is inspired by different cultures around the world, celtic middle eastern etc.

Also like The Moon and the Nightspirit, Omnia, Ghymes (Hungarian folk music) Anuna for Irish folk songs.

And recently became a fan of Jordi Savall (what i listene from him is more medieval)

I also love traditional chinese music too, but i don't know much about it.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 2:00 pm

I could go on...

/Mats

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2021, 6:21 pm

Very nice AprilR!

mohsart, I knew I recognized Vanner och Frander, because I had heard the version by Garmarna:

This is easily my favorite Garmarna album. Nothing else they did has the same vibe.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 8:06 am

A fairly modern take of the Sami songstyle Jojk

/Mats

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2021, 7:03 pm

Arany Zoltan is great, I discovered him from his recreations of secular medieval music. That's kind of what he's known for, but he also covers folk music from various countries.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 3:16 am

Anyone remember The Negresses Vertes?

/Mats

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2021, 12:36 am

Harald Foss performs "viking era" Scandinavian poetry. His music is great, very stripped down. Just him and one or two simple instruments. More like listening to an old skald by a campfire than a big production. I originally found it posted by the channel vikingskog, but since he is a white nationalist, I posted a different channel's upload of the song.

If you're into that stripped down style, there is also the Wardruna album literally called Skald.