Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 7:03 am

Welcome. If you see something interesting feel free to ask questions about it.

SN359
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2021, 7:53 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Welcome. If you see something interesting feel free to ask questions about it.

Thanks, I will do that :)

SN359
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Apr 2021, 9:35 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
SN359 wrote:

I'm so exhausted all the time and just had the thought of 'is that all I have to look forward to for the next 5-7 decades? More constant work just to function without any outlook of it getting easier?' I kind of want to cry if this is my reality.

Depends on the reasons why you are exhausted all the time. Exactly what all kinds of "constant work" are you doing "just to function"?

If, for example, you are constantly trying to force yourself to look "normal," my suggestion would be that you try to arrange your life so you don't have to look "normal" all the time. We can, perhaps, brainstorm specific possibilities on how to do this once you confirm that this is the main issue, if indeed it is.

Hi, yes that's exactly what I mean. Thank you for offering help.

Quite honestly, I've been trying to look more 'normal' for so long it's almost second nature but I don't realise how draining it is until I'm not in the situation anymore where I do it. I don't even really know how much I can reduce it, realistically. I know some things I need to keep doing like saying hi, bye, please and thank you, keeping eye contact with people as we talk and stop what I'm doing so they know I'm paying attention. And those are okay.

It's more stuff like needing extra time to think how to say something. I've been told how blunt I sounded and how cold or arrogant I looked as a child because I didn't know how to express emotion properly or afraid that I'd be laughed at. This happened less often as I got older, because I learned to word myself more casually, respond or react more obviously outwardly and so on. Even as I'm writing all this I'm becoming more aware of how most of this is learned behaviour I'm imitating, not because of an internal reaction.

I don't have many friends irl right now, so I can't tell if I feel less forced to use these behaviours with them or not. I mostly notice it in day to day interactions, or work colleagues. It also happens more with people, even those I'm close to, who tend to be highly emotional or reactive, so I feel forced to keep up.

I don't think I want to revert back to how 'cold' I was but if there is a way I can avoid feeling like I'm constantly acting, it would be really good. If you've had this issue, what have you done to tackle it?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 11:03 am

I find humor lubricates social awkwardness. Without knowing I was an Aspie I developed a dry humor over the decades--it seems to help a lot. If you can get a quick smile from folk they seem more tolerant.

Wry self-depreciating humor can be good, too. Being realistic, there will probably always be some folk who think you are kind of "funny". (My family wasn't always that diplomatic.) You might as well arrange things so they are laughing with you rather than at you.

Now I will wander into personal speculation... I figured out I was not good at socializing but I also wasn't that interested in socializing. And, in fact, I had pretty much given up any hope of having a successful romance when I met my future bride. I had a friendly chat with her, it turned out we had some common interests, then we went our separate ways--I never expected to see her again and, unbeknownst to me, she was disappointed I had not asked for her phone number. A few months later she needed an easy favor, remembered me and realized I was a good candidate, figured out how to contact me and did so. While we were on the phone I figured out there was another way I could help her but it would involve meeting in person...and I hesitantly got a dinner date out of it. She is no longer my future bride; she's been my bride for more than 20 years now. :heart:

What was that speculation I mentioned? I'm not good at socializing. I'm best at dealing with other people when we are collectively trying to accomplish something or learn something. Maybe goal-oriented activities would be good for you, also?

And it is quite obvious that I did better talking to my future bride just as a pleasant acquaintance rather than solely to seek romance. Maybe that was a good thing?

And, yet another thing... I think I've read that male Aspies sometimes do best with gals with strong, outgoing personalities. Certainly that's where I've had the best luck. Those might be good gals for you to go out of your way to help.

SN359
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2021, 6:58 am

Double Retired wrote:
I find humor lubricates social awkwardness. Without knowing I was an Aspie I developed a dry humor over the decades--it seems to help a lot. If you can get a quick smile from folk they seem more tolerant.

Wry self-depreciating humor can be good, too. Being realistic, there will probably always be some folk who think you are kind of "funny". (My family wasn't always that diplomatic.) You might as well arrange things so they are laughing with you rather than at you.

Now I will wander into personal speculation... I figured out I was not good at socializing but I also wasn't that interested in socializing. And, in fact, I had pretty much given up any hope of having a successful romance when I met my future bride. I had a friendly chat with her, it turned out we had some common interests, then we went our separate ways--I never expected to see her again and, unbeknownst to me, she was disappointed I had not asked for her phone number. A few months later she needed an easy favor, remembered me and realized I was a good candidate, figured out how to contact me and did so. While we were on the phone I figured out there was another way I could help her but it would involve meeting in person...and I hesitantly got a dinner date out of it. She is no longer my future bride; she's been my bride for more than 20 years now. :heart:

What was that speculation I mentioned? I'm not good at socializing. I'm best at dealing with other people when we are collectively trying to accomplish something or learn something. Maybe goal-oriented activities would be good for you, also?

And it is quite obvious that I did better talking to my future bride just as a pleasant acquaintance rather than solely to seek romance. Maybe that was a good thing?

And, yet another thing... I think I've read that male Aspies sometimes do best with gals with strong, outgoing personalities. Certainly that's where I've had the best luck. Those might be good gals for you to go out of your way to help.

I get you on the humour. I've had to learn to laugh at myself over the years and now can do it most times. I'm still a little insecure about humour over all - I'll try to be sarcastic or dry but don't know when I've gone too far and am being hurtful. I also found certain kinds of self depreciating humour are off putting unfortunately. I'm very careful with humour unless I'm with friends who know that's just what I sound like. But I think I have gotten better with time. I struggle to see myself as charming but am told I can have a sort of innocently awkward charm so I'm learning to go with it. But, this is good advice and it's nice to know I'm going the right way. I will keep learning.

Something goal oriented...that's not something I had considered before but I will look into this. To tie that into developing a romantic relationship from friendship or even the suggested goal oriented activity, I think I can work with that. I will admit, relationships are one of the most important things to me, so my inability to be very successful there gets me down a lot.

By taking the focus off the relationship and redirecting my attention toward a goal, this should help me not to become so sad by only looking at negative things. I've tried one thing so far, so trying a new thing may bring different results.

As for the type of partner I should look for, you're likely right in looking at outgoing personalities. That do seem to be who I'm drawn to naturally. I feel less lost and pressured to act and likely get it wrong.

Your relationship sounds beautiful and something to aspire to. You really give me hope this isn't just possible but a realistic goal I can set :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 1:47 pm

SN359 wrote:
Your relationship sounds beautiful and something to aspire to. You really give me hope this isn't just possible but a realistic goal I can set
I can but wish you happiness. Other than that there is no warranty on anything I said...because while my bride and I are firmly in love I can honestly say I cannot explain how we got together. It confuses and surprises me...but makes me very happy. :heart:

SN359
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Apr 2021, 12:00 am

Double Retired wrote:
SN359 wrote:
Your relationship sounds beautiful and something to aspire to. You really give me hope this isn't just possible but a realistic goal I can set
I can but wish you happiness. Other than that there is no warranty on anything I said...because while my bride and I are firmly in love I can honestly say I cannot explain how we got together. It confuses and surprises me...but makes me very happy. :heart:

You're fine, I do understand nothing is guaranteed when it comes to most things, and love is one of them. I actually appreciate you saying it because I've heard too often that 'of course it will happen because it happens to everyone'. The truth is it doesn't and I'd rather be told the truth than given nice phrases to make me feel better in the moment.

Thank you very much for the well wishes :) Even if love doesn't happen, I will find a way to be happy in other ways.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 9:22 am

SN359 wrote:
...I will find a way to be happy...
Good plan! And, and if Opportunity knocks, ANSWER THE DOOR!

I was very, very fortunate that I got a second chance with Opportunity after ignoring it once. I can only wonder how many times I ignored Opportunity knocking in the decades before that.

P.S. Be cautious, though, when you answer the door...you don't want to scare Opportunity away! I suspect a lot of us guys make that mistake.

SN359
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2021, 9:59 pm

Double Retired wrote:
SN359 wrote:
...I will find a way to be happy...
Good plan! And, and if Opportunity knocks, ANSWER THE DOOR!

I was very, very fortunate that I got a second chance with Opportunity after ignoring it once. I can only wonder how many times I ignored Opportunity knocking in the decades before that.

P.S. Be cautious, though, when you answer the door...you don't want to scare Opportunity away! I suspect a lot of us guys make that mistake.

I will try! I've been known to be a little oblivious sometimes, but I'll keep my eyes wide open and approach carefully :)

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2021, 9:44 am

Double Retired wrote:
The general wisdom is that if you've met one Aspie you've met one Aspie. That is, we're not all the same, just as all left-handed people are not the same.

In my case I'd say being an Aspie (even though I didn't know it) was in some ways helpful for me and in some ways a problem.

It was fortuitous that I liked computers and I think being an Aspie allowed me to be good with them. That and perseverance (perhaps also from being an Aspie) positioned me well financially. I retired at 56 and am financially secure. Though there was unhappiness along the way.

It is often said that Aspies tend to have average or above average intelligence. Well, I'm in Mensa...and most of the people I am socially involved with are either family or from Mensa. I met my bride in Mensa.

Aspie kids apparently often tend to be well-behaved. I was. Fortunately! I think I would have been bad at being bad--I would have frequently gotten into trouble due to ineptness.

On the other hand, the socializing thing was an issue. I was not good at it. I did not find good romance until my 40s. (Hint: Humor helps! Dry, subtle humor can lubricate social awkwardness.)

But, if you've met one Aspie you've met one Aspie. My life is my life and your life is yours. On WP you will find some happy Aspies who married young and have children and grandchildren. And you will find others who are miserable with their lot in life. And now there is one more WP person who is not like everyone else: you!

When I finally concluded I was probably a high-functioning Autistic (I've since gotten better with my terminology) I briefly thought I was doing pretty well in life despite it. I then wondered if some other Aspies might have done well. I searched the Internet for lists of famous Aspies. My ego took a beating. Those lists are speculation. Maybe some of the folk listed are Aspies and maybe some are not. But it seems likely to me that at least a significant percentage of them really were Aspies. And I felt dwarfed by them. I can list a couple of dozen possible Aspies so famous that I probably wouldn't even need to give you their full name for you to know who they were and what they were famous for. It would be an honor to share a "syndrome" with any of them!

Just for fun, why don't you search the Internet for lists of famous Aspies?

Then remember three things: (1) the people on those lists may or may not really be Aspies. (2) you shouldn't feel bad about being an Aspie who is less accomplished than them--almost everyone alive or who ever has been alive, Aspie or not, is less accomplished than them! (3) If they could do that well despite being an Aspie, maybe you can do reasonably well, too.

Or, if you would like more practical advice: Don't worry about being an Aspie. Continue with your life. And, maybe learn about being an Aspie--it may or may not be useful but it is kind of interesting.

P.S. I can only point at one clear change in my life because of the diagnosis. Now when my bride bumps up against one of my Aspie traits I can say "I have a doctor's note for that!"
:D She doesn't find that to be as amusing as I do!

P.P.S. Whenever you find yourself in a bad place, remember that would be a bad place to STOP! Keep going!!

Well said. And welcome to WP :D

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:26 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet and feel free to take your time to explore and find a great deal of serenity here away from the stupidtrons in the rest of the world

SN359
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2021, 12:13 am

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
The general wisdom is that if you've met one Aspie you've met one Aspie. That is, we're not all the same, just as all left-handed people are not the same.

In my case I'd say being an Aspie (even though I didn't know it) was in some ways helpful for me and in some ways a problem.

It was fortuitous that I liked computers and I think being an Aspie allowed me to be good with them. That and perseverance (perhaps also from being an Aspie) positioned me well financially. I retired at 56 and am financially secure. Though there was unhappiness along the way.

It is often said that Aspies tend to have average or above average intelligence. Well, I'm in Mensa...and most of the people I am socially involved with are either family or from Mensa. I met my bride in Mensa.

Aspie kids apparently often tend to be well-behaved. I was. Fortunately! I think I would have been bad at being bad--I would have frequently gotten into trouble due to ineptness.

On the other hand, the socializing thing was an issue. I was not good at it. I did not find good romance until my 40s. (Hint: Humor helps! Dry, subtle humor can lubricate social awkwardness.)

But, if you've met one Aspie you've met one Aspie. My life is my life and your life is yours. On WP you will find some happy Aspies who married young and have children and grandchildren. And you will find others who are miserable with their lot in life. And now there is one more WP person who is not like everyone else: you!

When I finally concluded I was probably a high-functioning Autistic (I've since gotten better with my terminology) I briefly thought I was doing pretty well in life despite it. I then wondered if some other Aspies might have done well. I searched the Internet for lists of famous Aspies. My ego took a beating. Those lists are speculation. Maybe some of the folk listed are Aspies and maybe some are not. But it seems likely to me that at least a significant percentage of them really were Aspies. And I felt dwarfed by them. I can list a couple of dozen possible Aspies so famous that I probably wouldn't even need to give you their full name for you to know who they were and what they were famous for. It would be an honor to share a "syndrome" with any of them!

Just for fun, why don't you search the Internet for lists of famous Aspies?

Then remember three things: (1) the people on those lists may or may not really be Aspies. (2) you shouldn't feel bad about being an Aspie who is less accomplished than them--almost everyone alive or who ever has been alive, Aspie or not, is less accomplished than them! (3) If they could do that well despite being an Aspie, maybe you can do reasonably well, too.

Or, if you would like more practical advice: Don't worry about being an Aspie. Continue with your life. And, maybe learn about being an Aspie--it may or may not be useful but it is kind of interesting.

P.S. I can only point at one clear change in my life because of the diagnosis. Now when my bride bumps up against one of my Aspie traits I can say "I have a doctor's note for that!"
:D She doesn't find that to be as amusing as I do!

P.P.S. Whenever you find yourself in a bad place, remember that would be a bad place to STOP! Keep going!!

Well said. And welcome to WP :D

Thank you! My time here so far has been very insightful and helping me adjust :)