Another Casualty of the Cancel Culture

Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 12:49 pm

A children's graphic novel from the immensely popular "Captain Underpants" series will no longer be found in library and book store shelves after the publisher deemed it to contain "passive racism."

The book follows a pair of friends who travel from 500,001 B.C. to 2222, where they meet a martial arts instructor who teaches them kung fu and they learn principles found in Chinese philosophy.

Source: 'Captain Underpants' book pulled for 'passive racism,' author apologizes and vows to donate sales

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 1:01 pm

We need more people with balls to push back against this s**t, instead of...

"I'm sowwy! I'm sowwy!"

How about, "Go fuvk yourselves, you mindless drones! Cultural authoritarianism, regardless of how well meaning, is detrimental to a free society."

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 1:04 pm

We need more authors who have greater awareness of racism in their own writings.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 1:17 pm

Novels from the immensely popular "Captain Underpants" series have frequently been banned from numerous schools and libraries in the US for - among others - promoting LGBT and "Anti-family" content:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_U ... #Book_bans
http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/freq ... ooks/top10

To my knowledge, the people who are now lambasting "Cancel Culture" were conspicuously quiet when this happened...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 1:20 pm

I hope, some day, that common sense gets rid of the excesses of both "cancel culture" and "Trumpism."

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 1:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope, some day, that common sense gets rid of the excesses of both "cancel culture" and "Trumpism."

Common sense is sadly absent from our current political dialog.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 1:27 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Novels from the immensely popular "Captain Underpants" series have frequently been banned from numerous schools and libraries in the US for - among others - promoting LGBT and "Anti-family" content:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_U ... #Book_bans
http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/freq ... ooks/top10

To my knowledge, the people who are now lambasting "Cancel Culture" were conspicuously quiet when this happened...

It's not cancel culture when conservatives demand something be censored for conflicting with their values, but somehow an author voluntarily realizing one piece of their work might be problematic is?

Is that blatant hypocrisy I smell? :scratch:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 1:53 pm

Both sides are certainly guilty of aspects of "cancel culture."

We have to stop with the censorship, and have a healthy debate about things.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 2:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I agree. I think we've passed the point where we'll ever return to normal, intelligent conversations. This country is circling the drain. There's no way back unless Americans, as a whole, wake the f**k up. I don't see that happening. We're doomed!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 2:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
We need more authors who have greater awareness of racism in their own writings.

Not really the point. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

29 Mar 2021, 2:49 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
How about, "Go fuvk yourselves, you mindless drones!

VegetableMan wrote:
I think we've passed the point where we'll ever return to normal, intelligent conversations.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 3:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Agrees with this post :ninja:

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 8:34 am

Now Cancel Culture is Attacking Music

Staff members within the University of Oxford’s music department have reportedly suggested removing sheet music from the school’s curriculum because of its purported connections to a "colonial past."

Professors said that music notation has not "shaken off its connection to its colonial past" and that sticking with it would be a "slap in the face" for students of color, according to documents reviewed by the British outlet The Telegraph.

The same faculty also reportedly questioned whether the current curriculum was complicit in "white supremacy," pointing to the program’s focus on "white European music from the slave period" – composers like Mozart and Beethoven.

The professors further suggested that certain classical music skills – like playing the piano and conducting orchestral arrangements – ought not to be required given that they "structurally center white European music" and cause "students of color great distress."

Source: Oxford music professors suggest scrapping sheet music from curriculum, say it's complicit in 'white supremacy'

I have written Cancel Culture = Bullying.

When I was a school age child, I was surrounded by a bully and his gang. They called me a number of names. I was told that I was stupid, worthless, ret*d. I tried to argue that I wasn't but the bullies would hear none of it. They screamed it all the louder. But as I became an adult I realized this had nothing to do with the words they called me. It had to do with the fact that they had the POWER to call me names and I COULD NOT do anything about it.

The same thing is happening in Cancel Culture. But the words have changed. Words like White Supremacist, Nazi, and Bigot have replaced Stupid, Worthless, and ret*d. Due to the Internet, the size of the bullies have grown. Sometimes they number thousands or millions. And they wield much damage. Often times because of the Internet, they can be invisible or assume false identities. But the process remains the same. Cancel Culture = Bullying.

Since most Aspies have been bullied when they were young. I am a little shocked that many on this site would side with the bullies and justify their actions and methods.

Last edited by jimmy m on 30 Mar 2021, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 8:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Can we at least stop pretending creators voluntarily retracting work is censorship? It's not and it's dishonest for blowhard pundits to pretend it is.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 9:00 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Can we at least stop pretending creators voluntarily retracting work is censorship?

What methods do NTs use when confronted by bullies? Do they stand up to the bullies? Yes, sometimes. But many will seek a way out. They may deflect the criticism. Some may even join the bully and his gang. Most young people are terrorized by bullies and hide in the shadows. Some Aspies will become class clowns and evolve into great comedians using humor to deflect the arrows that are shot at them.

So if a creator voluntarily retracts his work, what is motivating them? Are they so afraid of being criticized in this modern culture that the faintest whiff of criticism causes them to raise the white flag without a fight.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 9:03 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Can we at least stop pretending creators voluntarily retracting work is censorship? It's not and it's dishonest for blowhard pundits to pretend it is.
But it does fit the Conservative / MAGA / QAnon / Scientology / Woo-woo narrative.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.