Trial of Derek Chauvin, who Killed George Floyd

Page 1 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 12:02 pm

Yesterday's opening arguments were on all the major networks, so I just turned the TV off. Today live trial coverage is on several cable news networks, such as CNN, MSNBC, HLN, but not on the broadcast networks. They've been questioning some of the bystanders as to what they saw, including the teen girl who filmed the whole thing on her cell phone. It just sickens me both what happened to George Floyd, but also to hear what those kids (one only in 3rd grade) witnessed.

I said to my husband, if that officer gets acquitted, there is going to be hell to pay.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 12:21 pm

How can they convict Chauvin when they don't know what caused Floyd's heart to stop?

Dueling scientific experts will say different causes are possible.

The jury has to determine beyond a reasonable doubt that it's Chauvin that caused Floyd's heart to stop, not drugs, not artery blockage, not COVID, not sudden stress ...

Be the hero of your life.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 12:29 pm

It doesn't matter what the immediate cause of death was, having someone cut off the blood supply to your brain for 9 and a half minutes has to be a contributory cause of death. If it would kill a person in perfect health, how much sooner it would kill someone with compromised health.

These witnesses testified that the medics asked Chauvin "nicely" to get off Floyd's neck, and he didn't. They had to physically pull them apart. Pretty damning stuff. Chauvin didn't want Floyd to get timely medical help. Presumably he was thinking "cops never convicted for this sort of thing," and largely, he'd have been right.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 8:02 am

Chauvin should have taken whatever plea bargain was offered to him....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 8:59 am

BeaArthur wrote:
... I said to my husband, if that officer gets acquitted, there is going to be hell to pay.
Unfortunately, if Derek Chauvin is acquitted, it is not he who will be "paying Hell", but the shop-owners and bystanders who will be targeted by rioters.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 9:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

We don't know if he was offered any. Trials can go any which way, but that video was damning. And the testimony of eyewitnesses takes it one level further.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 9:04 am

Fnord wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
... I said to my husband, if that officer gets acquitted, there is going to be hell to pay.
Unfortunately, if Derek Chauvin is acquitted, it is not he who will be "paying Hell", but the shop-owners and bystanders who will be targeted by rioters.

Well, I agree. It will be enormous anger all over the country, which is never a good thing.

I'm glad the family of George Floyd got a $27M settlement from the city. But if we are to have any respect for the criminal justice system, Chauvin needs to get a conviction too.

He's gonna have a wonderful time in the penitentiary. Cops are not well received; racist and sadistic cops, even less so.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 9:27 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Fnord wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Well, I agree. It will be enormous anger all over the country, which is never a good thing.  I'm glad the family of George Floyd got a $27M settlement from the city.  But if we are to have any respect for the criminal justice system, Chauvin needs to get a conviction too.  He's gonna have a wonderful time in the penitentiary.  Cops are not well received; racist and sadistic cops, even less so.
IF he gets convicted, and IF he gets sentenced to time in a penitentiary, he may not be released into the general population out of fear that someone may kneel on his neck.

IF he is acquitted, the only form of justice left would be mob/street justice, and that is not likely to occur.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 9:52 am

BeaArthur wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

We don't know if he was offered any. Trials can go any which way, but that video was damning. And the testimony of eyewitnesses takes it one level further.

Chauvin was offered 10 years, and he accepted it.

However, Trump's DOJ said NO.

AG Barr quashed plea deal by fired Officer Derek Chauvin in George Floyd death
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ag ... e-n1257457

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 9:54 am

BeaArthur wrote:
It doesn't matter what the immediate cause of death was, having someone cut off the blood supply to your brain for 9 and a half minutes has to be a contributory cause of death. If it would kill a person in perfect health, how much sooner it would kill someone with compromised health.

These witnesses testified that the medics asked Chauvin "nicely" to get off Floyd's neck, and he didn't. They had to physically pull them apart. Pretty damning stuff. Chauvin didn't want Floyd to get timely medical help. Presumably he was thinking "cops never convicted for this sort of thing," and largely, he'd have been right.

There is no evidence Chauvin cutoff Floyd's blood supply.

Two autopsies were performed and neither found any evidence that the blood flow was cutoff.

There is no evidence Chauvin even killed him.

Last edited by TheRobotLives on 31 Mar 2021, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 9:56 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

There is no evidence Chauvin cutoff Floyd's blood supply.  There is no evidence Chauvin killed him.
The evidence is there, you are just denying it.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 10:02 am

Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

There is no evidence Chauvin cutoff Floyd's blood supply.  There is no evidence Chauvin killed him.
The evidence is there, you are just denying it.

Neither autopsy found evidence of Floyd's blood flow being cutoff, so what evidence are you speaking about?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 10:08 am

Defense argument: ""The evidence will show that Mr. Floyd died of a cardiac arrhythmia that occurred as a result of hypertension, his coronary disease, the ingestion of methamphetamine and fentanyl, and the adrenaline flowing through his body — all of which acted to further compromise an already compromised heart," Nelson said.
https://www.npr.org/sections/trial-over ... fense-says

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 11:36 am

All right, so he died of anoxia in the brain. Blood supply was not cut off, but the blood was not oxygenated. Does that make you happy?

EMTs on the scene wanted to perform CPR or coach Chauvin how to do that, and Chauvin resisted.

It's kind of irrelevant what you attribute the death to. He was a man in visible, expressed distress, and assistance not only was not rendered, but was prevented. It was barbaric. You wouldn't treat a dog that way.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Mar 2021, 11:44 am

Apparently the knee pressed into Floyd's neck just happened to be there, a mere inconsequential detail that changed nothing. :roll:

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 11:49 am

Cornflake wrote:
Apparently the knee pressed into Floyd's neck just happened to be there, a mere inconsequential detail that changed nothing. :roll:

That may be what the defense attempts to prove. To get an acquittal they are going to have to convince people that George Floyd would have died during the rest even if Chauvin didn't press his knee down on Floyd's neck.

I can't see it working but they may see it as their best defense.