I quit my job after the first day

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2021, 11:12 pm

I started working at Amazon the other day, and when they had me start training, I realized then and there that this job was not for me. They first had me stacking boxes evenly on a pallet. The boxes were not all the same size so it was difficult for me to find a place for all of the boxes to fit on one pallet. They told me that I did okay but not great. Then they had me wrap the pallet of boxes which I struggled with even after they showed me. Half the time I couldn't hear what the training manager was saying because it was loud in there and we all had masks on. Then they had me taking packages off the conveyor belt, scanning them, and placing them on the right pallet. All the pallets were divided into 10 zones. You had to place the package on the proper pallet and then scan another package that was on the same pallet so that you knew it made it to the right pallet. This part wasn't so bad, but the space between the conveyor belt and the pallets were very narrow and you had other people around you doing the same thing. Some of the packages were really heavy so you had to take the heavy package from the conveyor belt to the correct pallet while other people are in your way. Not all of the pallets are clearly marked so you have to walk around and figure out the correct pallet that the package goes onto while you are trying to make your way through other workers. I heard a lot of bad things about working for Amazon before I started this job so my expectations were low, but I went in with an open mind. I only had a 5 hour training period and my arms, legs, and back were sore for 2 days. I don't know how anybody does that job for 12 hours a day or more. That is why Amazon's turnover rate is high. Most people quit within their first week. I've even heard some people who have quit during their break on their first day. I have a cousin who quit Amazon after 3 days. The pay is not worth working there. I was going to try and give it another chance, but then I decided not to bother because I knew I wasn't going to stay there for very long even if I went in on my second or third day.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:05 am

Yeah, warehouse jobs are sh***y and physically rough.

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2021, 8:41 pm

Damn, I can relate. You have no idea.

I was job hunting, and applying everywhere. Really needed a job. I got contacted to interview with FedEx, for a warehouse package handler job. Interview seemed fine, and was told what the job would entail, and they figured I was qualified, and fit for the job. So I was hired.

First day of training, oh my god, first day, was my last.

The trainer guy, bless him, he was really nice and honest. However, the fact he was honest and direct, scared me from coming back ever lol.

I thought it was going to be a simple job of picking up packages, and putting them on the belt, and loading them off the truck and slapping labels on them.

Nope. It's a lot of physical demanding labor work. Which me being frail, and I have asthma; I'm not really like Incredible Hulk or He Man or Batman or Superman. I can't do all that.

Also, he mentioned there are a lot of safety risks and factors. Losing fingers and hands, just for being careless for half a second and placing your hand on the belt where it shouldn't. People having back pain and issues. Pain from lifting the boxes up. Slipping and falling and breaking your legs/feet, from not watching your step. People getting squashed and turned into pancakes, from the levers and platforms.

I didn't want to go to work, and wonder if today is going to be the day I don't come home with my hands, or feet or legs or worse, I get flattened like a piece of a paper. lol. Yeah.

I then went online on social media, and found out how many people went through FedEx warehouse/packing handling training, and had similar feelings and experiences etc.

I decided that job was not for me. It's a good job for people that don't mind all that. but yeah.

How funny, I can relate to you so much OP with this situation.