Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 4:31 pm

Autism Speaks Partnering With Google to 'Cure' Autism Sparks Backlash

Quote:
research project spearheaded by the controversial autism advocacy organization Autism Speaks and the tech behemoth Google has drawn the ire of some Twitter users, who argue that its ultimate goal to "cure" autism is problematic.

MSSNG, which was launched in 2014, involves the collection and sequencing of DNA from people with a personal or family history of autism. The two absent letter I's from the word "Missing" in the title are meant to represent genetic gaps, per ABC.

Such genetic material is stored in a database that was built with Google technologies. Currently, data on 11,312 individuals, including 5,102 with autism and 6,079 without autism, is available, according to a PDF that can be downloaded from the project's website.

The project says this information will be shared widely with researchers in the hopes of eventually enabling "the identification of many subtypes of autism."

On March 30, the popular Twitter page @AnarchistMemeCo shared a screenshot of the MSSNG Project's website homepage accompanied by screenshots of Tweets that read, in part, "I am not a disease, please do not try to f***ing cure me" and "f*** google and f*** Autism Speaks."

The post seemed to strike a chord with many other netizens. As of Wednesday afternoon, it had racked up more than 32,000 likes. Many decried the project's mission as "eugenics

However, dissent reigned in the replies as well. Some commenters argued that critics of MSSNG overlooked what they see as the pronounced negative impact autism can have on the overall quality of life.

"It's not an attack on autistic people to say autism should be cured. It is a medical condition that hinders human development/behavior," user @backlogrob wrote. "Learning to live with autism and feeling good about yourself doesn't mean doctors shouldn't study it more for a cure. This is not mean to say."

Autism Speaks has yet to address the controversy

bolding=mine
This article is pretty basic stuff to most readers of this section.

WP had plenty of threads on #MSSNG when it first launched and in the years that followed but the topic has rarely been discussed in the last few years so I guess it is good that Newsweek did an article on it both to remind veteran followers of Autism politics and inform newer followers.

Autism Speaks refusing to address this is legitimate reason to suspect neferous intent.

I q

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 01 Apr 2021, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 4:34 pm

Perhaps what really needs cured is Autism Speaks. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 7:17 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Perhaps what really needs cured is Autism Speaks. 8)

It's evil to target people just because they are different. This is no different than discrimination of people because of their differing ethnicity or skin color. Attempting to cure Autism is no different than conversion therapy for homosexuals. It's infuriating.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 1:02 pm

As usual some people think they own autism, everyone is as functional as them or has the same opinion as them.

Some people want better treatments for their medical issues those that don’t, need not take any new treatments that get released.

They think the world revolves around them, they don’t want something so no one else should either LOL

- George Bernie Shaw