What interests have you nailed or mastered or are good at?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 3:30 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Some activities you can't measure what is "mastered" or "good"

For example, plenty of precious lil "people" told me that I should get published. However none of them know anything about the publication process. You can't measure quality. Maybe they were humoring me like I was a young child. (Patronizing ) they thought they were encouraging and kind. But "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

Your writing style is concise, clever and direct. I don't imagine other people are patronizing you when they say you should be published or that you could be. They might not be reaching a realistic conclusion about how ready you are to be published but their praise is likely sincere because you're genuinely deserving of it.

If it's a goal that appeals to you it would be worth pursuing, you have the talent to make it a more realistic goal than it would be for many people even if you might have other limiting factors that might make it seem like it's not very realistic.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 3:33 pm

I can compose music inside my head without any real difficulty.

I can often write 'stream of consciousness' style and not have any significant grammatical errors in the first draft.

I can out-rhyme anyone on here except possibly Ocean. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2021, 3:35 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I'm good at playing video games... lol

I am also good at taking pictures of things and cooking. My family always has me take pictures for them and I cook most meals now.

Have you had many interests?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 3:42 pm

Dear_one wrote:
^^ a material that makes a good wire is the usual goal in superconductivity, but I think the options would really open up if we looked for something that could be 3-D printed in a matrix with a supporting insulator.

I am working on something along that line for an entirely different purpose than superconductivity. I cannot say much because it is in the testing stages now for the properties I am after. If it gets published/patented, then I might discuss it later on.

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2021, 4:26 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Does anyone else have anything there’re good at?

- Speaking well and with key inflections driven by the context of the setting.
- Understanding context or structuralizing my environment(not immediately, it's done inductively)
- Salesmanship
- Researching topics of interest(I've found I can collect credible sources for a subject very quickly ... I thank my university education for that one)
- Following a good diet
- Achieving self-analysis using various methods utilizing self-knowledge
- Getting away with doing as little as possible for others(mostly in jobs I've had)

There's probably more but that's off the top of head.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 4:29 pm

Technic1 wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I am also good at taking pictures of things and cooking. My family always has me take pictures for them and I cook most meals now.

I have a lot of interests, but I'm not really "good" at most of them. The only things I'm "good" at are taking care of animals, cooking, and playing video games.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2021, 5:17 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Technic1 wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I have a lot of interests, but I'm not really "good" at most of them. The only things I'm "good" at are taking care of animals, cooking, and playing video games.

Animals count and that is a professional job.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 6:43 pm

I have mastered the art of hanging out in a forum and knowing without reading the topic closely, whether I want to respond or even read the topic. I've gotten quite good at that, and also good at resisting any temptation to read and respond anyway.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 12:50 am

Technic1 wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Animals count and that is a professional job.

True. I have recently been trying to find places near me where I can work/volunteer that involve caring for animals, so I can get more proper experience with that and eventually turn it into a career.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2021, 2:34 am

I can't say I have mastered it (I haven't been to that many places), but I'm quite proud of my solo-travel skills. It's something I've put a lot of effort into and have gained a lot from.

I also like to think I'm decently good at my second language. :)

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2021, 11:35 am

I'm an expert at photography and writing. I am a polymath but good at a lot of things. I discovered I am a good cook which just happened. I am good at getting along with cats. I've had people ask me if a strange cat was mine, and I have petted mean cats without harm. I have a green thumb. I'm good at layout and design. I'm good at researching old photographs that have information written on them. I can take the works out of a clock and oil it. I have a good sense of humor. I am good at history.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2021, 3:35 pm

Robert312 wrote:
I'm an expert at photography and writing. I am a polymath but good at a lot of things. I discovered I am a good cook which just happened. I am good at getting along with cats. I've had people ask me if a strange cat was mine, and I have petted mean cats without harm. I have a green thumb. I'm good at layout and design. I'm good at researching old photographs that have information written on them. I can take the works out of a clock and oil it. I have a good sense of humor. I am good at history.

That’s good...how good at history are you???

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2021, 5:14 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Robert312 wrote:

That’s good...how good at history are you???

I'm good at certain periods. Ancient. The Mexican American War. Civil War. British.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 7:41 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
If you want this to work cheaply, you will need to invent an room temperature superconducting material. That just is not going to happen in our lifetimes.

Are you sure? They have found the first material some months ago where a common fridge would be cold enough.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2801-z
But of course it's not enough that it becomes superconducting but it has also to stay that in case of strong
magnetic fields and must be cheap and easy enough to handle for making wires of it. :wink:

It is a jump forward towards the goal, but still not at room temperature. The refrigeration of that material would require energy to maintain the superconduction, unless it is done at the arctic zones in the dead of winter.. The material created is very likely sensitive to the environment (that would need to be tested further), so that issue can be problematic for stability long term. I would love to see a stable room temperature superconductor. It would drop the price of maintaining NMRs and NMRIs by a large factor. I just do not see it as an achievable goal in the next thirty years.

I guess that the required pressure of 155 gigapascals could be a bit more of a technical problem then that pretty nice temperature... :wink:

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 11:06 am

quite an extreme wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
If you want this to work cheaply, you will need to invent an room temperature superconducting material. That just is not going to happen in our lifetimes.

Are you sure? They have found the first material some months ago where a common fridge would be cold enough.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2801-z
But of course it's not enough that it becomes superconducting but it has also to stay that in case of strong
magnetic fields and must be cheap and easy enough to handle for making wires of it. :wink:

It is a jump forward towards the goal, but still not at room temperature. The refrigeration of that material would require energy to maintain the superconduction, unless it is done at the arctic zones in the dead of winter.. The material created is very likely sensitive to the environment (that would need to be tested further), so that issue can be problematic for stability long term. I would love to see a stable room temperature superconductor. It would drop the price of maintaining NMRs and NMRIs by a large factor. I just do not see it as an achievable goal in the next thirty years.

I guess that the required pressure of 155 gigapascals could be a bit more of a technical problem then that pretty nice temperature... :wink:

True, that is an engineering issue. Diamond-like materials are the key to eventually getting closer to the goal, but they are still lacking in a few areas.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 2:39 pm

I’m good at trying my hardest and still having it not be good enough. And good at avoiding drawing attention to myself. I’m quite similar to a fake decorative plant especially if there is more than one other person around (a real one would at least be watered occasionally), I may get a perfunctory notice and people don’t typically run into me or anything, but other than that, it’s like I’m not there (even if I try to contribute to the conversation or something, assuming they have let me finish, the other people just sit there with that “I’m only pretending to pay attention” look or the “Just shut up already” look and then carry on as if I hadn’t said anything).

That’s about it for me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"