Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 5:39 pm

Hollywood still can't get autism right
Matthew Rozsa is a staff writer for Salon. He holds an MA in History from Rutgers University-Newark and is ABD in his PhD

Quote:
Yet as we acknowledge World Autism Awareness Day, it is valid to ask ourselves: What does a good representation of autism in media look like? Does such a representation even exist?

When you talk to people who are neurodiverse, one problem they consistently identify is that even well-developed characters who seem to be on the spectrum are frequently "coded" — that is, they are given personality traits associated with autism but are never directly identified as being autistic.

"I have yet to seen a portrayal in the media that feels genuine," Becca Hector, an autism and neurodiversity consultant and mentor in Colorado, told Salon via Facebook. After noting the prevalence of autistic stereotyping in media, and particularly the entertainment industry, she added that "the closest they ever got, in my opinion, is Temperance Bones from the TV show 'Bones.'" Hector praised how the character "acted" autistic and the people around her responded with a mixture of laughter and exasperation, which struck her as realistic. At the same time, Bones was "absolutely coded."

Jen Elcheson, a 39-year-old autistic paraeducator and published author living in western Canada, agreed with Hector about Bones in the Facebook conversation. "Honestly, I find autistic coded characters easier to relate to in entertainment than the ones they purposely make autistic," she observed. "Because when they do it deliberately, it's usually characters laden in all the stereotypes."

Elcheson cited the 2016 movie "Carrie Pilby" as another example of a positive representation of autism in media.

"They described the main character as gifted and introverted, but any autistic could tell you she was one of us," Elcheson explained. Yet the problem is that, again, the character was coded. "When characters are coded not only does the greater public miss out on seeing a different depiction of an autistic that isn't a stereotype, but the autistic community once again experiences erasure," she added. "Not intended, but we feel it."

Jen Elcheson, a 39-year-old autistic paraeducator and published author living in western Canada, agreed with Hector about Bones in the Facebook conversation. "Honestly, I find autistic coded characters easier to relate to in entertainment than the ones they purposely make autistic," she observed. "Because when they do it deliberately, it's usually characters laden in all the stereotypes."

Elcheson cited the 2016 movie "Carrie Pilby" as another example of a positive representation of autism in media.

"They described the main character as gifted and introverted, but any autistic could tell you she was one of us," Elcheson explained. Yet the problem is that, again, the character was coded. "When characters are coded not only does the greater public miss out on seeing a different depiction of an autistic that isn't a stereotype, but the autistic community once again experiences erasure," she added. "Not intended, but we feel it."

Giwa-Onaiwu, who is African American, added that this is analogous to "the same problematic mindset behind 'I don't see color.' We WANT our neurology to be acknowledged and we WANT our color to be seen...just don't look down upon them when you do see them — but please, see us. We're here."

I think for some of the best that we've had recently was definitely Kayla Cromer [who stars as the autistic character Matilda] in 'Everything's Gonna Be Okay," Haley Moss, an autism advocate and the first openly autistic female attorney in Florida history, told Salon. "What makes 'Everything's Gonna Be Okay' so great is we have an autistic actress playing an autistic character. It's very clear that her input is valued, that the character is very inoffensive. She's quirky. She's interesting. She's also kind of coming of age and she's not just dealing with the struggles of being autistic and the challenges and gifts that come along with that. I think that's something really powerful to see, and that it is a representation."

Moss also pointed to the Pixar short film "Loop," which features a non-speaking autistic girl of color on a bus.

Natalie Oden, a 26-year-old actress and model in California who is on the spectrum, perhaps summed it up best.

"In my opinion, I think that representations of autism in media still has a long way to go," Oden told Salon by email. "For example, characters who are autistic are played by actors who are not autistic. Plus, the writing of autistic characters that are based on stereotypes. While yes some autistic people are like that and not all the stereotypes are bad, not all of us act the same."

IMHO this is a breakthrough article. While there have been a number of articles commenting on representation by autistic authors Mr. Rozsa let a number of autistic authors from diverse backgrounds and careers say their thing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 Apr 2021, 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2021, 6:00 pm

The concept of 'coded' characters is interesting. Particularly as many people in real life could come across the same way - not every autistic person walks around saying "Gosh, I'm totally autistic today!" and wearing an I AM AUTISTIC t-shirt. I'm quite happy for TV and movie characters to not be explicitly identified as autistic onscreen; I feel it removes the us-vs-them artificial barrier which is otherwise invisibly set in place between the character and neurotypical audiences.

I'd honestly rather meet someone who subconsciously thought of me "Hey, they're a bit like that movie or TV character Protagonist McCharactername in that thing I liked" than "Oh they're Autistic™, better bring my own personal lack of understanding about that word into play".

A similar problem arises when writers specifically write a character to be capital-A Autistic. The vast majority of writers, currently, don't know enough about autism to be able to portray it accurately - and even an actually accurate portrayal can seem completely off because, hey, different autistic people are different, and autism doesn't express identically in everyone. I'd much rather writers go do some research on autistic people, not autism, and write their character(s) as a blend of those people.

I don't like autism itself being used as a plot point, because it's usually done crudely and badly. But there's no harm in having a plot which evolves due to characters just being a certain way that some people are in real life. You don't need to slap a giant blinking neon label on it. It's enough to write the character as if that's just the way they are and it's not particularly unusual.