Israeli series ‘On the Spectrum’ to HBO Max starting tonight

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 6:15 pm

HBO Max Picks Up Hit Israeli Series ‘On The Spectrum’ From ‘Fauda’ & ‘Shtisel’ Outfit Yes Studios

Quote:
Fauda and Shtisel outfit Yes Studios has sold its hit Israeli series On The Spectrum to HBO Max for North American streaming.

The first five eps of the comedy-drama will be available on April 2 to coincide with Autism Awareness Day. Episodes 6-10 will go up from April 9.

HBO Max has enlisted the help of Los Angeles-based nonprofit Exceptional Minds – a vocational academy and professional digital arts studio that trains artists with autism – as part of the series rollout. Three graduates and one current student of Exceptional Minds provided the dubbing voices for the English version of the series — including the three leads.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 10:56 am

I have completed watching the first season. This is not a review but a very general overview. Since there has been no replies I am going to assume nobody has watched it.

There are two options to watch this. In Hebrew with subtitles or dubbed in English by Autistic actors. Both options present distractions the latter the mouth movements not conflating with what is being said.

This is not another ‘The Good Doctor’ or ‘Big Bang Theory’, the characters live in a group home and thus can not be stereotypically “high functioning”. They are “Aspie” in the that they do use language and are verbal. Their lack of understanding of social dynamics are comical at times but do land them in serious trouble at times. There are situations that will be all to familiar and this I assume triggering for some WP members. The tension between their councilors desire to protect them and their desire for Independence is a theme. Like some WP members one character has a desperate desire to be normal. On a personal note as I watched this often I saw the mistakes and anticipated trouble ahead an thus at first concluded the characters were more severe then myself. At some point it dawned on me that this was my 60 something self reacting that my 20 something self was not literally more higher functioning then the 20 something characters on the show.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman