Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 10:53 pm

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/04/01/a-proclamation-on-world-autism-awareness-day-2021/

Quote:
On World Autism Awareness Day, we celebrate the countless ways that people with autism contribute to our families, our communities, our Nation, and the world, and we shine a light on the systemic barriers people with autism face in their daily lives.

More than 2 percent of American adults and 1 in every 54 of our children have autism — a community of millions who deserve to live full lives of dignity and respect. My Administration is committed to funding cutting-edge research to help us to better understand autism and related health conditions in order to improve quality of life for people with autism and their families in every community.

Recent Government initiatives have focused on detecting autism in the first year of life, funding new national research networks to improve our knowledge of autism, and advancing services and support to help Americans with autism live independently in their communities. A recent apprenticeship initiative from the Department of Labor seeks to open up career pathways for people with autism and other developmental disabilities in thriving fields like information technology and health care. Investments like these and others that we continue to pursue are critical to expanding possibilities and improving life for all people with autism.

Meanwhile, agencies across the Federal Government are working to protect the rights of all people with disabilities — including people with autism — while also advancing equity when it comes to accessing vital services and supports. Our research agencies are working to reduce barriers in access to early diagnoses, interventions, and services for people with autism — including those from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds and rural communities — and to incorporate the perspectives of individuals with autism in scientific research. For too long, disparities in access to health care, education, and services have placed an undue burden on individuals with disabilities and their loved ones, particularly those from underserved communities. My Administration is committed to addressing these inequities in partnership with the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee and the National Autism Coordinator of the Department of Health and Human Services.

We also recognize that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused unique disruptions to, and placed new strains on, the lives of individuals with autism and their families. All Americans should be grateful for the creativity and dedication of educators, health care providers, and others who have rapidly adapted to the limitations of the pandemic by offering virtual learning, telehealth appointments, and other remote services. My Administration is working tirelessly to get America vaccinated, get our children safely back in school, and deliver direct economic relief to families across the country in order to end this year of disruption and alleviate as much of the burden as possible. In addition, agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health, and the Department of Education are hard at work developing data-driven guidance to help people with disabilities and their families mitigate the far-reaching effects of the pandemic.

Today, we honor those with autism and recommit ourselves to providing them and their families with the investment, support, and care they need to live independently, fully participate in their communities, and live fulfilling lives of dignity and opportunity.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim April 2, 2021, as World Autism Awareness Day. I call upon all Americans to learn more about autism to improve early diagnosis, to learn more about the experiences of autistic people from autistic people, and to build more welcoming and inclusive communities to support people with autism.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-fifth.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 11:09 pm

I agree with him for once. That's a very positive speech that he gave.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 3:39 am

Sounds good

- George Bernie Shaw

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 9:37 am

Appears to be a big defeat for the extreme ND natural difference don’t touch autism advocates

Biden reinforces the medical model of autism and more commitment to treatment research and prevention.

Alongside accommodations too which is good.

There was always the danger of allowing a ND Lunatic fringe takeover the narrative, given we have the most woke gov in US history.

Looks like common sense has prevailed. :)

- George Bernie Shaw

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 10:02 am

carlos55 wrote:
Biden reinforces the medical model of autism and more commitment to treatment and researchand prevention.
I don't see anything in the proclamation about preventing autism, nor curing it--for which I am glad. Even within WP opinions appear to differ in those areas. Personally, I am glad I was not "prevented" and I do not want to be cured--some adjustments to society would be nice, though.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 6:51 pm

Double Retired wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Biden reinforces the medical model of autism and more commitment to treatment and researchand prevention.
I don't see anything in the proclamation about preventing autism, nor curing it--for which I am glad. Even within WP opinions appear to differ in those areas. Personally, I am glad I was not "prevented" and I do not want to be cured--some adjustments to society would be nice, though.

Extreme ND advocates reject the medical terminology of autism seeing it as an alternative type of human or natural difference.

They reject biological intervention because why would you treat something that’s natural and not a problem? which is what they view autism as.

They rarely speak of autism from a medical standpoint with the exception of diagnosis and many even reject the requirement of diagnosis.

Quote:
My Administration is committed to funding cutting-edge research to help us to better understand autism and related health conditions in order to improve quality of life for people with autism and their families in every community.

Recent Government initiatives have focused on detecting autism in the first year of life, funding new national research

Generally all medical side of things mentioning research and finding out more about autism which in reality is just another way to describe prevention, treatment and cure.

Looks like from an extreme ND advocacy side of things meet the new boss same as the old boss.

- George Bernie Shaw

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 7:53 pm

You are basing your statements on more than what I see in the proclamation.

You may or may not be correct about the stuff outside the proclamation but I'm not inclined to read between or outside the lines. I have a doctor's note for that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 8:04 pm

Wow - that was impressive. I wish he'd at least given a little insight to what autism is, for people who don't know, but otherwise the speech was a giant step forward for ND communities. I hope other countries take note and follow suit.

Thanks for posting!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 8:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Wow - that was impressive. I wish he'd at least given a little insight to what autism is, for people who don't know, but otherwise the speech was a giant step forward for ND communities. I hope other countries take note and follow suit.

Thanks for posting!

Not here though.
For reasons good, bad and complex. :lol:

Yet I also hope for the same.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2021, 8:37 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Not here though.
For reasons good, bad and complex. :lol:

Same here.

I don't wish for anything in particular when it comes to this though. I can't even begin to think what possible assistance or accommodation I could get or have gotten, other than just plain money. And that ain't happening. And as for widespread acknowledgement, I prefer the idea of being invisible to the idea of being a possible target.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 1:08 am

It is a typical vague political document allowing people to read into it what they want.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 3:28 am

carlos55 wrote:

Extreme ND advocates reject the medical terminology of autism seeing it as an alternative type of human or natural difference.

They reject biological intervention because why would you treat something that’s natural and not a problem? which is what they view autism as.

They rarely speak of autism from a medical standpoint with the exception of diagnosis and many even reject the requirement of diagnosis.

I use a neurodiversity as opposed to pathology model to describe Autism when talking to people in and out of work. This involved avoiding medical terms and references to disability, and value judgements about 'normality'.

I do not view myself as extreme though, and neither do most of my fellow clinicians working within the NHS, families, teachers and other people.

I do use clinical terms for the mental health issues, psychological problems or trauma that are often present in the Autistic people I work with though. Due in no small part to them living in a non Autistic world that often defines them negatively and fails to accept their differences.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community