Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 6:04 pm

firemonkey wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't question mine. I question how I fell through the cracks for so long when I was in blatant need of support. All the anecdotal records of my childhood or from teachers make it quite clear, but no one did anything except send me to speech therapy, or watch me suffer socially and emotionally.

Firemonkey I know it's normal to question, but your diagnosis seems sound based on what I know about your development and your personality. You've found the right fit, in my opinion.

I do the same with my mental illness dx. I have periods of thinking I'm not mentally ill, but just socially dysfunctional.

Same. I lose track of my trauma, depression, and anxiety disorders because I'm so accustomed to them. I can't imagine life feeling any other way, so I forget or I question the diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 6:51 pm

Was dxd late in life only a few years ago.. No reason to question it. Though I dont make a big deal of it (like ask for accommodation for it) either.

Someone on WP, forget who, has a quote in their signature that says "the first step in fighting an invisible monster is to throw a can of paint on it." Very apt description of getting an aspergers diagnosis. You have already fought it all of your life, but For the first time you can see the enemy and put him in your gunsights. No reason to make him invisible again.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 10:12 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I somehow manage to be a “textbook example,” while not fitting most of the stereotypes (except being quiet) :lol:

Technically I suppose I doubt that I have exactly the right diagnosis, but there’s no question that I’m on the autism spectrum (official diagnosis is Asperger’s syndrome, but by the DSM V, I fall firmly in the class of “ASD level 2,” not level 1. My official diagnosis was probably given because I did not have a speech delay, but there’s no question to me that I’m actually in the middle, not at the “mild/high-functioning” end.).
The Asperger's diagnosis was seemingly intended to only include those with the Asperger's profile which usually has no speech. It came to be used to include most ASD-1 kids presumably to avoid the "autism" term which still had pre-spectrum meaning to most people. This over use of Asperger's for social reasons drove the change to ASD. I am not surprised that someone with an Asperger's profile could be ASD-2, from what I've read and seen. By "Asperger's profile", I mean someone with good verbal skills, but maybe poor conversational skills, maybe poor eye contact, maybe poor at reading non-verbal communication.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 11:42 pm

CarlM wrote:
[ I am not surprised that someone with an Asperger's profile could be ASD-2, from what I've read and seen. By "Asperger's profile", I mean someone with good verbal skills, but maybe poor conversational skills, maybe poor eye contact, maybe poor at reading non-verbal communication.

I'm listed on the 'World genius directory' due to my verbal ability. I got a score of 3 for social communication (classical autism level) when assessed. There's a big difference between how I was with hardly any support in Essex, and how things are now with the support I get.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 12:11 am

Like other posters here was only experienced with most severe non verbal autistic persons in real life .
So hadn’t thought to consider myself for many years and was forceably dealt with when I did not mask around other people. So self preservation from violence was a motivator in upbringing. And dealt with as someone of slow intelligence . Even still I believe at times .. Which , have shrugged off. For no other reason than peace of mind , then
Cause I interface okay in public mostly by outward appearances . Caused me to question briefly my diagnosis , then all I have to do is go over the various symptoms list. And see how well it matches most of my daily experiences .
The incidentals in life, are overwhelming to me.
Fire monkeys writing here have often helped me in realizing that a great deal of symptoms are plainly obvious.

where ever you go ,there you are

GreenRanger06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2021, 10:10 pm

Yes. I read all the time about how people on the spectrum have a special gift of being really smart in math, science or something else...and I have nothing I am good at or smart at academically.