Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2021, 4:01 pm

I dont want to call myself a loser but it explains my situation. I dont have any friends. Cant fit in society and i see myself inferior to others. It may sound ashaming but im living with my parents at the age of 23. Im only an online education student. Other than that im a neet. With having social anxiety and depression its hard for me to have a normal life. I might have aspergers syndrome or selective mutism too. I went to therapy for 2-3 months but it didnt seem to work. Sorry for bad english. So what am i going to do? This is getting worse with time

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 4:12 pm

It isn't unusual these days to live at home at 23. Actually the average age of moving out of parents home is 26, but even then it's not unusual to be living with your parents after 26.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 4:20 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
I dont want to call myself a loser but it explains my situation. I dont have any friends. Cant fit in society and i see myself inferior to others. It may sound ashaming but im living with my parents at the age of 23. Im only an online education student. Other than that im a neet. With having social anxiety and depression its hard for me to have a normal life. I might have aspergers syndrome or selective mutism too. I went to therapy for 2-3 months but it didnt seem to work. Sorry for bad english. So what am i going to do? This is getting worse with time

OK calm and try to develop a self esteem. Social anxiety and selective mutism doesn't indicate an Asperger syndrome.
If you see somebody becomes hurt but you don't feel anything but disliking the fact then you may have an an Asperger syndrome. It's no problem to leave your parents after finishing studying. My kids are your age and living with me at my costs too. Just try to look for a job once you have finished studying.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 4:29 pm

Quote:
If you see somebody becomes hurt but you don't feel anything but disliking the fact then you may have an an Asperger syndrome

That is not what Asperger's is.

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2021, 12:28 pm

I dont have a social circle and have very low social skills. How can i even build self esteem in this situation. Society wants me to be alone and left out because im not like them

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 5:45 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
I dont have a social circle and have very low social skills. How can i even build self esteem in this situation. Society wants me to be alone and left out because im not like them

What are your hobbies/interests?

Also, after the pandemic is over with, you may wish to seek out autistic adult support groups in your area.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 5:59 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
I went to therapy for 2-3 months but it didnt seem to work ... So what am i going to do? This is getting worse with time

Stick with therapy for longer than 2-3 months. Did someone misinform you that it changes things radically in that length of time? However, 2-3 months is long enough to give any particular therapist. Find someone new and rededicate yourself to the project. Also remember that change begins with you, not the therapist.

Good luck.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 7:54 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
I might have aspergers syndrome or selective mutism too

You might find the following video helpful:

Are You Undiagnosed Autistic? How To Tell If You're On The Autism Spectrum

If your parents are willing, it would probably be a good idea to seek an official evaluation for ASD as well.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2021, 4:28 pm

Hey, Your Situation Ain't as Bad as You Think . 23 is Young .

i Think when We Categorize Ourselves in any Shape or Form .. it Can Limit Outlook .
Do You Have Hobbies ? .. This is How You Will make Friends . it Might not Be a Social .. More a Common Interest Situation . The More You Have in Common The Easier it is To Build Friendships . Maybe Join a Gym if You Don't Currently .
Living at Home With Parents Can Be a Gift & a Curse . Look at The Positives . For 1, it Allows You A Safety Net .. Food, Secure Place .. Interaction . Imagine How These Factors Could Be Compromised if You Had To Figure it Out on Your Own at This Current Moment . Less / Maybe No Rent & Bills To Chase . Which Means You Have More Freedom To Persue Jobs & Hobbies You Like With Minimised Compromise .
There Are Plenty of People Struggling Rent , Food , Loneliness .. Poor Housing .. Difficult Neighbours etc .

Make The Most of Your Situation . You Have Acknowledged Issues at a Young Age . im 34 and still All My Issues are Only Just Being Addressed . The Key is To Place No Judgement on Yourself . After All , There Are Plenty That Would Love To Be You (No Doubt) . You Are Alive . Embrace Your Existance 8)