Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TomBarclay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2021, 10:36 pm

I recently started sessions with a therapist. He, within the hour he had a good feeling that I'm high functioning autistic person. He gave me homework, to look up Asperger's. Even though it's all grouped together now I pretty much nailed it - or - should I say "it nailed me". I will this week ask him if I can get a diagnoses of it. I am not sure what good it will do for me at my age. When I was diagnosed with dyslexia 2 years ago it helped my self confidence and perhaps this can do the same. I am also ADHD. I so wish I would had gotten help 40 years ago.

sorry for rambling on.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 11:13 am

Age can pose problems but you will find a number of folk on WP who got a diagnosis later in life.

I did not have any suspicion that I might be Autistic until I was 64, and I'd never even heard of the Autism Spectrum. I got my diagnosis shortly before my 65th birthday.

Whoever does your assessment might want information about your earlier years. I had a lot of records for the Psychologist to use, my bride met with the Psychologist, as well, and my Dad is still alive and we got a little bit of information from him. (I don't know which specific records interested my Psychologist, but she did mention reviewing the journal my long-deceased Mom had made of my first year of life.)

I sort of enjoyed the assessment process. It was kind of fun. But parts of the assessment process were obviously designed for young patients--those parts of the process were funny!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 11:29 am

Hello. Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 11:31 am

Hi and a warm welcome to you, Tom :).

Having autism does not destroy potential; it only alters its course. It changes how things must be accomplished. It creates a fascinating, complex individual who stands out and is remembered, even for little things. Instead of trying to push a “normal” life upon a person with Autism, the goal should be re-evaluated. Those who are autistic will always be autistic. They will have unusual behaviors and distinctly different thought patterns. They will have their personal routines and rituals. They will always exist apart from the regular flow of life. This is a blessing and a type of freedom.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 5:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

TomBarclay

05 Apr 2021, 8:44 pm

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome. I for most of my life have looked for someplace that I fit in, and that quest has always come up short. I for the longest time (until last week) tried to figure out why folks did seem to like me. Perhaps this is the answer for me. I do feel a sense that I can fit in here. Again that you'll for such a nice welcoming.

Cat-q=111

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 4:00 am

Welcome.

I wasn't diagnosed aspergers until my 40s. It might have helped for you to know earlier in life, but if you end up with a formal diagnosis at least it might help you understand yourself now and why you struggled with certain things in the past. That may inform how you want to live in the future