the way things are said & what the brain might do with them

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 10:40 pm

I just wondered something.
But am not expecting to get a government grant to do a study.
What things can happen with the ways things are said & what the brain might do with them?

For instance, the uh, "much loved" expression, "person with autism" ...

What is the possibility of the human brain going, either consciously or subconsciously, ...

"Hmm, 'autism' ... well, racism, sexism, ageism, terrorism, are bad things and need to be gotten rid of,
and autism is also an ism,
therefore autism is a bad thing and needs to be gotten rid of"

I have to wonder.
I really have to wonder.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 1:15 am

Autism is not optional & incurable unless your referring to the name itself.

The name probably will eventually go when technology understands more and divides autism up into their separate conditions.

I don’t see them seeing autism as an ism like racism for example

- George Bernie Shaw

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 3:05 am

But there are plenty of good -isms...

Culturalism, philanthropism, Buddhism, humanitarianism, optimism, positivism, altruism, collectivism, humanism, romanticism, egalitarianism, eroticism, etc...

I've known far too many interesting people to say for certain that nobody has used that logic to come to that, or a similar, conclusion. But I don't find it likely that it happens often, nor often enough that it would lead to anything meaningful.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 1:51 pm

"autism" is no more likely to be taken to be an ideology than is "rheumatism", or "somnambulism".

And ideologies and creeds can be either positive or negative depending upon the beliefs of the individual. Catholicism, theism, atheism, Republicanism, Liberalism, Conservatism, environmentalism, capitalism, and antidisestablismentarianism, etc etc.. are each strongly positive to some, and strongly negative to others.