Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Hell no, I will not #CelebrateDifferences this April
April 3, 2021
A mom rages at the idea of Autism Acceptance Month: “It is REJECTION of people like my son”!
unsplash-image-1uVCTVSn-2o.jpg
By Juana C

I keep receiving these emails…. April is no longer autism awareness month but now the month to #CelebrateDifferences!

What have these people been smoking? Do they know anything about autism? Have they met autistic people like my son? If they did they definitely would not celebrate autism. Not for a second. They would hate autism. HATE IT. They would do anything to make it go away.

For my son, autism is hitting himself hundreds of times each day.

For my son, autism is not being able to talk, or communicate, only moan, scream and grunt.

For my son, autism is not being able to go anywhere, being stuck at home all day, because it takes three people to safely take him out and I don’t have that sort of help.

For my son, autism is living in pain, agony, isolation and poverty, forever.

It is not a #Difference. It is #PureHell.

For my son, autism is siblings who love him but who will not and cannot care for him when I die.

For my son, autism is seizures and pain, and trips to the ER (where they don’t know what to do with him), and calls to 911 (and they don’t know what to do with him either).

For my son, autism has ruined every moment of his life.

#CelebrateDifferences is NOT ACCEPTANCE! It is the opposite! It is REJECTION!! It is rejection of people like my son and his horrible fate!

I hate Autism Acceptance day — I will never accept what happened to my son. Never, never, ever.

Juana C is the pseudonym of a mother of a young man with severe autism. She lives in California.

Disclaimer: Blogposts on the NCSA blog represent the opinions of the individual authors and not necessarily the views or positions of the NCSA or its board of directors.

https://www.ncsautism.org/blog//hell-no ... ifferences

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 6:21 pm

Huh... I thought celebrating autism isn't about the parents or families? Or their sentiments? :o
But simply about autistics themselves.

Then get their own -- likely some form mourning or grudge day or something that resonates parents who speaks for their kids. :shrug: Or anyone who just hate autism.

Even if that's not the point, wouldn't that at least show their collective voice even for just a day?
Without judgment, hopefully a truce of sorts? That would be a headache in moderators.

Where autism is about them and hardships and seeing the disability for a burden.
Whatever truths they own.

Since no one seem to had a right to stop shifting the day of awareness into acceptance -- I don't see what stops anyone from creating what isn't.

Because I always, always thought awareness is a double edged sword -- not a one sided one.

It'll be an interesting experiment and see what kind of company will be drawn by such event. :lol:

Would it be as helpful or even more useful than celebrations as any reciprocated cry for help and exchange of sympathy...?
Or be ruined by enabling questionable beliefs and attacks from ableists...?

Otherwise, any day, even my birthday, is just another day. :lol:
At the end of the day, where it's relevant there but not relevant here.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 1:58 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Huh... I thought celebrating autism isn't about the parents or families? Or their sentiments? :o
But simply about autistics themselves.

Then get their own -- likely some form mourning or grudge day or something that resonates parents who speaks for their kids. :shrug: Or anyone who just hate autism.

Even if that's not the point, wouldn't that at least show their collective voice even for just a day?
Without judgment, hopefully a truce of sorts? That would be a headache in moderators.

Where autism is about them and hardships and seeing the disability for a burden.
Whatever truths they own.

Since no one seem to had a right to stop shifting the day of awareness into acceptance -- I don't see what stops anyone from creating what isn't.

Because I always, always thought awareness is a double edged sword -- not a one sided one.

It'll be an interesting experiment and see what kind of company will be drawn by such event. :lol:

Would it be as helpful or even more useful than celebrations as any reciprocated cry for help and exchange of sympathy...?
Or be ruined by enabling questionable beliefs and attacks from ableists...?

Otherwise, any day, even my birthday, is just another day. :lol:
At the end of the day, where it's relevant there but not relevant here.

I suppose what the author is getting at is the difference between awareness, acceptance then celebrate.

For those with severe symptoms and those that look after them the word celebrate is offensive and absurd.

Everyone is entitled to do what they want but I suppose to people like her when they push this out there and try to encourage celebration on an official level it pushes the boundaries to offensive.

It brings to mind an old British gangster movie I watched once where some henchmen beat some guy up and cut off his finger, then forced him to say “thank you” before he left.

I guess to some it seems kind of sadistic like people are denying their pain via a kind of cancel culture and rubbing salt into a wound.

- George Bernie Shaw