Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lark265
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2021, 12:26 am

Hi....I interacted with the group a few years ago and now back. For some reason I am still not able to internalize that I have Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 (I was diagnosed by Kaiser last year). I have the symptoms of wanting to be alone and general dislike and misunderstanding of social engagement. Is it social phobia? Introversion? I
i just don't FEEL like I am really on the spectrum. I don't know, I am in my 60's now and perhaps I have developed strong adaptive skills over the years. I sure wish there was a blood test or something to confirm I have ASD because this continuous obsessing over it is painful........

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 1:28 am

welcome back to Wrong Planet.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 3:50 am

Welcome back

A general dislike of social engagement could be either attributed to social anxiety or introversion, but misunderstanding the social world sounds more like autism. Its one thing to have someone else diagnose you, but another thing to acknowledge and accept that description for yourself.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 9:47 am

Welcome back to WP! I think you will find some nice folk here, and I hope decide to visit more often.

I got my ASD-1 diagnosis in 2019, shortly before my 65th birthday. I had never even heard of the Autism Spectrum before 2019 and certainly did not think I was "Autistic".

Yet, here I am.

I started reading about Autism in 2019 after I got a clue that maybe, just possibly, as unlikely as it seemed, as a child I might have had some traits that were Autistic. But the more I read the more it fit. I discovered that even as an adult I had Autistic traits. My bride had been investigating, too, and she agreed that I matched the profile. Eventually I hired a Psychologist to do a formal assessment and got confirmation.

Some of the traits I previously (and still) associate with being a strong INTJ.

When I first concluded that I was probably a High Functioning Autistic I thought "Gee! I think I've done reasonably well despite the Autism. I wonder if there are any famous Autistics." Sigh. I did some Internet searches to see if there were and my ego took a beating. It took me some time to realize those folk were more accomplished than just about everyone who is alive or has ever been alive--Autistic, or not. Granted those lists are of suspected Auties, but surely many of those folk really are Auties, and I feel honored to share a syndrome with them.

Yeah. It's still a bit of a surprise that I'm Autistic. But, I am and I now realize "Autism" is more complicated than I thought.

But it was really nice to get a much better understanding of my past.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 10:20 am

Welcome back to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 2:20 am

Welcome back to Wrong Planet! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues coming to terms with your ASD. A lot of people here have dealt with that though, which is good in the sense that if you need support there will always be someone who could sympathize with you and offer advice.

I hope you find that being here is helpful for dealing with your diagnosis.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:24 am

Welcome back.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 5:56 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet! :D