What were your accommodations in school?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rawto
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2021, 12:04 pm

I'm at the age where stuff like 504 and IEP programs are most important. I'm qualified to ask for one since I've been diagnosed with ASD(Lvl. I) & mild anxiety. What should I know when thinking of ideas that can help me in school? When is a request considered unrealistic? What were yours & do you think they ended up helping you in the long run?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 12:11 pm

Is it safe to assume that you want replies only from those who either ARE in school or who recently graduated?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 12:17 pm

Untimed testing is always good.

Do you sit in on your IEP meetings?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 1:30 pm

A quiet space for exams, where you can time out and take a break and then time back in.
Sensory accommodations for that exam room ^ (non-fluorescent lighting, comfy chair, sit on the floor, etc).
Extra time for exams.
Extra time for papers.
Advance notice of deadlines and topics for papers.
A scribe / notetaker to take notes for you if you have auditory processing challenges.
Ability to wear sunglasses / Irlen lenses / coloured lenses in class (some teachers find it rude).
Ability to communicate with assistive devices as needed.
Service animals.
Exemption from oral presentations or group work activities.
Teachers can reduce the number of learning goals for you, and modify lessons / assignments to your learning style.

Check what your ASD assessment lists for academic and social supports, or consult with the diagnostician for ideas. They should provide you with a summary of recommendations in your report.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 06 Apr 2021, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 1:35 pm

None. Wrong generation.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 1:37 pm

:P

Same. I had no accommodations either, but I know these exist now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 1:38 pm

They "accommodated" me by throwing me out of class, and sending me either to the Guidance Counselor's or Principal's office.

Seriously-----Isabella presented an excellent list of potential accommodations for you. Take advantage of them when you find them useful.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 2:02 pm

I was able to demand an IEP as an adult who should have already graduated. Up until that point nothing at all.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Rawto
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2021, 3:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
Is it safe to assume that you want replies only from those who either ARE in school or who recently graduated?

Doesn't really matter.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 3:38 pm

One of the things that I found feel would have been useful during exams, is for the option to ask for the teacher present to give clarification with regards to the meaning of any questions when the questions have an aspect to them that is left ambiguous.

As you likely know, people with ASD do not like ambiguity.

When it is not possible for the ASD student to ask for clarification as to the exact meaning of the question,
it is common for the ASD student then to be forced to interpret the meaning themselves, which endangers
them into making a misinterpretation of the meaning, and if so, possibly failing the question / exam.

When I was at Uni, I had such a problem with one of the exams which i did, which was the only written exam paper under exam conditions. I believe I failed (the only exam I did fail) because i misunderstood what was asked of me.

TomBarclay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2021, 10:08 pm

I was in elementary school in the mid 1960's. The first day of my "2nd third grade", I received a large cardboard box (open on one side) where my desk was placed into, that is where I stayed that year. School never got much better after that.

Cat-q=111

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 10:15 pm

:( :( :(

Sorry to hear that, TomBarclay.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 10:36 pm

Depending which school.

The best accommodation I had was in my latter years in highschool. To be simply left alone.

Nothing about academics, sensory-environmental, behavioral or anything too complicated.
Because I did everything fine except being involved with other people.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 5:58 am

none. diagnosed at 37. Was considered at school to be somewhat disruptive and badly behaved and so was dealt with as such

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 8:52 am

Rawto wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Doesn't really matter.
Okay then ... I went to school in the Midwest from 1962 to 1975.  The only possible diagnoses were "Good Student", "Lazy", "Punk", and "ret*d".  The only accommodations made for each of these were:

• Good Students made all the teams, went to all the parties, sat on the Student Council, never lacked for dates, were loved by all the teachers, and did their best to ignore the rest of us.

• If you were deemed "Lazy", you were beaten, blamed, and shamed until you performed better.  Some of us never really performed to the best of our abilities until after we had graduated high school.

• If you were a "Punk", you were mostly ignored and allowed to skip school, flout the law, and bully weaker kids until a judge eventually sentenced you to a juvenile detention facility (a.k.a., "Juvie Hall").

• If you were a "ret*d" (their word, not mine), you were put inside a special classroom and taught by "Special Ed" teachers who were either starry-eyed idealists fresh from university or people with too much tenure to dismiss and too few "people skills" to teach mainstream students.

In simple terms, the accommodations ranged from "crude" to "non-existent".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 6:56 pm

I am the same age as Fnord and there were no accommodations.

After 2nd grade, my elementary school told my parents we can't do anything about him, homeschool him, or find a private school. They could legally do that in 1965. For third and fourth grades a private school was willing to take me and the small classes helped and by 5th grade, the public schools took me back where I stayed through college graduation.

I am convinced I was spared the common solution of that era of institutionalization because my parents were teachers.

As for the adult educators, "he does not live up to expectations" because he is "painfully shy". To my school peers, I was a "fa***t", "homo", "queer", and a "wuss" because anybody who was different was considered a homosexual which made you a target. And then there was "k*e".

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman