What were your accommodations in school?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2021, 8:43 pm

Extra test time, extensions on projects, and extra help with my work.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 4:18 am

I was sent from grade 2 directly to grade 4, and began high school at age 12. I was mostly ignored, but I did get a tutor for grammar, which didn't help much. I flunked out, with a general knowledge level above college grad averages. Books work. I don't know what schools are for besides babysitting.

Nosho
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2021, 11:05 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Nosho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TomBarclay wrote:
How do you deal with the anger and resentment that stems from being mistreated by the educational system back then? I become very upset when I think back on how poorly I was treated.

Substance abuse.

Medication***

Semantics can eat a chode. I've had this argument with my counselor at the methadone clinic already. It's not considered abuse if it increases your quality of life, and you have the ability to quit using it should it be putting your life in danger. Addiction is a choice, not a disease.

Drug war propaganda can go die in a hole.

It's like the difference between someone with a good job, family, plenty of money, and a brain that produces the right amount of dopamine for its receptors using heroin to nod out every night, constantly winding up in the back of ambulances, compared to me, who has to use opioids just to be able to keep his limbs still and achieve REM sleep.

I told my counselor if I hear the term "substance use/abuse disorder" one more time, I'm going to hit whatever mouth I hear it come out of..

Don't project the nature of your usage on to me or other people pl0x.

You're welcome to not like to have the term substance abuse used to refer to your consumption but I understand that there's been periods where my usage was quite intentionally self-destructive.

Onset of pre-suicidal ideation? Yeah I've tried to kill myself with my meds before.. I did a lot of pussyfooting with euphoria chasing to try and make it a pleasant kaput.. That was the one time I abused them. Big mistake. They almost took them away, then I would have been perma-suicidal.

Also worthy to note, ASD is comorbid with a lot of other issues that people with ASD commonly do suffer from, ADHD, Tourette's, sometimes Parksonson's later on in life.

Dopamine dysregulation/lack of dopamine can be one of the precursors to later issues with movement disorders Tourette's and other impulse control issues, "SUBSTANCE ABUSE" being one of the outcomes they throw on the books..

If that term bled, I'd cut it down. Likely these people only ever "abuse substances" because they're not being helped correctly. This is why I am prescribed scheduled drugs. I was lucky enough to get a brainscan, but only because I was "violent."

You may say I'm projecting my usage on to you, but you just dropped a very sensitive term in to a pool of people who likely have a legit medical need for "substances." They don't want to think of themselves as abusers any more than I do.. Do you know how long I had to fight terms like "junkie" and "criminal" before I got help?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 11:25 am

TomBarclay wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rawto wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Is it safe to assume that you want replies only from those who either ARE in school or who recently graduated?
Doesn't really matter.
Okay then ... I went to school in the Midwest from 1962 to 1975.  The only possible diagnoses were "Good Student", "Lazy", "Punk", and "ret*d".  The only accommodations made for each of these were:

• Good Students made all the teams, went to all the parties, sat on the Student Council, never lacked for dates, were loved by all the teachers, and did their best to ignore the rest of us.

• If you were deemed "Lazy", you were beaten, blamed, and shamed until you performed better.  Some of us never really performed to the best of our abilities until after we had graduated high school.

• If you were a "Punk", you were mostly ignored and allowed to skip school, flout the law, and bully weaker kids until a judge eventually sentenced you to a juvenile detention facility (a.k.a., "Juvie Hall").

• If you were a "ret*d" (their word, not mine), you were put inside a special classroom and taught by "Special Ed" teachers who were either starry-eyed idealists fresh from university or people with too much tenure to dismiss and too few "people skills" to teach mainstream students.

In simple terms, the accommodations ranged from "crude" to "non-existent".
How do you deal with the anger and resentment that stems from being mistreated by the educational system back then? I become very upset when I think back on how poorly I was treated.
I moved away from that school district and avoided class reunions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nosho
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2021, 11:36 am

Fnord wrote:
TomBarclay wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rawto wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Is it safe to assume that you want replies only from those who either ARE in school or who recently graduated?
Doesn't really matter.
Okay then ... I went to school in the Midwest from 1962 to 1975.  The only possible diagnoses were "Good Student", "Lazy", "Punk", and "ret*d".  The only accommodations made for each of these were:

• Good Students made all the teams, went to all the parties, sat on the Student Council, never lacked for dates, were loved by all the teachers, and did their best to ignore the rest of us.

• If you were deemed "Lazy", you were beaten, blamed, and shamed until you performed better.  Some of us never really performed to the best of our abilities until after we had graduated high school.

• If you were a "Punk", you were mostly ignored and allowed to skip school, flout the law, and bully weaker kids until a judge eventually sentenced you to a juvenile detention facility (a.k.a., "Juvie Hall").

• If you were a "ret*d" (their word, not mine), you were put inside a special classroom and taught by "Special Ed" teachers who were either starry-eyed idealists fresh from university or people with too much tenure to dismiss and too few "people skills" to teach mainstream students.

In simple terms, the accommodations ranged from "crude" to "non-existent".
I moved away from that school district and avoided class reunions.

Ding ding ding! That's what I did. Geographic cures aren't the answer, but they sure do help huh?

I was a punk/ret*d so I got a mix of the last two. You'd be surprised to know that these methods are still in use in a lot of places in the country, even now in 2021. The midwest is still notoriously like that. During my freight hopping 20's, I met and traveled with a lot of mentally troubled midwestern run-aways, going through and down from Buffalo NY and through Ohio, south.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 6:21 am

Nothing. School was pretty normal for me. I wasn't diagnosed until 39.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2021, 9:36 am

My accommodations consisted of two options: sink, or swim. I actually did well in school up until high school, when we started switching classes every period, A days and B days, etc.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 12:05 am

I had no accommodations since I grew up in the sticks where autism was poorly understood. I could pass as "awkward but functioning" up until 3rd year uni, when things fell apart and I developed a schizophrenic illness. I finished with a degree, after all, but rejected all offers of accommodations due to living in denial. I dunno if this kind of "perservere on your own"-attitude came with any positives, but at least I can hold a job with no particular issues, other than boredom.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:34 am

As best as I can remember looking back at my school years from late 1960s to end of 1970s, autism wasn't 'a thing'.
The Navy transferred Dad almost every other year so I was usually new in a school on or near a Navy base where almost every other student had recently arrived or would soon leave.
Accommodations - that was what you got at the base housing office.

I ended up in remedial speech at one school, advanced placement at another, and with nothing at most.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 12:00 pm

During religious studies, I was among a half-dozen kids in grades 6-8 who got to leave for an unsupervised period. Most were non-believers, and I think the Jehovah's Witness was scared of us.
I was sent for tutoring in English Grammar, and I still can't name and define the parts of speech.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 7:05 pm

Well, to be brutally honest, I didn't get the accommodations ; which, I really needed from Elementary all the way through High School due, to fact; Aspergers, didn't exist at the time at least, it wasn't on the DSM just yet.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 4:39 am

Extra time on tests and exams would have been good, as I could never finish on time.

And being provided clarification on the meaning of assignment instructions and the expected deliverables, because even through university I would misunderstand exactly what they were wanting from me. Don't know why, I'd just go off on the wrong track sometimes, and was too shy to ask for help.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 7:57 am

I was given extra time for exams from about age 14 to 19, but in college I had a professor who would make me feel bad about it. I had the highest grade in the class, and he said it "didn't seem fair". When I found out that taking the GRE with accommodations meant that it would be reported as such to the grad schools I applied to... I decided to see how I did without it. I didn't want that to be the first thing they would know about me. In the short term I didn't do very well on a bunch of exams. In the long-term I was able to build a series of strategies that helped me to let go of questions I didn't understand and not obsess over them.

All-in-all kind of a lot of ignorance from other people around me about it, but I got through by learning to adjust to other people's vapid judgements. On the bright side, I got some skill-building out of it.

GreenRanger06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2021, 6:01 pm

When I was in high school, 15 years ago, I sat at the front in every class so that I could clearly see and hear anything the teacher was doing. I chose a seat at the front on my own though, no one really had to do anything.