Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Apr 2021, 2:35 pm

Hello kinship, this is a sharing of my work problem.

I currently work as a data engineer (IT job) and have had some months of experience in it. My experience with it has been filled with very frequent failed attempts and mistakes while doing my tasks. The main problem is that I don't usually don't get the "point" when doing new computer things, so I am frequently asking too few questions or asking too much questions, or asking about some minor irrelevant things and not about the main point. All of these isn't because of shyness or lack of abstract intelligence (I am actually good with logical and algorithmic problems), but because of a complete miss of the "point" of activities. I feel I can't perceive why do we do certain things or why do we use certain programs, missing therefore what is the main problem with the code or what are the big steps in the tasks, instead I feel lost. All of this has hindered my possibilities of being successful at this job. I am somehow worried about my professional future, I don't know how much time will I survive in this job, I fear being sacked, I am also worried about how would be my performance in other fields. If you have had a similar problem, be it working in IT or in other fields, I would be glad to listen some recommendations. Or if you work in IT and have been successful I would appreciate your answer.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:02 am

Just ask about the purpose whenever you are learning a new task. Make that your first question, and the answer should help you figure out any other relevant questions you need to ask.