N.C. bill would ban treatment for trans people under 21

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:10 am

That's disgusting. Why would they force people to go through puberty, and live 21 years in the 'wrong' body? Are they willing to be held accountable for the mental health challenges, suicides, and harassment this will cause?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:25 am

People expressing opinions on transgenderism when they are not transgendered themselves makes about as much sense as men expressing opinions on women's reproductive rights.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:34 am

auntblabby wrote:
i see a similar mentality there as there is in large rural swaths of the middle-east - a fundamentalist philosophy that is quite brutal and lacking in nuance, quite hostile to the mere idea that anybody else could possibly know any better way to think and live and relate.

That’s another thing. The right whines and rants about “radical Islamists” while simultaneously emulating them.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IrreversibleMistakes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2021, 11:40 am

I had desires to be woman when I was 12-14. It was related to my ASD.

I'm glad I didn't transition, still, I could have tolerated cross-dressing from me. Cuter clothes and hairstyles. And maybe different colored jeans and cute clothes and makeup. I don't understand it, but my brain was demanding me to present as a woman.

I know U don't like showing up our story, but pleae,see the scheule.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:05 pm

My afab cousin just had reassignment surgery in January at the age of 30. He went through hell his entire life being misunderstood, mistreated, and misgendered. It was a very long process to be approved and to make the final arrangements during Covid. I wish he had been able to start hormone therapy and transition at a much, much younger age.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2021, 12:12 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The Arkansas legislature overrode Hutchinson's veto.

AR and NC are basically the Fourth Reich now.

In countries like Sweden, saying homosexuality is a sin is considered prosecutable hate speech, and are moving forward.

The southern U.S. is going back to the dark ages.

Yeah, my state of AR has really sh_t the bed.

Arkansas is particularly egregious because they made it so that if your health insurance covers trans healthcare, it isn't tax deductible. That will basically kill all trans healthcare in the state, regardless of how old someone is.

There's no justification for any of this rubbish. Trans teenagers should have access to puberty blockers. Once they reach the age of consent, they should be able to access gender-affirming hormones if they and their doctors determine it is right for them. These bills go way beyond anything reasonable.

I'm pretty sure that if these bills went to the Supreme Court, Roberts and Gorsuch would find them unconstitutional and strike them down with Breyer, Kagan and Sotomayor. I suspect Kavanaugh may respect the precedent they set last year and join them.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:25 pm

I've known I wanted to be male since I was 3 or so, and "came out" at 14. I've also known quite a few trans people my age and older, who have known they want to be a girl/boy/whatever for most of their life and have presented as so for a long time. None of them have been able to start just HRT yet, even as adults. I haven't either.

It's not as easy to get as cis people seem to think. HRT and reassignment surgery are very expensive and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get those things, including going to therapy, presenting as the gender you identify as in all aspects of your life for years, and often having multiple professionals sign off on you needing it. Children and adolescents aren't getting a surgery or easily obtaining hormone therapy that even adults almost twice my age are struggling to get.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:30 pm

@Hero,
What do you think would be a reasonable solution? What age / safeguards do you think should be legislated?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
@Hero,
What do you think would be a reasonable solution? What age / safeguards do you think should be legislated?

I think once you turn 18, have been presenting as your gender for a few years, and have expressed that you understand all the risks and irreversible changes that can happen (which is pretty much what doctors in most "liberal" states already have you do) that you should be able to start HRT and later get surgery. At 18 you are legally an adult and can consent to getting hysterectomies, vasectomies, and breast augmentations, so greatly restricting HRT and reassignment surgeries makes no sense to me. Maybe adolescents 16-18 could start HRT if they have spent quite awhile presenting as their preferred gender and meet the same criteria of expressing an understanding of all the risks.

I'm not a doctor, but I have noticed that the restrictions they set for these things are becoming less stringent, which is not because they don't care about trans people "mutilating their bodies", it's because they're working with more trans people and now have the experience to tell when someone is "serious" about and "ready" to transition. I think all the restrictions lawmakers are trying to add are completely unneeded and are based on the idea that doctors and trans people have no idea what they're doing and "don't care", which isn't true.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:03 pm

Thanks. All good points. You mentioned that the process is very expensive in America. Is HRT / counselling / surgery covered on Medicaid or Medicare? (I don't know what either program is, and don't know the difference between them, but I've heard of them). What about health and medical insurance programs through parents' work? My thought is that when the child turns 18 they are usually excluded from their parents' medical benefits and then these methods of treatment become cost-prohibitive. Catch 22, because by 21 the people who are finally old enough to seek treatment won't have insurance. Even at 21 most individuals don't have a full time job with medical benefits and enough sick leave for all of the appointments, not to mention major surgery.

My cousin didn't have to pay anything apart from travel costs around the country. I feel for Americans.

I watched "I Am Jazz" with Jazz Jennings' journey, and it seemed that the procedures were only available through her father's work insurance, and only if Jazz remained a full-time student. I think that's why she was doing home-school at the end of the series.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:07 pm

In many cases, a child who is under a parent's health insurance plan stays under the parent's plans until he/she reaches age 26, and is not under a plan of his/her own.

Medicaid is primarily for people who are very low income. Most people who are on some kind of "disability" get Medicaid.

Medicare is primarily for people who are 65 years of age or older.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thanks. All good points. You mentioned that the process is very expensive in America. Is HRT / counselling / surgery covered on Medicaid or Medicare? (I don't know what either program is, and don't know the difference between them, but I've heard of them). What about health and medical insurance programs through parents' work? My thought is that when the child turns 18 they are usually excluded from their parents' medical benefits and then these methods of treatment become cost-prohibitive. Catch 22, because by 21 the people who are finally old enough to seek treatment won't have insurance. Even at 21 most individuals don't have a full time job with medical benefits and enough sick leave for all of the appointments, not to mention major surgery.

My cousin didn't have to pay anything apart from travel costs around the country. I feel for Americans.

I watched "I Am Jazz" with Jazz Jennings' journey, and it seemed that the procedures were only available through her father's work insurance, and only if Jazz remained a full-time student. I think that's why she was doing home-school at the end of the series.

Like Kraftie said, you can stay on your parents insurance until 26. I have Medicaid because we have no income, and it actually covers HRT which I was surprised about, but I live in Washington which is a "liberal" state and Medicaid differs by each state. It also requires you to go to therapy and get those confirmation letters to obtain it, which is honestly fine IMO as long as they cover the therapy, which I think they do.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:13 pm

It's always fun listening to people whine and bleat about how "kids aren't old enough to make life changing decisions", but don't even bat an eye at the fact that you can join the military at 16, can get married at 14, and be prescribed opium at 11...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:16 pm

I hope Medicaid covers it. A person shouldn't be denied their rightful gender based on their income, or that of their parents. That seems Draconian.

My daughter was cut off my benefits at age 18 if she wasn't a student. She could have continued to be covered while going to school until she was 21. By then she was finished school and they tried to terminate her. It was a lengthy process but I managed to get her back on my plan as an overaged, disabled dependent because of her medical disabilities. Her status is reviewed every two years, and she was already reapproved once. Although, those benefits have nothing to do with medical doctors. Doctors are always free. This is more for psychology, and physiotherapy, etc.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:20 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Like Kraftie said, you can stay on your parents insurance until 26. I have Medicaid because we have no income, and it actually covers HRT which I was surprised about, but I live in Washington which is a "liberal" state and Medicaid differs by each state. It also requires you to go to therapy and get those confirmation letters to obtain it, which is honestly fine IMO as long as they cover the therapy, which I think they do.

That's good to know.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 2:56 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
There is nothing controversial about this bill. After a person is 21 they can have any treatment they want, but an age limit needs to be set. A child can't make life altering decisions such as this.

So, a nanny state is necessary to protect people from themselves?

Would you allow a 12 year old to get irreversible surgery or hormone therapy that would leave them scared for life? If an adult wants to fine. Children aren't able to make such decisions for themselves.

Can you show us any sources saying that children getting surgery and hormone replacement therapy is actually a common occurrence? I have never been shown any cases of this actually happening.

Minors aren't even allowed to have reassignment surgery until they hit 18, and I rarely hear of anyone getting hormone replacement therapy before the ages of 16-18. Even then, going on hormone therapy at 16 seems to be reserved for adolescents that have gone through extensive therapy for years and have presented as the gender they identify as for years.

Why have age limits on anything then. Alcohol, drugs, marriage, gun ownership, ect? These all come with serious life altering consequences.