A fact on the internet that has never changed.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 2:19 am

Online mixed gender groups are always sausage fests (not only autism groups), forums, facebook groups, chatrooms, whatsapp groups, even Meetup groups, you name it (except the women-only groups obviously), any online community/group you imagine, of any culture, or of any purpose whether NT or auties, even these semi-online/semi-real groups.... are always a sausage fest.
By sausage fest I mean at least 70% to 80% of their members are males, both single and taken males but the single females in them are often as rare as pandas.

This had been consistent since the birth of the internet.

For example there's another member who's hoping for speed dating, I bet with all my fortune that it will be a huge sausage fest too.

Isn't that fascinatingly weird?

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 11:32 am

As a former meet-up host/organizer, I had to deal with some complaints, and usually about the same people for making some women feel uncomfortable. You have no idea the number of men that thought appropriate to message women from meet-up on other dating sites and Facebook.

In turn I also advised everyone to de-link their Facebook profiles from their meet-up accounts.

So I would have to assume the sausage fest has something to do with men's inability to make some women feel more comfortable in a social setting.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 1:28 pm

aspiemike wrote:
As a former meet-up host/organizer, I had to deal with some complaints, and usually about the same people for making some women feel uncomfortable. You have no idea the number of men that thought appropriate to message women from meet-up on other dating sites and Facebook.

In turn I also advised everyone to de-link their Facebook profiles from their meet-up accounts.

So I would have to assume the sausage fest has something to do with men's inability to make some women feel more comfortable in a social setting.

It can be very well a major reason; but I don't think it's only that.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 1:31 pm

What I wanna tell to everyone here, that ANY online group or any group of strangers formed via internet will always be a sausage fest (men way outnumber women), this is a rule of thumb to accept.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Apr 2021, 1:35 pm

Inappropriate PMs are not Yeti, I've received a few myself and I've dealt with them as a moderator, too.
A woman needs a thick skin and well-trained assertiveness to survive in many places on the Internet, despite all our efforts to make such places friendly.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 3:42 pm

Men tend to run women off with inappropriate messages. Heck, I even have PMs turned off on Reddit to avoid abuse.

Not surprising that women don't want to subject themselves to that.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:04 pm

To be fair, women today are encouraged to treat the internet as a window shopping service put fourth in order to make sure guys are treated as a brainless material commodity. Flipping sexism is still just more damn sexism.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2021, 5:17 pm

On apps where you meet people in real life, this is true. Because of sexual harassment and risks to safety, a portion of women are less inclined to use these services.

But on other websites, the gender ratio is more even. On social media, women outnumber men by 7-8%. There are plenty of women on snapchat, instagram, tiktok, etc.

Your interests are also a factor. If you go on sites or groups for male-dominated interests, you won't see a lot of women. But there are interests that are gender neutral or more populated by women.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:23 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:
On apps where you meet people in real life, this is true. Because of sexual harassment and risks to safety, a portion of women are less inclined to use these services.

But on other websites, the gender ratio is more even. On social media, women outnumber men by 7-8%. There are plenty of women on snapchat, instagram, tiktok, etc.

Your interests are also a factor. If you go on sites or groups for male-dominated interests, you won't see a lot of women. But there are interests that are gender neutral or more populated by women.

What’s the gender ratio for fans of shows like the Simpsons and South Park?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 8:27 pm

You clearly haven't hung out in many "Bachelor Nation" TV show fan groups, which are about 90% female. Just saying.

I can list more, but I have to confess that most of my groups are restricted to women only. I've never put energy into thinking about why. It's just kind of happened seemingly organically.

It may be less an internet phenomenon than a "groups you are willing to join" and a "groups you are invited to join" one.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:08 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

For example there's another member who's hoping for speed dating, I bet with all my fortune that it will be a huge sausage fest too.

Isn't that fascinatingly weird?

That is probably true, more men will likely sign up. HOWEVER, there is one way that I thought of to be able to attract more women into the speed dating event, and this is a method that bars and nightclubs use as well.

Give women an incentive to come to these speed dating events. One way is to make it FREE for women to participate while men have to pay. By making it free for women, more women will come to the event. And if more women are coming to the event, this means more men will show up as well, which means more money for whoever is hosting it. It's a win-win situation.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:01 pm

I'm in a few support groups for things like Sjogren's Syndrome and Long-Haul COVID, and they're all about 80% female, which matches statistics for auto-immune issues in general.

They're probably not good places to meet girls for dating, though =)

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2021, 10:27 pm

Muse933277 wrote:
By making it free for women, more women will come to the event.

When people invest money into something, they take it more seriously. They really want to find a partner and they're because they genuinely want to be there. If it's free, it'll attract people who don't take it that seriously.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 11:53 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
You clearly haven't hung out in many "Bachelor Nation" TV show fan groups, which are about 90% female. Just saying.

I can list more, but I have to confess that most of my groups are restricted to women only. I've never put energy into thinking about why. It's just kind of happened seemingly organically.

It may be less an internet phenomenon than a "groups you are willing to join" and a "groups you are invited to join" one.

They do selective casting for TV reality shows, it is not like by coincidence they’re 90% female, they target a certain audience apparently.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 11:55 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:

Yes, but check any group in those platforms, even for very generic interests like movies, males always outnumber by a lot.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Apr 2021, 12:05 am

When I was single I used some online sites for asexuals & there were more women there than men thou there was still a lot of men on them as well. Some of the sites were kinda geared towards dating as well. The higher ratio of women there than men is probably a rareish exception due to there being some truth in the stereotype of men wanting sex a lot more than women do. It's probably a lot easier for a man to find a woman who does not want sex than it is for a woman to find a man who does not want sex, at least in the beginning of a relationship anyways. I also went to some EMO sites & the ratio of men to women was fairly evenly spit

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition