All is lost.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

The US has run out of ketchup:
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/business ... x-lead.cnn

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 8:37 am

That planet killer asteroid can't get here fast enough.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 9:31 am

The horrible suffering caused by the shortage will be especially widespread among U.S. children!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 9:51 am

There is also a horseradish shortage, woe is me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:26 am

An entire newspaper dedicated to bums? Aw, cute. :)

Misslizard wrote:

Heard on the radio there's a soy sauce shortage here - some popular brand, can't remember what it's called rn.

And also a shortage of Czechvar beer - something about a shortage of bottles at their brewery/can't get the returned glass due to covid or something. I had to drive a couple cities over to the last liquor store that has any left to buy it for a client.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:30 am

How can I make a decent cocktail sauce without fresh horseradish and ketchup?
Intolerable!!
We have a Strongbow cider shortage here.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:47 am

goldfish21 wrote:
An entire newspaper dedicated to bums? Aw, cute. :)

Misslizard wrote:

Heard on the radio there's a soy sauce shortage here - some popular brand, can't remember what it's called rn.

And also a shortage of Czechvar beer - something about a shortage of bottles at their brewery/can't get the returned glass due to covid or something. I had to drive a couple cities over to the last liquor store that has any left to buy it for a client.

China Lily. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:12 pm

The US has not "run out of ketchup" and there is no "ketchup shortage", there is a specific ketchup packaging for which the demand has temporarily exceeded the supply end's ability to produce in higher volume.

From, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... d-out.html

(Wait a minute, The Daily Mail published an article which stuck to the facts? No hype and sensationalism? It's a miracle!)

Quote:
Restaurants across America also shuttered, with many turning to take-out and delivery only as a way of staying afloat.

This meant restaurants started dishing out single-serve ketchup packets along with their orders, as opposed to simply having a bottle on the table for customers dining at their restaurants.

As a result, retail ketchup sales rose around 15 percent from 2019 to 2020, topping $1 billion, according to Euromonitor.

But as well as the limited supply, the shift is costing hard-hit restaurants more, with single-serve packets more expensive than bulk.

This comes as the price of ketchup has also soared over the last year due to demand outpacing supply, with packet prices 13 percent higher than back in January 2020, the Journal reported.

Long John Silver's, which runs around 700 fast food joints across America, told the Journal it is spending an extra $500,000 a year on ketchup than it did in pre-pandemic times.

Heinz said it is boosting manufacturing and developing new innovations in an effort to meet the surge in demand.

Steve Cornell, Kraft Heinz's president of Enhancers, Specialty and Away from Home Business Unit, told the Journal the company is opening new manufacturing lines starting with two in April.

This will bolster production by around 25 percent to create more than 12 billion packets a year of the condiment, he said.

The company has also increased shifts at its plants and diverted production from some varieties toward making more single-serve packets.

'We're busy doing everything we can,' Cornell told the Journal.

Heinz has also developed a no-touch ketchup dispenser in efforts to find alternatives to the single-serve packets that can still be safe amid the pandemic.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:45 pm

The ketchup packet thing is stupid, anyways, considering most people are grabbing takeout and going home.. where they have two Costco sized bottles of ketchup already.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 7:01 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
The ketchup packet thing is stupid, anyways, considering most people are grabbing takeout and going home.. where they have two Costco sized bottles of ketchup already.
ONLY two?  I count three in the pantry and one in the fridge!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 7:22 pm

Looking realistically at how much our culture has educated itself on cross-contamination, I foresee that restaurants, even the classy/expensive ones, will be going permanently to single-serve packets of every seasoning and condiment.
You can wipe a packet with alcohol or bleach and be perfectly safe:
There is no way to be sure that a bottle of catsup, taco or Worcestershire sauce, or even a salt or pepper shaker has not been somehow (deliberately 8O ?!) contaminated.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ONLY two?  I count three in the pantry and one in the fridge!

Took a stab in the dark. I almost never eat ketchup so don't know or care what the inventory is at home. But my last major Costco shop was ~$1200 + all the food that was already home = there's typically $3-4K worth of food in the house - which could include extra ketchup, I dunno.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 2:54 am

The soundrack of the apocalypse:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 3:01 am

goldfish21 wrote:
... most people are grabbing takeout and going home.. where they have two Costco sized bottles of ketchup already.

Excellent point.
And even people like me who really shouldn't be eating tomatoes any more have a bottle, albeit a small one, of ketchup at home.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:11 pm

GGPViper wrote:
All is lost.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

The US has run out of ketchup:
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/business ... x-lead.cnn

Blame me for this shortage. I always take extra ketchup packets with my order. I use it to clean certain metal surfaces when needed.