Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2021, 9:59 pm

Pot, the kettle called...

Could easily say the same about some of your questions.

Joe90 wrote:
So autistic people are often said to look 10-20 years younger but we age quicker? :?

Looks like this is just one of those "I will ask before I think" questions, or one of those "this happens to me so it must be an autism thing" questions.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm

I get mistaken for my late teens. Every time I voted in person I was asked if it was my first time and people at the animal shelter I volunteered at before the pandemic were surprised I was in my 20s. The funny thing is that in my early teens people thought I was older than I was because I was tall for my age. So I've apparently looked 18 for ten years.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:15 pm

^I wish I was like you.

I looked like a middle schooler at my high school graduation.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:48 pm

Not only do I think I am aging slower than expected, but a have a hypothesis as to why that might be related to ASD. It is well know that there are correlations between ASD and mitochondrial dysfunction. I believe I have many mitochondrial related comorbids as well. Mitochondria are also strongly connected to aging, although it is not understood very well. Here is an article that discusses mitochondrial dysfunction resulting in slow aging: Mitochondria: Body’s power stations can affect aging

nomad48
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2021, 11:25 pm

I found the article on WEBMD autistic people do have shorter lifespans, that doesn't mean some don't live to 100, but on average the lifespan is shorter.

People with autism pass away younger on average than those without the condition, according to recent research.

The Swedish study found that adults with autism and a learning disability are 40 times more likely to die early due to a neurological condition than those in the general population.

Adults with autism, but without an additional learning disability, were nine times more likely to die from suicide than those without autism.

The Swedish study, carried out by the Karolinska Institute, was based on the health records of 27,122 autistic adults diagnosed between 1987 and 2009, compared with more than 2 million people in the general population.

The researchers found that people with autism died 16 years earlier at an average age of 54. Adults with the condition and learning disabilities died more than 30 years earlier than people without autism at an average age of 39.5 years. Adults with autism and without a learning disability died on average 12 years earlier, at 58.

The condition affects how people communicate and relate to others, and it influences how they make sense of the world around them. Symptoms can range from mild to very severe.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 11:56 pm

So far, observation tells me that...

Autistics in general;
Feel (emotionally) younger. Too innocent/clueless.
Feel (mentally) older. Too serious.
Feel (sensory) older. Too tired.
Feel (experience) younger. Too curious/naive.

More like at weird odds of being developmentally lagged or underequipped, while working in a life of high risk and low reward.

It does not speak of lifespans.
But more about the relative experience of one's life and living.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:14 am

Blue_Star wrote:

Joe90 wrote:
So autistic people are often said to look 10-20 years younger but we age quicker? :?

Looks like this is just one of those "I will ask before I think" questions, or one of those "this happens to me so it must be an autism thing" questions.

I don't relate everything to autism though so I have rarely asked one of those questions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 6:49 am

All I’m saying is that autism does not INEVITABLY result in a reduced lifespan.

I understand that certain factors might reduce the lifespan of someone with autism....these same factors also reduce the lifespan of people who do not have autism.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 7:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
All I’m saying is that autism does not INEVITABLY result in a reduced lifespan.

I understand that certain factors might reduce the lifespan of someone with autism....these same factors also reduce the lifespan of people who do not have autism.

I've read lifespans about different conditions other than autism.

The common trend is "comorbidities are deadly".

Plenty of conditions are thrown around and tend to be paired with one another; intellectual disability, ADHD/ADD, learning disability, cerebral palsy, chronic fatigue, ehler danlos, down syndrome, cancer, mental illness, etc...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:00 am

League_Girl wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I also quit my energy drinks for good and back to drinking only water again. That should help my skin since lack of water ages your skin faster making you look older.

Drinking water is OK. Drinking to much isn't good. The body needs to keep a level of salt in it's fluids. Drinking to much causes the body to get rid of the water by peeing more and with that to lose a lot of minerals and for this fluids and the skin gets more wrinkles. Drinking to much but preventing eating salt can even kill people.
You need sun light on your skin for generating vitamin D. But you don't have to stay for hours in the sun for that. Women who did prevent sun light to much have been found to develop more likely breast cancer. May be because their immune system was less trained for fighting damaged cells. But limiting sunlight and especially preventing sunburn is OK. Skipping stress and relaxing more often is a very good decision because to much stress may cause people to age a lot faster. Best is to keep anything that you do or eat and drink within a healthy amount.
For answering the question - that depends on each ones genes and life style.

And yet all these articles I am reading by dermatologists are saying sun exposure creates wrinkles and lines on your skin and age spots, etc. and it's been freaking me out. My mom has tons of sun skin and I haven't started it yet. Now I hate my smile lines and laughing lines because the articles are saying those are wrinkles and now I am scared I am aging prematurely since teens are not supposed to have those and in your twenties. :(

Sunlight does cause damage to the skin. However, it greatly depends upon the amount of sunlight and certain genetic factors. If you want to keep your skin looking younger, keeping protected when out in the sunlight is a given. The best method would be to avoid it completely, but what fun is that?

When I was in grad school, I taught general chemistry labs as part of my duties. There was a certain sorority whose members I could easily pick out every time. They were usually 19 to 21 years old, but had skin tanned to the consistency of leather. Not good at that age for so many reasons. When I asked them how much that they tanned, the usual answer was four to seven hours a day. I explained that they were setting themselves up for skin cancer if they continued to do this. Some of them listened, but some I could not reach. One of the women that I did reach found a strange mole shortly after I talked to her and it was skin cancer. She thanked me for saving her life as she would not have stopped sunbathing if I had not talked to her about it beforehand.

Life is full of dangers. It is best to pick the ones you want to face, rather than to risk the ones you do not. Do not be afraid of sunlight, respect it for what it can do.

IrreversibleMistakes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2021, 10:49 am

I personally don't care about my external appearance that much rather than my internal one and my health.

I appear quite youthful despite in two or some years pushing 30.

I don't stay out in the sun. Where I live it's mostly bad weather all around and not beach weather.

Also I stay in home all the time anyway. And thanks to lockdown I don't even need to commute to office.

I know U don't like showing up our story, but pleae,see the scheule.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:49 am

Joe90 wrote:
Blue_Star wrote:

Joe90 wrote:

I don't relate everything to autism though so I have rarely asked one of those questions.

So do I so I don't what kind of day you were having when you made that comment.

maybe I should have posted this in The Haven. :roll:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:56 am

Since autism is often genetic, and there are a lot of different genes suspected to cause it, maybe some of them make people age a bit slower or faster.

I get told I look younger than I actually am, but I'm only 20. A lot of people get told that at my age.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:51 pm

People think I'm a lot younger than I am.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 11:29 am

I haven't aged faster. My wrinkles give my age (~50) away, but my behavior outshines my physical appearance so people think I am younger. I have light, freckled skin which I didn't care for and am highly expressive: wrinkles. I am doing some facial treatments now to get rid of sun damage. I have sensory issues and follow rules, so eat well and exercise: fitness. I am super stressed but also super joyful. I almost didn't make it past my 20s, but since I did, I hope to get to my 100s! (My AS-like favorite cousin died in her late 20s, so our "average" lifespan is closer to that study's 50 than not. Then if you consider my undiagnosed but AS-like mom -nearing 80- and grandma -passed in her 90s- the average improves.)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 2:57 pm

Well guys this is just crazy, apparently my almost 7 year old is aging than her own age because she already has a line under her eyes on each side and all the dermatologist articles are calling them wrinkles and say it's aging lmao. Any line on your face is due to aging so that means my daughter must have an aging disease lmao. But still she looks no more than 8 years old. If people are going to be using any body flaws and lines to guess your age, well that will be a lot of teenagers looking like 35 year olds due to fine lines on their skin and fore lines and laughing lines ort smile lines and don't forget lip hair. I have also had a orange peeled chin since puberty. But yet no one had ever thought I was 30 when I was a teen.

After I started taking my new meds I am thinking all these articles are just gimmicks written by dermatologists to make money to feed off of peoples insecurities. If they can tell you it's all due to age, you will go in and they make money since insurance never covers anything cosmetic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.