One-Third Of COVID-19 Survivors Suffer From Neurological Disorders

https://www.iheart.com/content/2021-04- ... 1_readmore

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:27 pm

And then a number of them have this to deal with,

Quote:
Given the lack of testing in the first months, many “long haulers,” like Andersen, have no laboratory proof of infection.

https://californiahealthline.org/news/a ... ustration/

The thing is a mess, that's for sure.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:31 pm

And that bit from the iHeart radio article,

Quote:
The researchers were not able to determine why so many people developed neurological disorders and said that more studies need to be conducted to find out if the causes are psychological, biological, or both.

brings to mind,

Long Covid isn’t as unique as we thought

The nagging symptoms long-haulers experience reveal a frustrating blind spot in medicine.
By Julia Belluz Updated Apr 7, 2021, 3:14pm EDT

https://www.vox.com/22298751/long-term- ... r-symptoms

Quote:
Doctors have noticed long-term illnesses after an infection since at least 1889

While there’s no doubt long Covid is a real condition worthy of diagnosis and treatment, “this isn’t unique to Covid,” Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at the Yale School of Medicine, said. Covid-19 appears to be one of many infections, from Ebola to strep throat, that can give rise to stubbornly persistent symptoms in an unlucky subset of patients. “If Covid didn’t cause chronic symptoms to occur in some people,” PolyBio Research Foundation microbiologist Amy Proal told Vox, “it would be the only virus that didn’t do that.”

Even with growing awareness about long Covid, patients with chronic “medically unexplained” symptoms — that don’t correspond to problematic blood tests or imaging — are still too often minimized and dismissed by health professionals. It’s a frustrating blind spot in health care, but one that can’t be as easily ignored with so many new patients entering this category, said Megan Hosey, assistant professor at the Johns Hopkins Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

“It has always been [and] is the case that patients who get sick experience high levels of symptoms like those described by long-Covid patients,” she said. “We have just done a terrible job of acknowledging [and] treating them.”

Quote:
These effects, though unnerving, aren’t unprecedented. Chronic symptoms, especially fatigue, have lingered after the typical recovery periods for viruses as varied as West Nile, Polio, Dengue, Zika, seasonal flu, and H1N1 as well as the new coronavirus’s cousins MERS and SARS-1. Run-of-the-mill strep throat can develop into rheumatic fever, which can cause fatigue, painful joints, and fluid buildup around the heart. While reporting this story, I realized I was once a long hauler. I lost a summer in college to mononucleosis, caused by the Epstein-Barr virus; for weeks, I had no appetite and could hardly muster the energy to get out of bed.

The phenomenon, sometimes called “post-viral syndrome,” has been documented for more than a century, as far back as the 1918 Spanish flu, when there were Spanish flu long-haulers — scores of people who survived the deadly virus but had long-term symptoms, including depression, sleeplessness, “loss of muscular energy,” and “nervous complications.”

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 08 Apr 2021, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:33 pm

I had COVID in March, 2020. I couldn't get tested for it. Testing on a decent scale only started maybe April or May, 2020 (In NYC).

The only evidence that I had COVID is my positive antibodies test.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 7:27 pm

Dear kraftiekortie,
If you are having no follow-up symptoms to your bout with this wretched disease, I am so happy for you.
You are one of the nicest, most encouraging and positive people on WP, and I am sorry that you had to experience Covid at all.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2021, 8:43 pm

One thing the Covid vaccines have done is to lessen the symptoms of long-haulers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 12:39 am

This is me: I caught a mild case of COVID in early March, and Long Haul symptoms started showing up shortly after I recovered. I've always had some auto-immune issues, but now they are much worse.

It's pretty awful, and it's so frustrating to see so many people who are okay with gambling on this kind of virus.

I'm surprised nobody else here has it. They think a lot of it could be due to gut issues.

adoylelb90815 wrote:
One thing the Covid vaccines have done is to lessen the symptoms of long-haulers.

I don't know, I'm hearing mixed results on that one. A lot of people are feeling better after getting the vaccine, but now they're starting to say that it only lasts for about three weeks. But the media really jumped the gun.
It also might depend on which vaccine they get, studies are still ongoing.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:28 am

I am SO glad for this topic being discussed!
Please, anyone, everyone, who’s experienced Covid OR any of the vaccines, PLEASE tell us your experiences!
The media is not/can not keep up with this!
I am terrified of the vaccines; I feel very strongly that nowhere near adequate testing was done.
Frankly, I feel that the trusting, frightened people worldwide who are rushing to get those shots are the human test subjects.
Just my negative, frightened, paranoid opinion.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:14 pm

Sylkat wrote:
I am SO glad for this topic being discussed!
Please, anyone, everyone, who’s experienced Covid OR any of the vaccines, PLEASE tell us your experiences!
The media is not/can not keep up with this!
I am terrified of the vaccines; I feel very strongly that nowhere near adequate testing was done.
Frankly, I feel that the trusting, frightened people worldwide who are rushing to get those shots are the human test subjects.
Just my negative, frightened, paranoid opinion.

I feel the same way.I’m not afraid of older vaccines,just ones developed so fast.And with all the mutations of Covid, the vaccine may not even work with some of them.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 11:10 pm

I agree with every word you wrote.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 11:16 pm

Sylkat wrote:

Experts are saying that if there were going to be adverse effects, we would have seen them by now.

I'm just on the fence because, with the Pfizer vaccine at least, they deliberately avoided testing on people who had already contracted COVID.

So far, most Long Haulers are tolerating the vaccines well, but there are still rumors that certain vaccines should be avoided, and certain vaccines are better for us...so I'd still like to wait until some more studies are completed.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 9:28 am

I know I don’t want the Johnson and Johnson one.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... c.amp.html

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:24 pm

There have been serious reactions to all of the vaccines.
Apparently rare, but it has happened.
And ‘they’ do not have any way of testing for sensitivity to whatever some people are reacting to.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:25 pm

"They" need to get their shite together, don't they? ^ :evil:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:17 am

I don't know...6 people out of 7,200,000 sounds like a very, very tiny number to me. The AstraZeneca vaccine has similar numbers, BTW.
It doesn't say how recently the women acquired this disorder, I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent recall at one of their facilities.