Advice for working in a call center

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jsilber95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2021, 7:46 pm

I’m about to graduate law school and got a job working at a call center in a law firm. Upon passing the bar I will become an associate lawyer at that law firm. If I pass the bar the first time I will be sworn in in December. I’m having a hard time working in the call center as I struggle with speaking on the phone and I have trouble figuring out when it’s my turn to speak. Once I become an associate I won’t have to be on the phone nearly as much. Any advice on how to stick it out until being sworn in as a lawyer? I will not give up!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:00 am

I don't have experience with this kind of work, but, in your position, I would practice phone conversations with someone to get tips about things like taking turns speaking during calls.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 1:59 pm

jsilber95 wrote:
I’m about to graduate law school and got a job working at a call center in a law firm. Upon passing the bar I will become an associate lawyer at that law firm. . .

Hi, welcome to WrongPlanet! :jester:

And Congrats and two thumbs up on your upcoming graduation and your new job ! ! ! :D

Okay, even when a restaurant is busy, a good waiter or waitress will abbreviate steps but not skip them. Fast but not hurried, that kind of thing. Efficient but still matter-of-factly friendly.

And summarizing and distilling cases for a colleague or senior partner, I mean, that’s a good skill to ramp up and get some experience on, right?

If you happen to interrupt someone on the phone, I’d just say, “Oh, I’m sorry, please go ahead,” or something similar in you own words. The person might either go ahead, or they might say, “no, you go ahead.”

And please don’t build up a person’s hopes too high.

Your summary will be reviewed by another lawyer on staff. And there’d be all kinds of reasons they might choose to pursue it and all kinds of reasons they might choose not to, right?

In any case, all the best and hope you continue to learn and grow in your chosen field. :nemo:

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2021, 5:14 pm

They should train you for the call center job. You're allowed to ask for training or help. Ask nicely and I'm sure they'll help you out. If you have a good attitude, that's really all that matters. Congratulations on becoming a lawyer. That's very exciting.