Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:40 am

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:12 am

Brictoria wrote:

I watched the video and this woman made some good points. I disagree though with the notion that calling out the lingering effects of centuries of slavery and racism as victimology; it can be, and many blacks do that, but rightfully calling out systems of racism that still have vestiges that reverberate even up until today doesnt seem like trying to be a victim, it genuinely is a therapeutic modality to call out oppression and harms done to oneself if it means seeking redress, understanding suffering and finding root causes to be addressed, process, redressed and healed from. Malcolm X for example always used to call out racism and the legacy of slavery but it wasn't to tell blacks that they should remain victims but the opposite; he wanted the blacks to know the reality that they reached a point of suffering because of suffering beyond their control so that they can regain their control and repudiate the system that kept them down.

But otherwise I agreed with the rest of what she said. I myself never heard of Tony Timpa until she brought it up, and watching that video scarred me.

Master Oogway

traven
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:51 am

Radio (Télévision Libre des) Mille Collines returns stronger than ever?
"..was known for her calls for machete violence; unlike Kantano, who called for the use of firing squads, Bemeriki told listeners to "not kill those cockroaches with a bullet — cut them to pieces with a machete”

aka the multinational corporations' great leap forward

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:59 am

While there are some doubtlessly "race hustlers," (the Rev. Al Sharpton in his younger days filled the bill, but not the mature Rev. Sharpton), the fact remains, that designation is used by the racist right to silence the voices of minorities looking for justice. If MLK was still alive, or hadn't died a martyr, they would have called him a race hustler.

IrreversibleMistakes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2021, 11:54 am

Wherever there is opportunity, some charismatic individuals will find it easy to "race hustle".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 12:30 pm

I think you can count members of MAGA and the QAnon cult as Race Hustlers -- grabbing attention for themselves whenever they claim a white person has been allegedly cancelled or otherwise discriminated against.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 2:18 am

Fnord wrote:
I think you can count members of MAGA and the QAnon cult as Race Hustlers -- grabbing attention for themselves whenever they claim a white person has been allegedly cancelled or otherwise discriminated against.

That could potentially be true, should they be claiming the person's race was the cause. On the other hand, were they not to have claimed that, a third party asserting that was the reason for their actions would almost certainly be a race hustler...