Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, dead at 99

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 6:39 am

Quote:
At noon London time, the Royal Family released a statement.

“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

Further announcements will made in due course.

“The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”

The Royal standard, the flag of the family, is flying at half mast at Buckingham Palace.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-dead-at-99/news-story/a6d9590b0270702812da89c064a0c310

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

09 Apr 2021, 6:52 am

And they haven't stopped telling us about it for the past half an hour on BBC2. Sad for the Queen though after them being together so long.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 7:00 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
At noon London time, the Royal Family released a statement.

“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

Further announcements will made in due course.

“The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”

The Royal standard, the flag of the family, is flying at half mast at Buckingham Palace.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-dead-at-99/news-story/a6d9590b0270702812da89c064a0c310

The man was apparently a WW2 hero who served valiantly and with distinction in the Mediterranean theater and later on the Pacific theater. I am by no means a fan of the British Royal family, however I have to go respect to where respect is due. Say what you want about the British Royal family, but you'd be hard pressed to name a royal family throughout history that produced half the lions with even half the mettle as British Royal family. From William the Conqueror to Richard the Lionheart to Prince Philip, never has a lineage of lions been more well known.

RIP

Master Oogway

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 7:07 am

The House of Windsor, officially, has only been on the British throne since Edward VII in 1901.

They were originally The House of Saxe-Coburg—but it was changed to Windsor because of anti-German sentiment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 7:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The House of Windsor, officially, has only been on the British throne since Edward VII in 1901.

They were originally The House of Saxe-Coburg—but it was changed to Windsor because of anti-German sentiment.

Phillip was Danish while his own parents were members of the Greek royal family. Quite a colourful character and despite his cringeworthy public moments my condolences to the Windsors for their loss.

Now I wonder if Meghan will be coming for the funeral?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 8:42 am

May G^D save the Queen!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:05 am

BBC wrote:
Philip remained physically active at an age when most men would have relished retirement.

Yes I know, you've told me 15 times already thanks BBC!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:08 am

OutsideView wrote:
BBC wrote:
Philip remained physically active at an age when most men would have relished retirement.
Yes I know, you've told me 15 times already thanks BBC!
You are experiencing the same thing we yanks experience whenever a major news event occurs -- media saturation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:25 am

It seems endless whenever something happens with the Royals. It's on four of the five main channels.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:29 am

When someone dies at age 99, I go, "Good for you!"

My uncle died a few days ago. He was 97. I wrote condolence letters, but I didn't grieve. He had a super full life! Bomber pilot in WWII; business executive who lived abroad a number of years; 5 wives!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:30 am

OutsideView wrote:
It seems endless whenever something happens with the Royals. It's on four of the five main channels.
When you consider that our "Royals" on this side of the pond all seem to all have Hollywood addresses, and that every day at least one of them has a personal announcement to make ... well ... you have my sympathies.

But my greater sympathies are for HRM.  After all, she has just lost her husband.

:(

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:44 am

Fnord wrote:
But my greater sympathies are for HRM.  After all, she has just lost her husband.

That's my general opinion of the situation, I feel the same for the family as I would for anyone who lost a loved one.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:48 am

OutsideView wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That's my general opinion of the situation, I feel the same for the family as I would for anyone who lost a loved one.
They are, after all, just people.

And they deserve to have their right to grieve in private respected.

Latest word from the Beeb: There will be no public viewing or "Lying in State" procession.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:13 am

He wasn't 99. He was 99 3/4.

We will miss him.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:40 am

He did his best.
He and Her Majesty never stopped trying to be the people that they were raised to be.
Though they were raised in a different time, different world, really, they took their positions, their responsibilities seriously.
Her Majesty will at least be spared the ordeal of maintaining stoical dignity during a huge public royal funeral.
Personally, I feel that he deserved that last grand gesture, but large crowds are much too dangerous.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 11:24 am

RIP Phil The Greek