Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 3:56 pm

I have a smart phone. Does that count?

But honestly I don't know. My ASD assessment says it wasn't necessary to do a full IQ test, just the verbal and nonverbal components. There was no such thing as Gifted when I went to school. I've done a few online IQ tests and I come out high or superior or whatever their jargon is, but I don't know if they're reliable. Also, if you do an online IQ test are you allowed to use a pencil for the maths? I assumed I couldn't, so I did it all in my head. With a pencil I would have been higher.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:31 pm

My math abilities are completely non-existent, whether it's writing down or in my head. In fact I'm so terrible at math that I make people laugh with my poor working out, but I don't get offended, because I find it funny too (they don't laugh horribly).

Spelling and punctuation is great, but my vocabulary isn't very good, although not enough to notice when I'm around NTs but it notices when I'm on WP. (Not that anybody here has pointed it out to me, I just notice it when I read other people's posts). I like writing stories but I'm not sure if I'm that good at it though, as like I said my vocabulary isn't very big and I find it hard to learn new big words to use in a sentence.

I'm good at drawing and colouring, if I'm copying something that is. I have a good imagination though and can colour fantastically, but only with colouring pens and pencils, not with paints.

I can play the keyboard but only with one hand. But I can play a lot of songs and can often teach myself, but I can't read music at all. In fact I don't know much about music at all.

I'm not very good at memorizing facts. But I have a very good autobiographical memory.

I have major issues with geography, but I think that could be related to my poor math skills.

I suck at throwing but I'm good at catching. I can't swim very well even though I've always loved swimming, but that might be related to the fact that I'm too much of a wimp to get my head under the water (also I'm not supposed to get my nose or ears under the water because I could get unwell if I get water in my sinuses and ears).

Learning foreign languages has always been challenging for me so I gave up.

Technology and computers are difficult for me too. I know the basics obviously but I'm not savvy. At school in woodwork (shop class) I designed something but had trouble making it so needed help. But I still got a good grade because of the good creative design I had come up with and the colours I chose.

I think most of my brain is too full of past memories, people's names and birthdays, and my emotions, to be able to retain more intelligent information.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:30 pm

I'm not the brightest star in the sky, but I am the sweetest pea on the farm.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:37 pm

Smarter than the average bear...

...which means pretty sub-average by human standards. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 10:40 pm

I'm too smart for words. :lol:

That's all I can say.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 12:02 am

Double Retired wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
My take on Mensa is exactly the same. Too many people bragging about their score, as if it was a contest.
This has not been my experience though I suppose different chapters might have different cultures.

In my experience only people new to Mensa seek to talk about IQ there. In general, it has absolutely not been the topic of discussion--what would be the point? An elevated IQ is common to all members. Boring. You are more likely to get discussions on food, music, games, home repairs, science fiction, bicycles, etc. (I suspect in the future I might slip the Autism Spectrum into the conversation, too.)

Though I don't recall a lot of talk about sports. I even went to one party during the Super Bowl which is a very big deal to American sports fans...and we watched Fantasia.

Mensa and WP are two places where I am more likely to find someone I can relate to. In general, I feel more comfortable in those two areas than I do elsewhere.

What is, in my opinion, unimpressive about Mensans is how mundane they are. Being really good at taking IQ tests doesn't necessarily translate into being particularly good at anything else.

I am glad you had a different experience than I did. When I met with them many years ago, it turned into an “I am smarter than you” contest based upon your test score. Some of them had to bring money into the discussion to prove their “worth” to the group. Really sad in my opinion. I decided not to join after that point as I saw no need for it in my life.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 12:21 am

Rawto wrote:
I don't think IQ is a definitive measure of a person's entire intellect, but it can come in handy for gauging one's potential in different areas and fields.

You are right. It does not take into account many parts of a person’s mind. For example, it does not measure creativity. You can have a very high IQ score, yet lack any sense of creativity in thought. I see it all the time in the classes that I teach. That mental part is critical to be successful in certain fields that require that skill. I can help grow what is there, but not if it does not exist in the first place. The non-creative students are usually good at memorizing data, regurgitating it for a test and then forgetting it shortly afterword. But that does not translate to long term learning of the subject at hand though.

Having a high IQ is like having a large hard drive on a computer. It might be useful to store data, but it is the computer processor (mind) that dictates at what speed it will operate at. If it does not work together, it will not function as well as it potentially could.

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2021, 8:29 am

I think I’m pretty smart. Plenty of people have told me that I am, and I can see it. I have very developed reading and language skills, though advanced forms of math don’t come so naturally to me. I have scored high on a couple of IQ tests, but everyone says you should take those with a grain of salt. Like any Aspie, I am very good at memorizing information relating to my special interests. However, naturally my social intelligence isn’t so high, at least when it comes to interacting with neurotypicals.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 9:33 am

First you should define 'smart' and afterwards you can ask that.

Are you smart enough to survive on your own in wilderness without tools? Or for hunting and fishing? For repairing cars? Or programming the electronic control units of them? To build an air-craft or a rocket or a gun or a 3D TV? Smart enough to deal the best way with all other people? Can you tell the distance to the center of the earth or to the sun or the galactic center and the speed that we are moving around them? Are you able to protect yourself and others? Or even to define intelligence or 'being smart' in a way that it includes alien life forms, machines and the one ants, octopuses and cats? Or even smart enough to have always fun in life?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 10:10 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
My take on Mensa is exactly the same. Too many people bragging about their score, as if it was a contest.
This has not been my experience though I suppose different chapters might have different cultures.

In my experience only people new to Mensa seek to talk about IQ there. In general, it has absolutely not been the topic of discussion--what would be the point? An elevated IQ is common to all members. Boring. You are more likely to get discussions on food, music, games, home repairs, science fiction, bicycles, etc. (I suspect in the future I might slip the Autism Spectrum into the conversation, too.)

Though I don't recall a lot of talk about sports. I even went to one party during the Super Bowl which is a very big deal to American sports fans...and we watched Fantasia.

Mensa and WP are two places where I am more likely to find someone I can relate to. In general, I feel more comfortable in those two areas than I do elsewhere.

What is, in my opinion, unimpressive about Mensans is how mundane they are. Being really good at taking IQ tests doesn't necessarily translate into being particularly good at anything else.

I am glad you had a different experience than I did. When I met with them many years ago, it turned into an “I am smarter than you” contest based upon your test score. Some of them had to bring money into the discussion to prove their “worth” to the group. Really sad in my opinion. I decided not to join after that point as I saw no need for it in my life.
I'm sorry you had that experience. I will guess that it was someone very new to the organization that started that conversation. In my experience you'd be more likely to hear a Mensan commenting about something dumb they had done. (At one national event one of the national officers did an entire presentation on dumb things Mensans had done--my favorite was when, with hindsight, she wished she had rolled up the windows in her car before taking it through the carwash!)

Currently, if American Mensa tests you for admission, all they tell you is if you are eligible for admission. They will not tell you what your IQ is...something to do with Texas law.

And I reiterate that all they test is how well you do on an IQ test. Not how intelligent you are in any useful way. (My family would gleefully discuss that!)

P.S. American Mensa has a Special Interest Group for people with Asperger's. It is, unfortunately, a Facebook Group and I'm not a Facebook user.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2021, 4:37 pm

I'm not sure to be honest. I love to read and write. I research things a lot. But I struggle a lot with math.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 6:16 pm

I remember I was given an IQ test when in middle school, but my parents refused to tell me what my IQ was.

Having worked with people with IQs primarily under 60 now for some time, I can tell you that IQ has little to do with your ability to negotiate the world around you. Some of my clients are very smart and cunning and get along quite well, but they can't read or write or get through school.

I have come to realize in the last decade or so that it is my relatively high IQ that has allowed me to get by in this world, but that using my IQ to get by, has left little for anything else in the world.

MsJustice
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2021, 6:46 pm

Smarts can be measured in so many different ways.
I have had my IQ measured twice that I know the results of (my current employer tested but did not share my results).
The lower of the two was 147, the other only a few points higher. I missed one question on the SAT. I won a scholarship to a small private college and majored in Philosophy, graduated a semester early and top of my class.
I work a "blue-collar" job but make enough to support a comfortable living and add to my savings. Cicero's On Duty was a huge influence on me... I serve my community doing what I can during the day and study/read/write to improve myself on my own time.
I found out I am Aspie at the end of 2020 by accident when discussing sensory stuff with my therapist that she initially thought was PTSD. I think a lot of my quirks that would have led to a diagnosis earlier were written off because of my IQ as just part of being smart.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 7:20 pm

Not even few 'smart' people are unable to deal well with real life because you have to deal with reality and especially to deal with other people right as well. Life isn't just books nor games nor whining about the world. For being smart you have to master the reality as well. :wink: Don't hide but look up and watch the things and learn to realize them right and overcome your fears to change reality a bit for your fortune ... :wink:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 8:34 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Including but not limited to IQ score?

I am highly intelligent.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 5:31 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am highly intelligent.

Oh Really? Then you are for sure able to tell what that means and to define what intelligence is and how it works then. Please share your wisdom with us!

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
(Rene Descartes)

https://www.azquotes.com/author/3897-Rene_Descartes

:wink: