noise cancelation small earplugs to wear in Aquatic Centers

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2021, 12:02 pm

I won't have my head under water but there is no guarantee that I won't be splashed or anything. But the noise of the machine (don't know what it is but it makes a constant noise) and the people and needing to have the emotional energy to reply when someone says hi or something like that is more than I can manage.

It is the noise of the machine and voices that are the worst.

I have tried sponge ear plugs at other times and no effect. I have tried those kind that have the plastic tip with a sponge at the end that goes in the ear and almost no effect. Definitely not enough to help. I have never tried the kind that are all plastic and look like a 'spiral' type thing.

What do all of you find best? What advice do you have? I don't want big headphones.
What is the difference between ear buds and ear plugs?

The sensory overload is too much. I need ear plugs that work and that are ok in an Aquatic Center and preferably are reusable.

Please tell me your experiences.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 6:37 pm

(I’m really sorry if I come off brusque in this post. I’m exhausted but I wanted to give you information from my experiences before I forgot.)

I’ve tried tons of different earplugs over the years and by far my favorite are custom molded earplugs.

They are expensive but they are reusable and will last years. I have a pair that has filters in them that I can change out to filter different levels of noise. They are often used by musicians. However the filters cannot get wet so I would recommend solid earplugs for your situation.

I would also highly recommend going to an audiologist who is experienced in ear plugs instead of trying to do it do it yourself kit. It can take multiple tries for a skilled audiologist to get the fit just right. It’s especially hard to get the fit right for people who are hyper sensitive to touch like me because I can tell slight differences and such.

Earbuds are primarily designed to play music/audio. Some are have active noise canceling that cancels out certain frequencies of sound. These are electronic and can’t get wet. Earplugs on the other hand are designed to passively block out noise or debris such as water from getting into the ear.

I hope this helps and that you’re able to find something that works for you!

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2021, 10:28 pm

Thanks. I will look into your suggestions, especially about custom molds. I am on Medicaid/Medicare and wonder if they will pay an audiologist to do that.