Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Rawto
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2021, 12:11 pm

Can anyone else relate? My father & sister both have Tourette's syndrome (moderate for my dad, mild for my sister) and I've always been at odds with both of them. It seems that my aspie behavior & their tics seem to irritate the other. I've met several people with ASD at my school over the past couple of years and not once did I ever click with one of them. In fact, I'm pretty sure all of my friends I've ever had were NT. They knew I was a bit off, but I was witty enough to mask it for the most part.
It really sucks having to be in this sort of "purgatory" where I can't seem to fit in with anyone. Some days it seems I'm as normal as can be, and others I just can't function at all.

Can any of you relate to this? Maybe offer some pointers on how to cope with it? Thanks...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:03 pm

I do get along with other NDs.

However, I met nothing alike me.
It's either below my age group, or below my intellectual/emotional/functioning level.

Otherwise... I'm just too disinterested to stick along. :lol: And too inconsistent to stay resonate or in synch.

Observation tells me, you're not alone in a 'purgatory' you speak of.
Not my place, not really... But someone else's.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:10 pm

Hmm, I can't relate there, as I've always attracted other NDs and formed decent friendships with them. I do get along with NT peers as well but I can't seem to get past the acquaintance stage with them, no matter how hard I try. But with other NDs a proper friendship forms. So basically almost all of my friends are non-NT. One of my friends has Asperger's, one of the others has Fragile-X syndrome, one of the others has undiagnosed ADHD but I can tell she does have ADHD, and so forth. I also seem to attract people with learning difficulties, but I don't seem to get along with people with mental health problems such as Bipolar or anger management issues.
Well, I intend to get on with everybody but it depends if they intend to get on with me or not.