Why state mandated paid parental leave is a bad idea

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2021, 11:48 am

I think you missed my point.
There are always issues and problems because life is not ideal.
If you have an ideology that claims to be perfect but the reality is not, you can obviously claim that the reality does not follow your ideology enough.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 11:51 am

[Deleted, repeat post, very strange]

Last edited by AngelRho on 21 Apr 2021, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2021, 11:54 am

By the way - if government is not involved, it's not capitalism. It's anarchy - and it usually leads to uncontrolled rule of mafia or whoever has gathered enough power.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2021, 12:37 pm

magz wrote:
By the way - if government is not involved, it's not capitalism. It's anarchy

Some people do argue that anarcho-capitalism is the only valid form of capitalism.

Quote:
and it usually leads to uncontrolled rule of mafia or whoever has gathered enough power.

Yep. AKA a government. Though obviously a really bad one.

I don't understand how some people seem to not understand* that, if governments are evil, they're not even just a necessary evil, they're an inevitable one. Pretending it can be abolished is the most guaranteed way to enable the worst possible forms of it.

The only way around it would be for all of humanity to revert back to small-scale groups and settlements of one or two hundred people. It's not something necessarily impossible, and it's not an inherently good or bad possibility, but it's obviously not even close to being close to being attainable in any desirable way in any foreseeable future.

* And I do wonder: Do they actually not understand it?...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 2:48 pm

magz wrote:
I think you missed my point.
There are always issues and problems because life is not ideal.
If you have an ideology that claims to be perfect but the reality is not, you can obviously claim that the reality does not follow your ideology enough.

Ah, so I did. Serves me right for posting at work.

Thanks for elaborating. Also, I think it's cool that you share your POV as someone from Poland.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 3:11 pm

magz wrote:
By the way - if government is not involved, it's not capitalism. It's anarchy - and it usually leads to uncontrolled rule of mafia or whoever has gathered enough power.

I have no problem with government. I have a problem with government running businesses...and businesses running government. The proper role of government is to protect its citizens. If a business is causing harm to citizens, it should be punished or possibly shut down if it cannot compensate actual victims of its injurious actions. If someone is killed at work in an accident and the business is responsible, then, yes, it owes something to that person's survivors. They can be taken to court, leaders/managers arrested, etc. This the proper role of laws and courts.

The problem in America is that government regulation is quite extensive. There's hardly any aspect of any person's life that there's not some law about, no good or service you can offer or purchase that can't be taxed beyond the good or service itself--and not for the sake of running government, but rather to punish businesses and consumers.

I might add I feel no animosity towards paying taxes, either. Military and other security forces such as police deserve to be compensated for their service, and I feel it is a citizen's duty to willingly support those who protect us. I understand the need for government. It's HOW MUCH government that I object to.