Silly Things That Make Me Mildly Annoyed

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2021, 1:28 am

Does anyone else have pet peeves that don't really make sense? I know I do. Some of it is concerning my autism, some of it is just human interaction, in general. Both of which leave me perplexed and frustrated. To show you what I mean, here are a few examples:

"I have a family member with [insert ASD here]."

It doesn't make sense why this annoys me, but it does. Do I interpret it as an attempt to make the conversation about them and their family? Is it because they're bringing up a subject I personally don't care about? It's a mystery to me. Each time I hear something like this, I'm always thinking, "Are they here now? Were we talking about them? No? Then why bring them up? I can't care about anyone I haven't met and you can't make me."

"You have autism? But you seem so normal."

Soooooo....what? Are people with autism supposed to stand out like the Elephant Man? I didn't realize it was a requirement to have physical deformities or outwardly odd behaviors to be considered "different." People tell me not to act like this, but when you get this sh*t all the time, you really can't help it. It's like when an attractive girl is asked inappropriate questions by men who should know better.

Telling me my opinions aren't really my own or my opinions will be dismissed because I have autism.

[sarcasm]Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't know I was a robot, incapable of functioning without explicit programming. I had no idea that I don't have a mind of my own. I wish someone would've told me I'm not intelligent enough to function in those terms! Oh, what a fool I am! Where's my live-in aid? I need help tying my shoes![/sarcasm] If people you think are stupid are capable of forming their own opinions based on their morals and desires, then people you look down your nose at for little more than having a disability can do the same. In fact, it's pretty stupid to assume someone with a disability is mentally challenged because Stephen Hawking had a disability and was one of the greatest theoretical physicists. Tone down the ableist faux pas's before you embarrass yourself (not that you haven't done that already).

Feeling the need to flex about their job and telling retail workers to get a real job.

I really don't know where this hate comes from, but it needs to stop. If your self-worth revolves around you having a job, imagine what you'd be without it (it's a difficult and frightening thought, I know). The first mark of being an insecure loser is bragging about your career and shaming others because they don't have what you have. I don't suppose they know how karma works. The general rule is the more negative energy you put out in the world, the more of it comes back to repay you in kind. It won't be me, or anyone else, but somewhere down the line, something pretty catastrophic is gonna happen. Don't take pride in all your hard work (others have worked just as hard and didn't get what you have), count your blessings, and be supportive of people trying to better themselves. If you can't do that, then you deserve to be miserable. I don't have time for that toxicity. I'm sorry your life sucks, but bullying others is not a healthy way of dealing with it. Go see a therapist.

These are just a few examples of the Iceberg of Pet Peeves. I understand social interaction is difficult, especially for us, but sometimes it feels good to get this off your chest. Wouldn't any of you agree? If you have any grievances about this peculiar species known as "humans," don't be afraid to share.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 2:43 am

Dr_Manhattan wrote:
Does anyone else have pet peeves that don't really make sense? I know I do. Some of it is concerning my autism, some of it is just human interaction, in general. Both of which leave me perplexed and frustrated.

Some of the things you mentioned would royally piss me off, others wouldn't bother me much at all.

I would be exceedingly pissed off by, for example:

Dr_Manhattan wrote:
Telling me my opinions aren't really my own or my opinions will be dismissed because I have autism.

So far I haven't encountered precisely the above. But I've encountered my share of people who have peremptorily dismissed my opinions for various other reasons having to do with a general lack of respect for me as a person. That can be infuriating.

And I wouldn't say that this "doesn't make sense." Most people are bothered by blatant disrespect.

On the other hand ....

Dr_Manhattan wrote:
"I have a family member with [insert ASD here]."

This one doesn't bother me at all. In my experience, usually the motive is to learn more about autism, and I am happy to oblige and to exchange info and refer the person to good resources.

As for other things that do piss me off generally, the example that just now popped into my head is men who think they are entitled to command random women to "smile!" Hey, if you want me to smile, tell me a joke or something. My facial expressions are not anyone else's to command.