Satellite data shows up climate forecasts

Page 5 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 1:11 pm

Yahoo!, attributed to the Los Angeles Times: "With water running out, California faces grim summer of dangerous heat, extreme drought"

Quote:
As Southern California braces for unprecedented drought restrictions, long-range forecasts are predicting a summer that will be fraught with record-breaking temperatures, sere landscapes and above-average potential for significant wildfires, particularly in the northern part of the state.

“The dice are loaded for a lot of big fires across the West,” said Park Williams, a climate scientist at UCLA. “And the reason for that is simple: The vast majority of the western U.S. is in pretty serious drought.”

Recently, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the temperature outlook for the transition from spring into summer this year calls for above-normal readings for most of the West.
Quote:
Experts say this summer could be a repeat of last year, when fires burned more than 2.5 million acres across California — more than any other year except 2020.
Quote:
Already this year, California has seen 1,402 fires that have together burned 6,507 acres. That compares with 1,639 fires that burned 4,779 acres at this time last year, said Capt. Chris Bruno of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
The article comments on other locations, as well...
Quote:
While California had its driest January, February and March on record, Alaska and the Pacific Northwest were wet. Across the Pacific Ocean, Australians were fleeing record flooding. Prolonged drought gripped equatorial eastern Africa, raising the specter of famine for millions of people in the Horn of Africa. At the same time, parts of South Africa, such as Durban, received record rainfall. Torrential downpours triggered flooding and landslides in Rio de Janeiro.There are other influences as well. La Niñas usually weaken wind shear in the Caribbean and tropical Atlantic, contributing to increased hurricane activity in the Atlantic Basin. Both 2020 and 2021 were active hurricane seasons, with 2020 going into the record books as the year with the most named storms of any season on record.

This year, forecasters at Colorado State University have predicted 19 named storms, including nine hurricanes. This would be the seventh consecutive above-average Atlantic hurricane season, according to Patzert.
But the article does have some "good" news...
Quote:
In the meantime, forecasters say, the dryness in the western U.S. has a silver lining, at least for Southern and Central California. While the National Interagency Fire Center is predicting that much of the northern portion of the state will see an above-normal potential for significant fires through August, meteorologists are calling for near- to below-normal fire activity in the southern reaches.

That’s because there hasn’t been enough rain to grow the grasses that often serve as fuel for Southern and Central California’s lower-elevation fires, said U.S. Forest Service meteorologist Matt Shameson.
A slow-motion catastrophe is still a catastrophe.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:27 pm

WMO: "Four key climate change indicators break records in 2021"

Quote:
Four key climate change indicators – greenhouse gas concentrations, sea level rise, ocean heat and ocean acidification – set new records in 2021. This is yet another clear sign that human activities are causing planetary scale changes on land, in the ocean, and in the atmosphere, with harmful and long-lasting ramifications for sustainable development and ecosystems, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
In the article I get the impression WMO is concerned.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 4:25 pm

Yahoo!, attributed to USA Today:

"Carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere soars to levels not seen for millions of years, NOAA says"

Quote:
The amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere is now more than 50% higher than pre-industrial times – and is at levels not seen since millions of years ago when Earth was a hothouse ocean-inundated planet, federal government scientists announced Friday.

Quote:
NOAA said carbon dioxide levels in the air in May have reached a point last known when Earth was 7 degrees hotter, millions of years ago.

FACT CHECK: Climate change measured in decades, day to day temperature fluctuation common

The slowdown from the pandemic did cut global carbon emissions a bit in 2020, but they rebounded last year.

"It's depressing that we've lacked the collective will power to slow the relentless rise in CO2,” said geochemist Ralph Keeling of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. “Fossil-fuel use may no longer be accelerating, but we are still racing at top speed towards a global catastrophe.”

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 11:07 am

From Yahoo!, attributed to Huffpost:

"Climate Change Is Supercharging Most Infectious Diseases, New Study Finds"

Quote:
A new paper has found that 58% of infectious diseases that researchers tracked were aggravated in some way by climate-change-related hazards.

More than half of all human infectious diseases in recorded history — Lyme, West Nile, hantavirus, typhoid, HIV and influenza, to name a few — have been exacerbated by the mounting impacts of greenhouse gas-driven climate change.
Sigh. Another twofer.

All we need is a world war. Ooops. :?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 4:19 pm

Well, it can't be an official catastrophe unless it hurts wallets, right?

Yahoo!, attributed to Fortune:

"It gets hotter every year, and a new study shows how much climate change is already costing the global economy"

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 7:17 pm

And now some French cheese is affected...

The Robb Report:

"Drought Has Caused France to Stop Making a Cheese That’s Been Produced for More Than 2,000 Years"

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:24 pm

Yahoo! News: "U.N. chief: Current climate change pledges 'far too little and far too late'"

Quote:
The world has already warmed by 1.2°C due to the greenhouse effect caused by mankind’s burning of fossil fuels, and studies show that that amount of warming is already having a profound impact on the planet, including making hurricanes stronger and worsening drought, heat waves, wildfires, and extreme rainfall events.

Despite pledges from world governments made at past U.N. climate change conferences in Paris and Glasgow, a study by the Met Office in the United Kingdom found that there is a 50-50 chance that the world will exceed 1.5°C of warming by the year 2026.

On Monday, Guterres made clear that current emissions trajectories looked even more grim in the decades ahead.
Quote:
The report also stated that unless world nations strengthened and carried out pledges to reduce greenhouse gas emissions above and beyond current commitments the world was poised to see median warming of 3.2°C (5.76°F) by the year 2100. Warming of that amount would result in a world that is almost unrecognizable from the one we live in today, scientists say, with radically redrawn coastlines due to sea level rise and large swaths of the planet made unlivable due to scorching summertime temperatures.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 4:06 pm

Yahoo! "Climate change made this summer's drought 20 times more likely, study finds"

It focuses on the northern hemisphere. I hope those of you in the southern hemisphere don't feel too left out...I'm sure there's plenty of bad news for you, too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 4:10 pm

I'm not sure the OP is any longer here to defend his position but when 95% of climate scientists agree with human induced climate change it's really a lost cause.

Countless pages of text wasted fighting a tidal wave of evidence

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 5:43 pm

I hope OP is OK! But, yeah, if I'm checking correctly his last post was July.

I would miss his presence. At first his posts put me off, until I realized that rather than self-depreciating humor, he practiced self-appreciating humor...but it was humor. And, yeah, it's hard to tell OP's opinion some times; I'll give the benefit of doubt and assume he was trying to get us to question things without necessarily telling us what we should believe.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:13 pm

I think the OP did occasionally provide some sober statistics that counter the prevailing views on climate change.

Although his sources are mostly questionable. it certainly is a good idea to scrutinise the prevailing views.

Current government initiatives to close down coal fired power stations and force drivers to switch to electric will impact on the poor in our society who will turn off their heaters in winter and freeze to death or sell their cars and rely on public transport limiting their employment prospects. If we are pushing people down this path then the reasons for the panic need to be very very robust.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 10:39 pm

Welcome back, OP!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 10:47 pm

He's back but keeping off hot topics

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 3:38 pm

Yahoo!: "2020 wildfire season in California wiped away 16 years of climate gains"

Sometimes you just can't win.
Sometimes I suppose an Optimist would say they broke even rather than having 30+ years of loss.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 12:50 pm

Yahoo!, attributed to CBS News: "Expert identifies 'key culprit' in mass die-off of Alaska snow crabs"

Quote:
Climate change is a prime suspect in a mass die-off of Alaska's snow crabs, experts say, after the state took the unprecedented step of canceling their harvest this season to save the species.

According to an annual survey of the Bering Sea floor carried out by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, estimates for the crustaceans' total numbers fell to about 1.9 billion in 2022, down from 11.7 billion in 2018, or a reduction of about 84 percent.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 1:31 pm

Have understood that by my extensive reading on this topic that , this planet goes through , has gone through repeated ice ages over the eons the planet has existed. Part of the process of ice ages maturing is global warming.
(As in a predecessor to the actual ice age.) . Am thinking all that can be done is adaptation to circumstances as they progress. Some people may believe decreasing green house gases may help or even delay the enevitable. But these things Will eventually happen regardless of our activities . Obviously stupid activities like Warfare, especially nuclear
Would probably hasten the progression of this situation. :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are