Satellite data shows up climate forecasts

Page 3 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 6:58 am

Yeah like 99.5% of climate scientists must be wrong....lets listen to Sky news

Oh wait.....what's happened to all that ice?

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2021, 5:22 pm

Without a stable climate, there is no agriculture.
Without agriculture, there are no billions of people.

Arguing that it isn't happening because it didn't happen within a predicted time frame is a precarious argument to make. If I predict that I'll die in a year because my doctors predicted that I'll die in a year, and fail to do so, I can't then conclude that I'm immortal. My death is coming. And if I have a terminal disease, I'll probably die earlier than the average, even if it wasn't on day 365 of a one year prediction.

We've had a stable (on average) climate for 12 000 years which has supported agriculture for about 10 000 years.

Climate is moving out of stability into instability.

This change is happening now. At the height of 200 years of humanity's fusion of agriculture/energy/technology.

To say that such things are natural, that humans have nothing to do with it, or to deny it's happening, while about on par with a Skynews level of understanding, would not however tally with the findings of the majority of climate scientists who actually get out in the field.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 7:24 pm

Climate change and covid is mother nature dealing with her human cancer problem and she ain't playing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 8:30 pm

Climate change is happening.
Catastrophization doesn't help. 8)

Quote:
Catastrophizing is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is. Catastrophizing can generally can take two different forms: making a catastrophe out of a current situation, and imagining making a catastrophe out of a future situation.

What is Catastrophizing? - Psych Central
https://psychcentral.com › lib › what-is-catastrophizing

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 8:33 pm

:lmao:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 11:53 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
To say that such things are natural, that humans have nothing to do with it, or to deny it's happening, while about on par with a Skynews level of understanding, would not however tally with the findings of the majority of climate scientists who actually get out in the field.

Sky news is notorious for distorting facts on climate change to fit a particular narrative
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... on-drought

Skynews is about as reliable for climate/global warming as reading QAnon blogs for COVID19 vaccine information.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 1:47 am

DoniiMann wrote:

Arguing that it isn't happening because it didn't happen within a predicted time frame is a precarious argument to make. If I predict that I'll die in a year because my doctors predicted that I'll die in a year, and fail to do so, I can't then conclude that I'm immortal. My death is coming. And if I have a terminal disease, I'll probably die earlier than the average, even if it wasn't on day 365 of a one year prediction.

We've had a stable (on average) climate for 12 000 years which has supported agriculture for about 10 000 years.

This change is happening now. At the height of 200 years of humanity's fusion of agriculture/energy/technology.

IMO Thanos was right but we need 99 percent dead not 50.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 1:54 am

Axeman wrote:
DoniiMann wrote:

That makes Thanos sound almost humanitarian :lol:

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DoniiMann wrote:

That makes Thanos sound almost humanitarian :lol:

IMO he was.

The world population is closing in on 8 billion. 4 billion would still be way past the point of no return. Half a billion would be an acceptable maximum...if population control measures were put in place to ensure zero growth.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:25 am

Reuters: U.N. sounds 'deafening' warning on climate change

Of course, world politics being what it is, there is no shortage of other catastrophes-in-the-making that could get us before climate change does. I don't personally find this very reassuring.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:25 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Reuters: U.N. sounds 'deafening' warning on climate change

Of course, world politics being what it is, there is no shortage of other catastrophes-in-the-making that could get us before climate change does. I don't personally find this very reassuring.

As I have said before, my primary concern is not ending up in a Chinese labour camp. 8O
Climate change pales in comparison. 8)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 2:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
As I have said before, my primary concern is not ending up in a Chinese labour camp. 8O
I disagree...slightly.

I think Climate Change is the biggy. But only if you look at the big picture...which requires taking a longer view of things. I could understand if someone thought it was unlikely to affect them personally because they only expected to live long enough to see the early, less horrible years of it.

However, there are assertions that Climate Change is already killing people. And, given where I live, I think rather than a Chinese labor camp I am more likely to end up in a Canadian refugee camp.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 3:43 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I disagree...slightly.

I think Climate Change is the biggy. But only if you look at the big picture...which requires taking a longer view of things. I could understand if someone thought it was unlikely to affect them personally because they only expected to live long enough to see the early, less horrible years of it.

However, there are assertions that Climate Change is already killing people. And, given where I live, I think rather than a Chinese labor camp I am more likely to end up in a Canadian refugee camp.

The fires of hell are roasting Greece right now. Charon is going to need a garbage barge to ferry them down the Styx.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 12:01 am

Double Retired wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I disagree...slightly.

People have been predicting billions of people dying for quite some time, and they were wrong.
You do understand the message behind the story of "The boy who cried wolf", right?

I have been saying for years that the catastrophizing of climate change damaged the cause.
Refer to Tim Flannery and his exaggerated comments about doom and gloom.
Some of these turkeys people admitted they lied about the extent of the problem because they wanted people to act.
I read somewhere that Al Gore(y) was one of them.

Well, the irony is, the BS has caused them to lose credibility.
And they only have themselves to blame. 8)

BTW, Australian damns will never be filled ever again. 8O
Just ask Timmy. :lmao:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:32 am

I would agree catastrophe is not imminent. Most predictions seem to be talking about things getting really bad by the end of the century...so not imminent. Bad things have already started, however...in the U.S. record levels of heat in the Northwest has already killed people and the drought conditions in the West have created excellent wildfire conditions.

And I think you folk down under have experienced similar things...though you're on your own with the mice!

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:17 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I would agree catastrophe is not imminent. Most predictions seem to be talking about things getting really bad by the end of the century...so not imminent. Bad things have already started, however...in the U.S. record levels of heat in the Northwest has already killed people and the drought conditions in the West have created excellent wildfire conditions.

And I think you folk down under have experienced similar things...though you're on your own with the mice!

I heard feral cats were such a problem in Australia that it is legal to hunt them. That they are destroying the environment by eating every native species they can. So how come they can't do anything about the mice?