Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 8:11 am

My question is whether autistic runners are more or less likely to participate in organized races than the overall population. My guess is we are about equally likely. I don't think a poll would be useful since we wouldn't have many allistic votes here.

I run in races and probably would have at a earlier age had I been socializing more with the runners who I knew that were running in races. When I eventually did talk to some of them I realized I might like races and tried one right away.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 7:46 pm

I like to run but I don't like to race. I like to compete against myself - not other people.
YMMV.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 7:55 pm

I don't like races that don't involve driving.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 12:47 pm

Running in 10ks and half marathons is not a bad shout. I used to be in a couple of running clubs and I noticed quite a few autistic people who had been part of the clubs for years, same with cycling clubs.

I think autistic people are a bit more drawn to the cycling to be honest. Just something I've noticed throughout the years.

It might be something to do with being able to have some freedom as when you're autistic at a younger age you feel a bit trapped in your own bubble.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 7:30 am

Lunella wrote:
Running in 10ks and half marathons is not a bad shout. I used to be in a couple of running clubs and I noticed quite a few autistic people who had been part of the clubs for years, same with cycling clubs.

I think autistic people are a bit more drawn to the cycling to be honest. Just something I've noticed throughout the years.

It might be something to do with being able to have some freedom as when you're autistic at a younger age you feel a bit trapped in your own bubble.
Yes a woman I worked with who was likely ASD was big into mountain biking. This was before there was much talk of the female ASD, so I didn't really think of her as such. But she was a similarly social outcast as me. She probably would have been interested in me too, but there's the whole neither of us having a clue what the other feels things. Oddly, her last name was the same as my ASD mother's, but any family connection would be very unlikely.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 11:32 am

If the participant are treated with respect throughout the process, I think it can be a very healthy and valuable opportunity to all of them.