Concerns about the medicine I consume everyday

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 8:30 pm

I have to take a ton of medication every day not only because I am clinically depressed but I also have high cholesterol, neuropathy, anxiety, and am susceptible to insomnia. Could the medicine make me develop cancer as well as permanently make me rely on it for sleep? I also worry having to take so much will make a potential girlfriend see what I go through as a red flag.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 10:25 am

None of those types of drugs has been strongly related to cancer. If you want to be more sure, you can look up each drug online and read through "adverse events." There is also the consideration of drug interactions. You can check for drug interactions on http://www.drugs.com.

There's a possibility prospective mates may be concerned about your prescription drug use. But illegal drug use would be a more serious "red flag"! Lots and lots of people take meds for anxiety and depression, so I would suggest you relax about that. You are in good company!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 12:41 pm

Yep....it's very common for people to be "on meds."

I wish the drug companies wouldn't just list the side effects. I wish they would give us the prevalence of these side effects. Most of the side effects listed are actually rare. This puts undue fear into people.

You really have to partner with whoever gives you the prescriptions. Some drugs are suitable for someone, but not suitable for another person.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish the drug companies wouldn't just list the side effects. I wish they would give us the prevalence of these side effects. Most of the side effects listed are actually rare. This puts undue fear into people.

KK I can tell you don't look at your drug inserts very often (which is in all cases also online, in case you didn't get a package insert). The prevalence of those side effects usually IS given. But you need a magnifying glass, or possibly a microscope, to read that stuff!

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 1:16 pm

I often wonder what the hell my medication is doing to me as well. (Kraftie that is some good advice, wish someone would have said that to me.lol) I often think my medication is preventing me from getting a boyfriend but it’s probably just me stopping me. I know other people that are on psychiatric medication and they manage to get with someone. Keep focusing on the positive things about yourself. I think good things can happen if you keep doing that. :wink: